HDR and DV movies are freezing on home network

wakeboarder141

rbjtech
19 hours ago, wakeboarder141 said:

Everything is connected wired.  I don't know of any reason for the latency.  

ok - Any chance you could clear the log, replay and post just one playback session ?

In the current log - it's very confusing as the host entries with the 'remote' flag have the lowest latency, while the 'local' entries have the largest latency.

ie

host2 - sub 10ms latency - likely LAN (but reported as not in LAN)

host3 - 100-200ms latnecy - likely WAN (but reported as LAN)

host4 - sub 10ms -likely LAN but reported as not in LAN

Edited by rbjtech

wakeboarder141
On 2/28/2023 at 1:26 AM, rbjtech said:

ok - Any chance you could clear the log, replay and post just one playback session ?

That's a good question.  How do I go about manually clearing the log?  I restarted the server before that log thinking that would clear it, but that obviously doesn't work.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

That's a good question.  How do I go about manually clearing the log?  I restarted the server before that log thinking that would clear it, but that obviously doesn't work.

Will be dependent on how active your server is at the time.

Restarting server creates a new log or go to App Settings-Scheduled Tasks and Rotate log file.

wakeboarder141
20 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Will be dependent on how active your server is at the time.

Restarting server creates a new log or go to App Settings-Scheduled Tasks and Rotate log file.

As far as I knew my server was idle except for whatever Emby is doing in the background.  The log file was larger after the restart so it doesn't seem like it cleared.  Is that typical behavior?  I will try to manually clear it out as well.  Thanks.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

As far as I knew my server was idle except for whatever Emby is doing in the background.  The log file was larger after the restart so it doesn't seem like it cleared.  Is that typical behavior?  I will try to manually clear it out as well.  Thanks.

Not really but would need to see the log to see what it is doing.

wakeboarder141
41 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not really but would need to see the log to see what it is doing.

Here is the freshest log I could manage.  There will be a little activity on there, but playing the episode of Last of Us would play for a few seconds, freeze for a while, play a few more seconds, etc.

embyserver.txt

rbjtech

Are you sure that is the right log ? - I don;t see any playback of that file.  But that log is FILLED with errors from ffmpeg ...

wakeboarder141
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Are you sure that is the right log ? - I don;t see any playback of that file.  But that log is FILLED with errors from ffmpeg ...

I am pretty sure, yes.  I can try rotating logs and pulling it again.

wakeboarder141
On 3/3/2023 at 2:12 AM, rbjtech said:

I think I see where some of the errors were coming from because I had a folder for another show that was corrupted.  I don't know why that wasn't cleared with the last log rotate and server restart.  This time I cleared all that out, rotated the log file, then restarted the server and played my show again.  I got a minute or so in before it started freezing.  This should be the only activity as no one else was playing anything at the time.

embyserver.txt

rbjtech

ok - thanks for the log, that's much better.

A LAN based wireless connection should be getting you sub 5-10ms latency - a wired connection will be typically 1-2ms.

You are getting 100-130ms - which is very very poor and possibly contributing to the problem.

What is the local network configuration ?  Is your emby server wired to the router and/or switch - Are you using the internet providers wifi ?

image.thumb.png.16625fff9c4c2d1f0fe05de5e17af1b4.png

wakeboarder141
15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

ok - thanks for the log, that's much better.

A LAN based wireless connection should be getting you sub 5-10ms latency - a wired connection will be typically 1-2ms.

You are getting 100-130ms - which is very very poor and possibly contributing to the problem.

What is the local network configuration ?  Is your emby server wired to the router and/or switch - Are you using the internet providers wifi ?

image.thumb.png.16625fff9c4c2d1f0fe05de5e17af1b4.png

It's a Gigabit internet connection with a wired connection from a newer Orbi mesh router to my NAS boxes and my Nvidia Shield.   No wifi involved for Emby at all.  There is also a small gigabit switch that is feeding the 2 NAS after the router.  No reason that I know of for that lag.

