Hopefully will help someone

greenhouse

greenhouse

I have had emby for ages on my PC.  I have an old Outlaw 990 and Epson 2k projector and figured it was time to upgrade to 4k.  First was a Sony 4k projector with hdr.  No matter what settings I did between windows 10 and my nvidia 1060 I couldn't get hdr to work properly.  the projector would recognize hdr10 but everything was too dark.  I finally figured out by switching the projector from reference to cinema film 2 and turning off hdr in windows 10,  the brightness and color was much better but not hdr.  I bought a panasonic bluray player for a comparison.  I completely bypassed the 990 for both the pc and panasonic bluray player, connecting directly to the projector.  So with the new panasonic bluray i wanted to see what hdr should look like.  i played John wick 3 4k hdr bluray disc on the panasonic and John wick 3 4k hdr bluray mkv remux file on the pc, 74gb.  My projector recognized the panasonic and showed hdr10 received.  To my disbelief the color quality was much better on my PC without hdr than the panasonic bluray player with hdr but the frame rate looked horrible on my pc.  I noticed my pc was set at 60hz refresh rate and the panasonic bluray player was at 24hz.  So I switched the pc video card from 60hz to 24hz and oh my god it was perfect. The pc through emby theater without hdr was leaps and bounds better than the bluray player with hdr.  Better clarity, brighter, better color, and just as smooth.  I'm so glad because at first i felt like a fool.  long ago the pc was an expensive build and the panasonic bluray player was cheap and felt like a balloon animal.  So not sure what the deal is but apparently hdr on a pc with emby doesn't improve anything and actually looks much worse than enabling hdr through windows 10.  I think part of the key is my 1060 video card.  I believe anything less wouldn't work as well.  that video card is old so getting one isn't an issue..  Also I have an old Intel cpu.  sounds like the new 11th generation Intel cpus won't play bluray.  Not sure if that means disc's only or also bluray mkv files.  Bad time to upgrade computers.  Next step is hooking up my new marantz 7706 and going from 5.1 to 7.2.4 and seeing if emby will play dolby atmos.  Keeping my fingers crossed.