Emby won't play on Shield What Am I Missing?

KenFlix21

KenFlix21

Hello all, still new to Emby as I've had all kinds of problems since becoming a Premiere user.

This particular issue has to do with Emby app not playing on Nvidia Shield-2019, two Samsung Tizen TVs (2016 & 2019) & Roku express. Although no problems playing on iPhone 11 and two Apple TVs.

Emby server (4.6.7.0) running on Shield latest (9.0.1). Shield error says Too many errors giving up and proceeds to mark video as played. On Samsung the error is - Playback error, No compatible streams are currently available.

What am I missing? Any ideas? Strange that Emby server runs on the Shield but won't play on the same shield but will play on an Apple device without issue. 

01-playback error on samsung tizen.jpg

02-too many errors on Shield player.jpg

03-emby-4.6.7.0 on shield.jpg

04-android up to date.jpg

embyserver-2022.02.19.pdf

KenFlix21
44 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi @KenFlix21 can you please attach the server log in it's original plain text format rather than pdf? Thanks !

Sorry 'bout that. I see a bunch of transcode logs listed when the server should be idle. EDIT: ok, those logs are from a time when I tried to play a file.

05-transcode logs -2022-02-19 at 1.29.43 PM.png

embyserver.txt

Edited by KenFlix21
correction

Attach the transcode logs from while this is happening. If you open the log you'll see what device was playing to determine what logs to send.

You can also send a log from the ShieldTV.

Hi.  If you installed the server on external storage, I believe you will have to move it to internal for Android 11.

KenFlix21
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you installed the server on external storage, I believe you will have to move it to internal for Android 11.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Please see my comments here and let me know if this is your issue:

Thanks.

Emby was installed after the Shield hotfixes...If the very same files didn't play flawlessly on my Apple clients I'd say this issue has got to be related to the Android update. Why would it gives access to apple devices and not the actual device that the server runs on?  If the Emby fix requires that it be installed on the very small internal factory memory it would essentially cripple the software and make it more or less useless. I suppose for now I'll use my apple clients and see what the future has in store for Emby as my media server.

KenFlix21
49 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why would that cripple the software?

From what I can tell, data migration on the Shield from the internal to an expanded external drive is an all or nothing deal. I only have the option to store all data for all apps on either, or; there is no option to simply move only emby data (currently at 1 gb but just started loading libraries) back to the default location. As it stands now I have 22 GB of data on the external, which is pretty small, relatively speaking. But way too big for Shield's 12 GB internal storage. That means I'd have to prioritize, and Emby wouldn't make the cut. Meaning, if I want to run an Emby server on the shield I either have to use apple clients or run Emby as pretty much the only app on the shield. The latter will eventually run into severe limitations. Maybe 'limit' (to confine) is a more appropriate word than cripple (disable, impair weaken). Maybe not.

I do appreciate your attention in the matter.

Edited by KenFlix21
typo

2 hours ago, KenFlix21 said:

Why would it gives access to apple devices and not the actual device that the server runs on? 

Hi.  The playback on the other devices may not need the same components within the server so they just don't run into this particular error.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm encountering the same issue with my NSTV.

I found this on the transcoding log:  CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE "/mnt/expand/4ca573d9-a36a-426d-8383-2e11e734a814/user/0/com.emby.embyserver/files/ffmpeg/ffmpeg": library "libc++_shared.so" not found: needed by main executable

Here's my logs.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f6018221-c6d9-4dc5-893b-8201369131de_1.txt

I discovered that emby does direct play normally to my smartphone. But the same file is failing to play in my NVIDIA Shield.

Transcoding is failing everywhere,

7 minutes ago, hbbs said:

I discovered that emby does direct play normally to my smartphone. But the same file is failing to play in my NVIDIA Shield.

Transcoding is failing everywhere,

Hi.  You will need to reinstall onto internal memory.

Uninstalled. Reinstalled (it went to the external storage. Moved to the internal before executing)

And it stills giving me the same issue.

Any ideas?

Maniac13

I'd like to add that I'm following this thread as I'm having the same issues with the same/similar infrastructure setup (Emby Server running on Nvidia Shield using a USB drive, and my media on a NAS), and have been trying the same fix suggestions including uninstalling and reinstalling beta 4.7.0.19. Before that last step it was still playing on my Android Pixel (also Android 11) but not on the Nvidia shield, now it's not working anywhere. My logs are pretty much saying the same thing with ffmpeg not found, etc.

I learned that Plex is having issues on Android 11.

Their transcoding is broken. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Edited by hbbs
typo

3 hours ago, hbbs said:

Reinstalled (it went to the external storage. Moved to the internal before executing)

Can you try installing directly to internal storage?

We've confirmed in multiple cases that this solves this particular issue.

7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you try installing directly to internal storage?

We've confirmed in multiple cases that this solves this particular issue.

I'd do that if I knew how to specifically target my internal storage during installation.

Is there a way to do that?

Please, let me know.

PS: I'm using the latest beta

Edited by hbbs

KenFlix21
14 minutes ago, hbbs said:

I’d do that if I knew how to specifically target my internal storage during installation

It’s an either/or situation. You can’t use both external and internal simultaneously. 

Edited by KenFlix21

I tried to reinstall again. But it only goes to external storage first.

Even removed the SD card from my NSTV 2015. Uploaded the apk to my remote storage to no avail.

It fails to install it. Solid Explorer crashes it. Tried five times. All ended up crashing.

It would be great if you guys release a beta that only installs on internal storage. At least for now. 

13 hours ago, hbbs said:

I tried to reinstall again. But it only goes to external storage first.

Even removed the SD card from my NSTV 2015. Uploaded the apk to my remote storage to no avail.

It fails to install it. Solid Explorer crashes it. Tried five times. All ended up crashing.

It would be great if you guys release a beta that only installs on internal storage. At least for now. 

Hi.  My understanding is that you need to configure your Android system to install apps either to internal or external storage.  We cannot control that from the app.

Go to the settings on the device and then "Storage" and look for something along the lines of "Preferred storage location".

On 3/2/2022 at 10:29 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  My understanding is that you need to configure your Android system to install apps either to internal or external storage.  We cannot control that from the app.

Go to the settings on the device and then "Storage" and look for something along the lines of "Preferred storage location".

Such an option doesn't seem to exist.

I have just tested the newest beta 4.7.0.29. Same old. Honestly, I believe am not talking about myself only here. 

There are other people following this thread. I feel that Emby is letting us down. 

I can't install it anywhere else than the SD Card and then move it (before even running it) to internal storage.

I even tried (again) to boot it without my SD card but all kinds of problems appeared because of that. And installation wasn't possible.

Logs attached.

embyserver.txt FFmpeg-transcode-9085223c-4731-4ab0-8b38-04aff386ddea_1.txt

Edited by hbbs
bold, typo

9 hours ago, hbbs said:

Such an option doesn't seem to exist.

I have just tested the newest beta 4.7.0.29. Same old. Honestly, I believe am not talking about myself only here. 

There are other people following this thread. I feel that Emby is letting us down. 

I can't install it anywhere else than the SD Card and then move it (before even running it) to internal storage.

I even tried (again) to boot it without my SD card but all kinds of problems appeared because of that. And installation wasn't possible.

Logs attached.

embyserver.txt 269.39 kB · 0 downloads FFmpeg-transcode-9085223c-4731-4ab0-8b38-04aff386ddea_1.txt 2.42 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, yes this is an issue on the beta channel that we're looking into. Thanks.