4K movie playback issue

Nuitarius
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Nuitarius

I have sent a log on ATV version from my NVIDIA Shield at approx. 1400 hours utc-5

Movie: No Time To Die, 4K, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos

Have not run it on sideloaded version as it has Dolby Vision, and my Nvidia Shield does not support Dobly Vision which we previously have found to then not work at all.

So I ran it on my ATV version. It started up fine with HDR activated. After a few minutes some video stuttering appeared, but then dissapeared. I have not seen this behaviour from any other movie before (4K, HD or SD)

It then suddenly stopped playback and returned to homescreen. All playback progress was lost. I started the movie again and forwarded to just before that moment, and everything was fine. After a few minutes again same procedure. First some stuttering then all fine and then playback stops.

Started up the movie from disc on my Oppo with zero issues.

Can someone help me to figure out what is happening?

Edit: I am running srt subs, which I have not done much of prior to this, as all my movies have PGSSUB. But ATV does not like those, so I am forced to do srt subs

embyserver.txt

Edited by Nuitarius
log added

1 hour ago, Nuitarius said:

I started the movie again and forwarded to just before that moment, and everything was fine. After a few minutes again same procedure. First some stuttering then all fine and then playback stops.

Hi.  Can you reproduce that and then immediately  follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Nuitarius said:

Do you need a new log of the same? I should have sent you one at 1400 utc-5, user Nuitarius

Sorry if I am confused from the request.

Very sorry, I missed that in your original post.

The device is running out of memory.  Is this the "tube" Shield?

Nuitarius
On 2/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, ebr said:

Very sorry, I missed that in your original post.

The device is running out of memory.  Is this the "tube" Shield?

No. The 2017 version.

So the 3gb ram is insufficient? How do I fix that 😆

What else is running on the device at the time?  If you reboot the device and don't start anything else, does the problem still occur?

Nuitarius
On 2/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, ebr said:

What else is running on the device at the time?  If you reboot the device and don't start anything else, does the problem still occur?

Sorry for the delay.

I will try it. I was not aware that any other apps run in the background. Hmmm. Quite possible that it could be the issue then.

I will get back to you.

• Thanks 1

Nuitarius
On 2/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, ebr said:

Hi again. Sorry for the delay. Life happened.

Update. I did a reboot of the shield and did a run of No Time To Die again.

Still same issue.

I have sent this log too. Approx 1500 hours utc-5. Nuitarius

I don't see any errors in that log...

What happens if you reduce the quality setting in the app to transcode this item down to a lower bitrate?

Nuitarius
On 2/27/2022 at 9:23 PM, ebr said:

I don't see any errors in that log...

What happens if you reduce the quality setting in the app to transcode this item down to a lower bitrate?

My Synology can't transcode. I always direct play my content

Nuitarius

I have replaced my old shield with a brand new 2019 Pro model.

Now I can watch DV content from ATV app (still not the standard version as that shows black screen with audio playing)

But the ATV version still stops playback of No Time to Die 2-5 minutes after I start it. No stuttering first anymore though.

Nuitarius

The ATV app on my 2019 pro shield does not work at all anymore.

Played Dune in 4K plus DV. Massive frame rate drops and sudden stop of playback. Identical to No Time to Die.

Also Bourne Legacy in 1080p H264, but this with a constant low frame rate. Feels like it is skipping 500ms of frames and then displaying 500ms of frames and then repeating.

Bourne Legacy plays perfectly fine on standard app version (sideloaded)

I also tried to use all cabling from my Oppo setup that can display all the movies without issues. But the frame rate drops and playback stop continues.

I also have tried to play with only ac3 audio and without subtitles. No change.

Something is not right and I have ruled out many things.

Playback of movies are possible on my PC with a monitor without HDR so the files should be OK.

I have sent new logfile at 15:45 utc-5 user Nuitarius

Nuitarius
On 3/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Please try the  beta release of the app

Hi.

I sideloaded the beta and I hope I tested with the correct one 😆 it says Version 2.0.69g Registered.

I tried the same 3 movies.

Bourne Legacy 1080p has same error. Massive frame rate drops but constant and stable.

The 2 DV movies were different than before. No Time To Die looked promising as it did not lower the frame rate, but after a few minutes it freeze framed. Only option was to stop.

Dune did not go that well. It freeze framed very quickly at "Legendary Pictures" black screen just before the first sand scene. But same effect as in the Bond movie. I could only stop movie.

New log sent at 16:20 utc-5 Nuitarius

Edited by Nuitarius

Nuitarius

I have tested with the newest official emby app in LG OLED tv.

It only uses HDR so DV is stripped.

Everything is running perfect with both No Time To Die and Dune.

So it seems to be the DV layer that I am having issues with.

The LG app uses Direct Play and the ATV on shield uses Exoplayer. Are they different players?

The device is still running out of memory.  I'm not sure why this would only be happening in your environment unless there is something unusual installed on the device or it is something about this particular media.

Nuitarius
14 hours ago, ebr said:

The device is still running out of memory.  I'm not sure why this would only be happening in your environment unless there is something unusual installed on the device or it is something about this particular media.

My Shield is brand new. I have only installed software to send/recieve files to be able to sideload emby. Other than that, I have not installed anything else than the software that is available during the startup wizard of the shield.

Do you have any suggestions to me as to what I can do? because I am a little stumped here on how to get my DV media playable. I use MakeMKV to rip the discs and I do not tamper with it afterwards at all.

I will have a go at other 4K material I have, just to see what happens. But I would appreciate help on what I can do to figure out how to solve this.

Nuitarius
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you make one of the problem items available to us to test?

I am unsure how to make 88GB available for you. 

HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

His first link clearly states that Nvidia does not support it, and may never. Is this something you are aware of, or do you have other knowledge that says otherwise? Would this explain why the memory is being filled? Or will I be wasting my time trying to build a new mkv file that has single layer DV?

3 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

https://androidtvnews.com/nvidia-shield-dolby-vision/

Are you ripping them as single layer or dual layer.  https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602 418 pages and 3 years of data.

Oh wow. Thanks for linking to enlightening stuff.
I have read a lot of what you linked to. I will try and make a test on Dune, and see if I can get my ultimate result DV + lossless audio. I will have to do some ripping-magic for sure.
Fun times :D

I will post my results as soon as I have them.

Edited by Nuitarius

Nuitarius
On 3/6/2022 at 6:25 PM, ebr said:

Can you make one of the problem items available to us to test?

I have now spent many hours and hundreds of GB HDD space in trying to solve this issue. My suspicion was that DV Profile 7 might not be 100% supported by either your software, the player or the Shield. So I chose to try and convert it to Profile 8 that should be fully supported?!

My conversion was successful I believe. The picture quality looks the same, the HDR fallback on the LG Emby app works flawlessly, and during playback the exact same thing is happening as with the profile 7, when played on ATV app on the Shield.

The Profile 8 has been created from a new m2ts backup of the disc instead of the mkv I created the first time. This means that makeMKV was only used for protection removal on the profile 8 version.

I therefore do not believe that the media is at fault, as they were created from bottom up differently but gave the exact same result during playback. All my other DV movies are behaving the same, so I highly doubt that the original discs are to blame.

I would love to give you 5 minutes samples of these 2 profiles. But can you tell me how I would make the samples and how you would gain access to them?