Shield Experience 9.0.1

CBers

blumamba
14 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

There is a known problem with the standard Android app and DV profile 7/8 which started before SE9. DV doesn't seem to work with DV sets, and people with no DV only get SDR when they should get at least HDR.

I did not have any issues prior to SE9 with the exception on occasion, RGB blobs would cover a frame or 2 for 1 second, then it went to just little portions during scene change. At some point prior to SE9 that improved dramatically to where its almost unnoticeable.

Sony Bravia 85X950H - 8k hdmi - Shield pro - 8k hdmi - Denon x6300h with the latest firmware installed.  

General
Unique ID                                : 181809230501512364930643477425795646420 (0x88C72F226A5399D8BB3BA121665043D4)
Complete name                            : E:\Media\Movies\Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (1982)\Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (1982).mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 46.2 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 56 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 56.8 Mb/s
Movie name                               : Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Encoded date                             : UTC 2022-01-27 19:52:29
Writing application                      : DVDFab 12.0.6.0
Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.2 + libmatroska v1.6.3

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate                                 : 54.2 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.272
Stream size                              : 44.1 GiB (95%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : MLP FBA
Format/Info                              : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA
Commercial name                          : Dolby TrueHD
Codec ID                                 : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 2 465 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 3 189 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Stream size                              : 2.01 GiB (4%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

FrostByte

Nice maybe it was fixed for those with DV sets.  Non-DV like my Samsung though still gets SDR using the standard app and profile 7/8 on the Shield which means I watch movies with ATV.

blumamba

So I have eat part of my statement.

I found that the DA issue is screwy, not sure why.  But these two are used as test files.  Star Trek did work with DA with the DV audio sync issue now only Truehd 7.1.....So I tried the Star wars and it has DA with the DV audio sync issue??  

This DA issue only appears in some DV files.  As you can see, unless I am missing something they are the same?  So why did the DA get dropped in Star Trek but not Star Wars?

The regular Bluray files with DA play fine as well.

Every Star Trek DV losses the DA now?  Like I said, played fine prior to SE9.

Medioinfo - DV Star Trek.txt Medioinfo - DV Star Wars.txt

FrostByte

Ya, they look the same to me also.  Have you tried using Makemkv instead of DVDFab or you could even try remuxing to see if that helps.

I don't see anything in the known issues on the nvidia forums pertaining to anything Dolby though unless using a headset.

blumamba

Ok, so I may have one too many hard lemonads,  The star treks dont have DA.......which is the test file I was using due to the DV audio sync.  That is a real issue and not because I had a stupid moment...🤭

So its the DV audio sync and the skip forward or back or resume that is left for me anyway.

So, to commemorate my stupid moment, I am going to have another hard lemonade😉🤣

• Haha 1

MonKaiju

After upgrading to 9.0.1 I ran into an issue where videos wouldnt play. They would try to start (blue spinner) then just go back to the menu. Uninstalling/reinstalling the Emby app fixed it

• Like 1

FrostByte

Just as a test I fell back to ATV version .66 and I can no longer get DFA to work.  It was taking 60 some seconds for FILE access before the latest hotfix and now after 5 - 6 seconds it automatically fails over to HTTP.  I assume it has something to do with the delayed mounting of external files fix they made in the latest release.

Anyhow, without the additional permissions discussed earlier it still won't make the smb connection.

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer
17 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Just as a test I fell back to ATV version .66 and I can no longer get DFA to work.  It was taking 60 some seconds for FILE access before the latest hotfix and now after 5 - 6 seconds it automatically fails over to HTTP.  I assume it has something to do with the delayed mounting of external files fix they made in the latest release.

Anyhow, without the additional permissions discussed earlier it still won't make the smb connection.

You are talking about the direct file path?

FrostByte

Yes, ATV can't create its own smb connection w/o ebr giving it more permissions.  Which isn't going to happen because of the warning Google wanted to place on the app.

So prior to this latest hotfix when using version .66 it would fail to mount the external files using smb and then Android would mount the files using its own connection.  Now it fails over to HTTP after about 5 seconds because it doesn't have the permission to create a smb connection.

So basically, it's doing for me now what it was doing for you guys all along.

Anyhow, I'm back on the RC and using HTTP.  Don't really feel like rooting my Shield until I get something else.