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

It's a Gigabit internet connection with a wired connection from a newer Orbi mesh router to my NAS boxes and my Nvidia Shield.   No wifi involved for Emby at all.  There is also a small gigabit switch that is feeding the 2 NAS after the router.  No reason that I know of for that lag.

The Shield is just the client yes ('host2' in the log) - what is running the actual emby server ?

wakeboarder141
12 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The Shield is just the client yes ('host2' in the log) - what is running the actual emby server ?

Yes.  Emby Server runs on my Synology NAS and the Shield is just the client.

pwhodges

Is the switch a Netgear GS108v3?  (Yes, I have a very specific reason for asking this!)

Paul

rbjtech

you mention feeding the 2 NAS after the router - why do you have 2 NAS's ?

Are you maybe mapping the shares of one NAS to the other for Emby to use ?

wakeboarder141
18 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Is the switch a Netgear GS108v3?  (Yes, I have a very specific reason for asking this!)

Paul

No, it is a Trendnet.  

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

you mention feeding the 2 NAS after the router - why do you have 2 NAS's ?

Are you maybe mapping the shares of one NAS to the other for Emby to use ?

There are actually 3 NAS total just because of storage needs.  I have a 12 bay, an 8 bay, and then a 5 bay expansion that connects to the 8 Bay.  Emby runs on the 8 bay that has the best hardware.  There are libraries on each NAS.  It has run this way fine for years, but there is something obviously wrong now.

rbjtech

Are the trouble files on the 8 bay - or are they on another NAS ?   Presumably all the NAS's are connected to the switch via 1Gig ethernet - and you are using unc drive mapping in the emby library paths via SMB ? Or maybe NFS mounts ?

Where I am going with this is if the NAS needs to 'fetch' the file first (from another NAS) and then serve it up for streaming (to HTTP) to then be passed to the Shield - then there is a possibility of delays.   If this is the case - maybe just copy a troublesome file to the 'local' NAS and see if the issue persists ?

Edited by rbjtech

wakeboarder141
26 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Are the trouble files on the 8 bay - or are they on another NAS ?   Presumably all the NAS's are connected to the switch via 1Gig ethernet - and you are using unc drive mapping in the emby library paths via SMB ? Or maybe NFS mounts ?

I will attach a screenshot of how it is set up.  Volume 1 is my 8 bay "Skynet", and my 12 Bay is "Jarvis" which is mounted in Skynet as a CIFS remote folder.  All of my TV files are on Jarvis so that is where they are pulling from.  It is strange that it would be the issue when it worked for so long with this setup.

Capture.PNG

rbjtech

ok - so lets try this.   Copy a troublesome file from Jarvis onto Skynet - and then try and play back that file from Emby via that library instead.   I would put money on that working without issue.  When you copy the file over, take note of the throughput and cpu utilisation on the NAS CPU's if possible.

There is another very similar issue I'm looking at on another thread - same scenario, SMB/CIF mounts are having trouble with high(ish) bandwidth files - local files to the server have zero issues.

'Something' may have changed I agree - put being able to identify, recreate and ideally pinpoint the issue for the Emby Dev's to further investigate.

To add - and to possibly save some time - does Jarvis have multiple NIC Interfaces ?  If you can connect the other NAS's to Jarvis via an alternative interface, this may help things.   Another possibility is VLAN's over the same interface - but lets not go there just yet. 

Edited by rbjtech

wakeboarder141
5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

ok - so lets try this.   Copy a troublesome file from Jarvis onto Skynet - and then try and play back that file from Emby via that library instead.   I would put money on that working without issue.  When you copy the file over, take note of the throughput and cpu utilisation on the NAS CPU's if possible.

There is another very similar issue I'm looking at on another thread - same scenario, SMB/CIF mounts are having trouble with high(ish) bandwidth files - local files to the server have zero issues.

'Something' may have changed I agree - put being able to identify, recreate and ideally pinpoint the issue for the Emby Dev's to further investigate.

