Shield Experience 9.0.1

CBers

I thought updating to 9.0.1 would fix my issues with video stuttering on some 1080p Remux files with DTS-HD audio track. 

Unfortunately, it made it worse. Now every audio format is software decoded to stereo and not passthroughed to my AV receiver. But at least the stuttering is gone 😂

5 minutes ago, crxo said:

Now every audio format is software decoded to stereo and not passthroughed to my AV receiver.

Try rebooting the Shield with the AVR powered up.

48 minutes ago, ebr said:

Try rebooting the Shield with the AVR powered up.

Okay, after rebooting twice the Shield passthrough is working again. But sadly the stuttering is back

Edited by crxo

FrostByte

It looks like all that 9.0.1 did was pull in the hotfixes for those who didn't sign up for them.  So nothing new

If you did sign up for hotfixes then you will need to resign up for them after 9.0.1.  Slate start new

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I don't recall anyone bringing this up with either app.  Maybe a server thing

Edited by FrostByte

blumamba

I copied this response in another thread, but should be helpful here, if not my bad.

This is a google issue not emby.

Prior to yesterdays update to update the fubar android 9, i ran several tests and placed questions to others who all came to the same conclusion.  Nvidia/Google.

So I lost the ability to play Dolby Vision over my shield pro 2019 through my 8k hdmi to my receiver through 8k hdmi to my sony tv due to audio sync issues that appear around 30 minutes and randomly here and there prior to, which made it unwatchable.  I technically had DV as well as Dolby Atmos.  Disney plus stutters at 24 fps due to switching issues, I believe in the app...

So during the testing to determine what was what, one of the things I did was side load the android emby app vs the emby app from google play.  Upon installation I discovered that the audio sync was gone, however so was Dolby Vision (HDR only).  I still had Dolby Atmos (see Below).  I uninstalled and reinstalled from the app store and DV and the audio sync issue reappeared.

So, after confirming this was a nvidia google issue i did the hotfix update which did absolutely nothing, zero, in fact it made the "resume" and "skip back" stuttering worse than it was before. NO DV - HDR only - no audio sync issue.

Now, here is the kicker in which I hope the devs here and there pay attention too.  After yesterdays update and todays Disney Plus update, nothing has been resolved, its worse.  Heres why...

As I stated above in the sideload description, I have now lost ALL ability to play DA through EMBY and the DV/Audio sync (500 ms off) issue as well as the Disney Plus issue (even after todays update) are STILL present.  So there should be a strong clue as to where to look as a dev (either app team, not specific to one) to find and fix the issue.

DA/DV will play on Disney Plus without audio sync issues but the stutter, due to not actually changing the refresh rate make it unwatchable for me, without every single time manually changing the refresh rate.  The EMBY app has that feature which works as intended.

The EMBY app worked fine as intended prior to the andriod update, and the Disney Plus app did as well up till a few months back when something changed in it.

This is primarily an Nvidia issue to which I hope they are looking at, at the top of the priority list, if not people setting up EMBY or plex will not be able to enjoy their content as designed.

I am confident at some time the issues will be addressed, when is another story.

CBers
47 minutes ago, blumamba said:

one of the things I did was side load the android emby app vs the emby app from google play

Which app, the standard Emby Android app, or the Emby Android TV app?

There are two Android apps that will run on the Shield.

I personally am not having any issues play Dolby Atmos and I know others are happily play both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision content, all via the Emby Android TV app.

Please clarify which app you are using.

I have no problems playing content in my Shield 2019, not tested the 2017 yet.

The only feature that do not work is the direct path. Checked or not it just use http protocol.

For the moment I'm not using the direct path.

Reported on Nvidia forums 

• Streaming Emby with https video stalls unless http2 is disabled

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/485446/shield-experience-upgrade-901-known-issues/

FrostByte
50 minutes ago, Riggs said:

I have no problems playing content in my Shield 2019, not tested the 2017 yet.

The only feature that do not work is the direct path. Checked or not it just use http protocol.

For the moment I'm not using the direct path.