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer

One could always revert back to 8.2.3 to regain that ability. There is really not much “gain” in android 11 after all. I’ve toyed with that more than once. There are features in android 11 that have enhanced the operation of other apps (Dolby audio processing which for me removes the stutter in video in Apple TV+…weird, but it does) so i guess it’s a trade-off. At least http has been working but I will miss the ability to test connection issues without direct file path. Without it, and the suggestion of others behind the scenes, I would not have been able to get Uhd remux to work on nvidia shield server just to test the connection a year ago and I think consequently, fixing http. At least for now, it all works.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 2

rbjtech

I've been back on SE8 for a few weeks now, zero issues - Android 11/SE9 provided nothing new for me (Dolby Audio Processing is turned off anyway - I have a AVR for that)  - so I'm using DFA now as I always did..   Everything with DV/DA plays and sync's perfectly - don't touch it ! 😎

To note - Even though the 'upgrade' flag is firmly off - I still get nagged about going to SE9 every couple of days - I may capture the call home and see if I can block it on my outgoing web filter/fw ...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Audiomixer

@rbjtech Curious, now that @FrostByte is no longer special since dfa no longer works for him, have you measured time difference between http and dfa with 8.2.3 loading and playing a file? Other then the dfa, I haven’t seen a reason to revert although I’ve been tempted to do one of the shields just for kicks.

• Like 1

FrostByte

There are times when I see a very quick pause while streaming that wants me to go back to Android 9.  I'm sure now that DFA is gone these pauses stand out more and it could be almost anything causing it.

I guess if I brick the thing, I can always buy a new one.  Been eyeing a Zidoo also.

rbjtech
12 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

@rbjtech Curious, now that @FrostByte is no longer special since dfa no longer works for him, have you measured time difference between http and dfa with 8.2.3 loading and playing a file? Other then the dfa, I haven’t seen a reason to revert although I’ve been tempted to do one of the shields just for kicks.

Yea I did this a couple of weeks ago and used packet captures to do the timings.  There is a post or two in the main SE9 thread I believe. edit - Link

In summary, If the emby server itself (the cpu doing the 'smb>http conversion') is of reasonable spec - then I don't believe there is much in it - infact, the results show http is fractionally 'faster' to start. 

However, if it's a low powered CPU such as on a NAS, or you are running Emby Server on the Shield itself - then I think it does make a difference as you start to load the system - but realistically, if people are trying to run multiple 4K Remux streams on low powered equipment, then I think they probably need to adjust their expectations.

@FrostByte - From the research I did on the Zidoo from about 18 months ago - it's a fantastic bit of hardware, but let down by poor software - the Android Emby Client 'may' work, but forget enhancements such as DV, Refresh rate switching etc as they are all proprietary implementations from Zidoo.

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

@FrostByte - From the research I did on the Zidoo from about 18 months ago - it's a fantastic bit of hardware, but let down by poor software - the Android Emby Client 'may' work, but forget enhancements such as DV, Refresh rate switching etc as they are all proprietary implementations from Zidoo.

Ahh okay.  I'll have to do checking on that. I'm looking for something that can actually play DV FEL.  From what I understand there is nothing (as of now) that can do that from mkv.  They only process the RPU and ignore the EL.

The things that can play DV FEL must have 2 HEVC decoders, be 12-bit, and only from ISO or UHD folder.  I believe the new 12-bit Zidoo boxes can do that along with Dune and a couple others maybe.  So, I'm thinking of loading Emby on it and then using the Zidoo media payer externally only when playing DV FEL ISOs.  I've seen a couple threads on doing just that, but not a whole lot.

Anyway, I'm still researching as I'm not 100% on some things.  It would only happen right now if I bricked my Shield somehow trying to revert it back to Android 9.

rbjtech
28 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Ahh okay.  I'll have to do checking on that. I'm looking for something that can actually play DV FEL.  From what I understand there is nothing (as of now) that can do that from mkv.  They only process the RPU and ignore the EL.

The things that can play DV FEL must have 2 HEVC decoders, be 12-bit, and only from ISO or UHD folder.  I believe the new 12-bit Zidoo boxes can do that along with Dune and a couple others maybe.  So, I'm thinking of loading Emby on it and then using the Zidoo media payer externally only when playing DV FEL ISOs.  I've seen a couple threads on doing just that, but not a whole lot.

Anyway, I'm still researching as I'm not 100% on some things.  It would only happen right now if I bricked my Shield somehow trying to revert it back to Android 9.

An interesting topic - I've also done a ton of research on this but never really came to a conclusive answer.

Is DV from a BL+EL+RPU (from a MakeMKV 'hack') really the same as DV via a DV FEL ?  

From what I see with my own eyes on the screen - Yes it is.  Sometimes DV colours are INTENSE on the screen, while an equivalent HDR copy is 'brighter' but it doesn't 'pop' out the screen - it's hard to describe in words.

