Jump to content

Subtitle language name auto changed


brianlam
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, my all video's chinese traditional subtitle name changed to chinese simplified, please help.

image.thumb.png.facb4a6100f45d231f6232ec19121b84.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, is there a problem with the subtitles actually working correctly besides the way they are listed?

I believe this was simplified a bit to cover multiple Chinese subs for selection purposes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.zh.ass or .zh-hk.ass.

It was displayed Chinese traditional.

 

Screenshot_20220214-065506.png

Edited by brianlam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, brianlam said:

.zh.ass or .zh-hk.ass.

It was displayed Chinese traditional.

zh is the ISO code for Chinese and if marked without a country code would be considered simplified.

There are several countries where Chinese is the main written language. The major difference between them is whether they use simplified or traditional characters, but there are also minor regional differences (in vocabulary, etc). The standard way to distinguish these would be with a country code, e.g. zh_CN for mainland China, zh_SG for Singapore, zh_TW for Taiwan, or zh_HK for Hong Kong.

Mainland China and Singapore both use simplified characters, and the others use traditional characters. Since China and Taiwan are the two with the biggest populations, a lot of content is marked using either zh_CN or zh_TW to distinguish simplified and traditional character versions of a website. But any of the country codes should work as well.

Technically a more correct way to mark these subs, but not commonly used in practice, would be to use zh_HANS for (generic) simplified Chinese characters, and zh_HANT for traditional Chinese character.

Technically zh-hk is just simplified Chinese as it doesn't contain a country code which is required to be in caps.

@Luke Could you take a quick peak at the code to see if we handle all the different codes and variations for simplified vs traditional?
Anything starting with zh is simplified by spec unless it has a proper code distinguishing it as traditional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cayars said:

zh is the ISO code for Chinese and if marked without a country code would be considered simplified.

There are several countries where Chinese is the main written language. The major difference between them is whether they use simplified or traditional characters, but there are also minor regional differences (in vocabulary, etc). The standard way to distinguish these would be with a country code, e.g. zh_CN for mainland China, zh_SG for Singapore, zh_TW for Taiwan, or zh_HK for Hong Kong.

Mainland China and Singapore both use simplified characters, and the others use traditional characters. Since China and Taiwan are the two with the biggest populations, a lot of content is marked using either zh_CN or zh_TW to distinguish simplified and traditional character versions of a website. But any of the country codes should work as well.

Technically a more correct way to mark these subs, but not commonly used in practice, would be to use zh_HANS for (generic) simplified Chinese characters, and zh_HANT for traditional Chinese character.

Technically zh-hk is just simplified Chinese as it doesn't contain a country code which is required to be in caps.

@Luke Could you take a quick peak at the code to see if we handle all the different codes and variations for simplified vs traditional?
Anything starting with zh is simplified by spec unless it has a proper code distinguishing it as traditional.

Hi, I think zh should be just Chinese, no simplified or traditional, for zh_hk /zh-hk should be chinese traditional, because the search subtitle also display chinese traditional (HongKong).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, brianlam said:

Hi, I think zh should be just Chinese, no simplified or traditional, for zh_hk /zh-hk should be chinese traditional, because the search subtitle also display chinese traditional (HongKong).

zh = chinese and without any further Country code to differentiate it would be considered mainland China.  Mainland China uses simplified vs tradition so that is what it what subtitles should default to as well per spec.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try zh-hk instead of just zh. With only zh, there's no way for the server to know which Chinese version it should be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so, if i want to display as chinese traditional, I need to change all my zh subtitle to zh-hk or zh-tw, is that right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@Luke @cayars can we get the specific variables for this added to the KB?

 

 

Yes, and it will get published today with some other KB edits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
brianlam

Hi, I found the zh-hk still display in Chinese Simplified, will change to Chinese Traditional?

image.thumb.png.dcc5cdff9874a273b8482e24b8bf879e.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea that's odd. zh-hk should be chinese traditional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you add a new video with new subtitle files, is it correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

brianlam
On 6/16/2022 at 2:52 AM, Luke said:

If you add a new video with new subtitle files, is it correct?

No, zh-hk still show Chinese Simplified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 2:51 AM, brianlam said:

No, zh-hk still show Chinese Simplified.

@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes, zh-SG does not work either but listed in KB. ISO and Country codes used together

image.png.ce63146615730a617f272ebd0d0416f7.png

 

@cayarsKB appears to be wrong with underscore instead of dash. 

image.png.f9aafacca0cbf52731d26a44f3104b3f.png

@Happy2Play zh-hg is chinese simplified singapore, which is a locale we don't even have in our system right now.

but i suppose for now we can detect it as just chinese simplified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding zh-hk, looking into it. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...