4K movie playback issue

Nuitarius
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Nuitarius
On 3/7/2022 at 1:16 AM, RanmaCanada said:

There is also a DV tool on Doom9 that can convert dual layer to single layer, if need be.

Thankyou Ranma for all the links.

All my DV movies have been ripped with newer version of MakeMKV, so they are all single stream, dual layer profile 7. As far as I know, you do not have any other choice in MakeMKV?

All the forums about this are packed with half solutions and semi-truths. It took me a while to get from profile 7 to 8 as noone has a complete guide that worked. But alas, even though I got to a BL+RPU in profile 8, it did not solve my issue. I actually did it both via mkv as my starting point and as m2ts as my starting point. Same result in the final mkv. Dolby Atmos preserved as well (well my pre/pro said it was Atmos), subs and chapters all good too.

I learned a bunch on DV. Also I knew nothing about demuxing, converting, muxing etc. so at least I got wiser :D

Nuitarius
On 3/10/2022 at 7:20 AM, Nuitarius said:

I have now spent many hours and hundreds of GB HDD space in trying to solve this issue. My suspicion was that DV Profile 7 might not be 100% supported by either your software, the player or the Shield. So I chose to try and convert it to Profile 8 that should be fully supported?!

My conversion was successful I believe. The picture quality looks the same, the HDR fallback on the LG Emby app works flawlessly, and during playback the exact same thing is happening as with the profile 7, when played on ATV app on the Shield.

The Profile 8 has been created from a new m2ts backup of the disc instead of the mkv I created the first time. This means that makeMKV was only used for protection removal on the profile 8 version.

I therefore do not believe that the media is at fault, as they were created from bottom up differently but gave the exact same result during playback. All my other DV movies are behaving the same, so I highly doubt that the original discs are to blame.

I would love to give you 5 minutes samples of these 2 profiles. But can you tell me how I would make the samples and how you would gain access to them?

@ebr
I am unsure if you have read my post yet? When you have time, maybe you can give me a tip to how I can give you some samples?

Hi.  The bottom line is that DV is a proprietary format and support for it - outside of hardware and software with specific licenses - could be spotty.  Especially when you take into account all the different "flavors" of DV.

Samples as large as you have are hard to provide.

Nuitarius

Thank you for the reply

Is there a plan for Emby  to be able to just playback HDR then? Like a setup thing, so that I can have my ripped movies complete, but just have them playback in HDR? That would be cool as else I would have to backup both 4K disc and blu ray disc, which seems like unecessary waste of disc space.

Nuitarius

Yes but can I force Emby to do HDR fallback? As of now when I start a DV movie it will try and play it with DV. But as it will crash everytime I would like to force it to disregard DV.

This could be a setting on each movie

• Solution

Can you please try with the latest beta of the standard Android app?

• Thanks 1

Nuitarius
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Can you please try with the latest beta of the standard Android app?

Installed .42

Eureka.

You guys are the best.

Triggers DV. No lag and no crash in Dune profile 7 and 8.

No Time to Die also no crash/freezing.

Thank you again for the best support.

I will be testing other DV movies in the near future. But I do not see why it should not work.

Keep up the good work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1