Reported on Nvidia forums 

• Streaming Emby with https video stalls unless http2 is disabled

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/485446/shield-experience-upgrade-901-known-issues/

That's what Luke and I were discussing further up, does that have anything to do with DFA?  I suppose it could in my case because DFA was still working, though it stalled forever because no smb3 connection was being made.

10 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

does that have anything to do with DFA? 

No because it is referencing using https.

• Like 1

FrostByte

That's why I thought it may have been a server/browser issue on the Shield when Luke asked, but I can't find the initial report

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer

I have two shield 2019 pro running 9.0.1 release and am not seeing any playback issues with DV on any app. One shield is connected to a denon x4500 to an Lg CX and the other to an Lg sound bar to an Lg CX.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 1

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

I have two shield 2019 pro running 9.0.1 release and am not seeing any playback issues with DV on any app. One shield is connected to a denon x4500 to an Lg CX and the other to an Lg sound bar to an Lg CX.

I'm having an issue with the standard app only not triggering HDR on my Samsung when using DV profile 7/8, but I believe that's a problem with Luke's app and has been there before SE9.  ATV works fine

Audiomixer
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I guess it has something to do with Kodi

How does kodi fit in with this?

FrostByte

Its kind of interesting and somewhat similar to the problem we're having with DFA.  Pretty sure that's what the known problem is referring to

Edited by FrostByte

19 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

where are they suggesting you would disable http2?

In Kodi configuration files I think so I don't think it would be related to your issue.  Plus, you said your issue is definitely related to the beta server, correct?

• Like 1

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

In Kodi configuration files I think so I don't think it would be related to your issue.  Plus, you said your issue is definitely related to the beta server, correct?

based on my testing yes. i did provide sample media though so i don't know if anyone has duplicated

blumamba
On 2/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, CBers said:

Which app, the standard Emby Android app, or the Emby Android TV app?

There are two Android apps that will run on the Shield.

I personally am not having any issues play Dolby Atmos and I know others are happily play both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision content, all via the Emby Android TV app.

Please clarify which app you are using.

I used both to test if both had the DV audio sync issue. As quoted below, those were my results.  It doesnt matter what DV title I play the audio sync is barely noticeable for the first 30 minutes but it IS noticeable and fluctuates as to how far out of wack it goes.  Right around the 30 minute mark it jumps to 500ms off.  I had to set my denon x6300h (chain listed above) sync feature to on and thus know how far out of wack it was.  But that was a workaround for DV, everything else to include HDR plays fine.  With the exception of DA now. 

On 2/16/2022 at 8:25 AM, blumamba said:

As I stated above in the sideload description, I have now lost ALL ability to play DA through EMBY and the DV/Audio sync (500 ms off)

Now, again prior to this last public roll out I had DA too.  Now that has been removed as it was in the sideloaded app prior to the update as well.  It is not transcoding according to the on screen stats. To be clear, during the testing mentioned, I had DA with the app store version but not with the sideload version.  The app store version plays DV with the audio sync issue, the sideload version would not play DV at all and the audio sync issue was gone.  Swap them back out and the issues reappear.

Again, this was not happening prior to the SE9 upgrade.

On 2/16/2022 at 8:25 AM, blumamba said:

So during the testing to determine what was what, one of the things I did was side load the android emby app vs the emby app from google play.  Upon installation I discovered that the audio sync was gone, however so was Dolby Vision (HDR only).  I still had Dolby Atmos (see Below).  I uninstalled and reinstalled from the app store and DV and the audio sync issue reappeared.

I dont know if logs would help or not as I believe this lies with Nvidia and not emby.  Thus the original question/statements.

As of now, has anyone been able to confirm where the issue actually lies?  I have seen a lot with "the server" end but I dont believe thats it as it was working just fine prior to SE9 rollout.  It looks like some of you are looking into it to confirm?

FrostByte

There is a known problem with the standard Android app and DV profile 7/8 which started before SE9. DV doesn't seem to work with DV sets, and people with no DV only get SDR when they should get at least HDR.