I've also read that BL+EL+RPU is 'fake' - but I'm really not sure how you can 'fake' DV - dark scenes stay dark with no crushing, light scenes are enhanced beyond 'normal' HDR intensity.   

One thing to remember, is that reading optical media is SLOW vs a network - it doesn't need to be fast as it's only needed in 'real-time'.  Thus reading two 'tracks/layers' and then combining/processing them (in parallel if you like) will get you the same result as doing the same thing from an interleaved read (from a network stream) - as I understand it - this is what the 'hack' is doing..

Maybe DV FEL is even better .. I'm honestly not sure.  🤪

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte

I'm not sure anyone can see much of a benefit of FEL and 12-bit colors right now.   Maybe a little.  Are there any 12-bit panels on TVs yet?  I believe Hisense is making one with two panels (1080p and 4K) that display 12-bit.  Sort of like UHD does with adding the 1080p EL.  So there probably are some TVs that are 12-bit, or soon to be hopefully.

MEL/RPU will only get you metadata changes.  So, I guess what I'm after is to eventually get the additional FEL 12-bit color enhancements from a digital file without having to stick a disc in a player and still play everything else with one box.

Some of the new 12-bit Zidoo boxes have internal bays for HD.  I was thinking of putting ISO on them and all the mkv would stay on the NAS.  Since only about half my DV titles have FEL this shouldn't be too much space.  The DV titles with only MEL would still be converted to mkv and stay on the NAS.

There are some interesting threads on Zidoo and AVSforums which I'm only partially done reading.  This is all in the initial planning phase, but it may go forward IF my Shield were to break anytime soon.

• Like 1

rbjtech

re the downgrade - If you have ever rooted an Android phone, then the process is along the same lines for the Shield.  You don't need to 'root' it as it's all official OS builds - but you do need to unlock the bootloader, but that's just a single command.    As long as you can get fastboot working - then it's actually fairly painless tbh.

• Like 1

FrostByte
14 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

re the downgrade - If you have ever rooted an Android phone, then the process is along the same lines for the Shield.  You don't need to 'root' it as it's all official OS builds - but you do need to unlock the bootloader, but that's just a single command.    As long as you can get fastboot working - then it's actually fairly painless tbh.

Thanks.  I guess I'll start to Google on how to do that today

Audiomixer

I tried to flash one of my shields back to 8.2.3 some time ago but for some odd reason, the nvidia provided drivers for windows that worked before would not work now. Interestingly though I was able to access the shield correctly via my Mac but decided against downgrading.

• Like 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

I tried to flash one of my shields back to 8.2.3 some time ago but for some odd reason, the nvidia provided drivers for windows that worked before would not work now. Interestingly though I was able to access the shield correctly via my Mac but decided against downgrading.

Agreed - I used the latest Samsung USB drivers - those worked with fastboot.

https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver

You can test the success of the drivers without doing anything destructive to the Shield, get into Dev mode on the Shield, then just plug it into the PC and use fastboot to check connectivity with a device id - if you get that far then you are good to go.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Audiomixer
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Agreed - I used the latest Samsung USB drivers - those worked with fastboot.

https://developer.samsung.com/android-usb-driver

You can test the success of the drivers without doing anything destructive to the Shield, get into Dev mode on the Shield, then just plug it into the PC and use fastboot to check connectivity with a device id - if you get that far then you are good to go.

Right, that was the problem. I could not get anything when I tried to check connectivity. Not so with the mac. I think I’ll download those drivers. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
FrostByte

9.01 hotfix three was released today.

The third 9.0.1+ HotFix is now live and contains the following fixed:

-Resolves issue pairing Dual Shock 3, XBOX, and Switch controllers
-Resolves bug where video colors would be displayed incorrect when HW acceleration is enabled
-Fixes bug affecting streaming to twitch
-Adds helpful notifications when connecting or formatting removable storage
-Fixes bug where system would hang when access home screen after matching frame rate in Kodi
-Fixes bug where surround upmixer would stop working after playing Dolby audio streams
-Adds Plex support for latest Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD DVB-T tuner (EU only)
-Fixes bug where AI upscaling could not be changed in Netflix app
-Resolves issue where Documents UI cannot access external storage folders
-Resolves issue where SD card notification would be displayed when launching apps
-Resolves issue when capturing screenshots in GeForce NOW using NVIDIA Share
-Resolves crash issue with Google Play Games on 2015/2017 SHIELDs.
-Resolves localization issue with Canadian Language selection of energy start timers
-Resolves audio issues when connecting headset to 2015 SHIELD Controller

SHIELD Experience Upgrade 9.0.1+ Hot | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1