To add - and to possibly save some time - does Jarvis have multiple NIC Interfaces ?  If you can connect the other NAS's to Jarvis via an alternative interface, this may help things.   Another possibility is VLAN's over the same interface - but lets not go there just yet. 

Interesting.  It's true that I haven't had any issue with local movie files that are higher bitrate than these shows, but it definitely worked fine as I have it set up for a long time.  Jarvis and Skynet both have four 1Gb ports, and a 10Gb NIC.  I don't have a 10Gb switch yet, so right now I just had my PC and Skynet connected directly on the 10Gb.  I guess I could bite the bullet and buy a 10Gb switch so both of those NAS and my PC would be on that network as well as the 1Gb WAN if you are thinking that would help.

Edited by wakeboarder141

rbjtech
53 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

Interesting.  It's true that I haven't had any issue with local movie files that are higher bitrate than these shows, but it definitely worked fine as I have it set up for a long time.  Jarvis and Skynet both have four 1Gb ports, and a 10Gb NIC.  I don't have a 10Gb switch yet, so right now I just had my PC and Skynet connected directly on the 10Gb.  I guess I could bite the bullet and buy a 10Gb switch so both of those NAS and my PC would be on that network as well as the 1Gb WAN if you are thinking that would help.

ok - so to confirm, files locally on the NAS running emby have no issues - it just those on the smb/cifs mounted libraries (via 1Gb ethernet connection) correct ?

Are the 4 x 1Gb interfaces bonded - or can they be addressed as separate IP's/interfaces ?

It would be interesting to do a direct connect from a secondary Ethernet port on Skynet (emby) to Jarvis using a different subnet (using fixed IP's).   You should actually be able to do a direct wired ethernet connection using mdi-x - no need for a switch in-between.  Give them fixed IP's on the same subnet - and add permissions etc - and then map it in emby that way.

Because it's a separate LAN - it may not conflict/compete with your primary interface - definitely worth a test.

10Gb is not going to give you much - if you have the 1gig interfaces to play with, I'd investigate those first.

wakeboarder141
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

10Gb is not going to give you much - if you have the 1gig interfaces to play with, I'd investigate those first

The 1Gb ports are not bonded.  I just have 1 of the 1Gb ports on each device in use.  What is the reasoning for not using the 10Gb ports?  Ideally, I would like to end up with both of the NAS and my PC on the 10Gb because it makes file transfers much faster which is why I mentioned the switch.  I added a folder to the library with a couple files to test playing them directly from Skynet so I will report back on that.  I can probably move some things around, but having all of my largest files on my smaller NAS isn't ideal.

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

The 1Gb ports are not bonded.  I just have 1 of the 1Gb ports on each device in use.  What is the reasoning for not using the 10Gb ports?  Ideally, I would like to end up with both of the NAS and my PC on the 10Gb because it makes file transfers much faster which is why I mentioned the switch.  I added a folder to the library with a couple files to test playing them directly from Skynet so I will report back on that.  I can probably move some things around, but having all of my largest files on my smaller NAS isn't ideal.

The idea is to use separate 'channels' for backhaul and fronthaul services - things can then run in parallel.  10Gig is fine - use that instead if you like, but you won't get anywhere near 10Gb on a file transfer - 2-3 Gbps tops as the mass disk is your bottleneck.

wakeboarder141
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The idea is to use separate 'channels' for backhaul and fronthaul services - things can then run in parallel.  10Gig is fine - use that instead if you like, but you won't get anywhere near 10Gb on a file transfer - 2-3 Gbps tops as the mass disk is your bottleneck.

I get 1GB/sec file transfers all day long.  I just don't have 10Gb access to Jarvis right now as I have my PC and Skynet connected directly.

Edited by wakeboarder141

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

I get 1GB/sec file transfers all day long.  I just don't have 10Gb access to Jarvis right now as I have my PC and Skynet connected directly.

1GB/sec is easy - 10GB/sec is not.

I'll leave it with you.