HDR and DV movies are freezing on home network

wakeboarder141

wakeboarder141

Lately I have started noticing that more and more of any HDR or DV TV show or movie that I watch on Emby on my Nvidia Shield Pro has regular glitches where audio and video freeze for an unknown amount of time.  Sometimes it freezes for a few seconds, sometimes it's a lot longer.  I don't recall the original tv show, but there was one that I had to watch all of it in SDR instead because it would freeze every couple minutes while watching, and now I am starting to get this on almost anything with HDR or DV.  These are all sourced on a local NAS on an all wired ethernet.  I have never once had this happen with any content not in HDR or DV.  I did just replace my router with a Netgear mesh system, but this problem started before the router change.  Log is attached.  Thank you if you can provide any guidance.

embyserver.txt

wakeboarder141
5 hours ago, Sammy said:

Post the transcode logs while this is happening and the AndroidTV log too.

It is not transcoding, it is direct playing so there is no transcoding log.  I am not familiar with the AndroidTV log.  Is that stored on the Shield itself?  Thanks.

Ronstang

I had this same problem a long time ago while direct playing so with no transcoding and it turned out I was overtaxing my HTPC doing to many things at once so I hit the point where tasks that had high priority set were stealing the resources when needed and my video would freeze for a second or longer then play fine.  Once I shut down all encoding tasks while I was watching the problem went away.   

13 hours ago, wakeboarder141 said:

Yes I will try it and get the log.  Thanks.

That would be great, thanks.

• 7 months later...
wakeboarder141
On 2/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, Luke said:

Finally getting back to this to try and figure out the issue of video playback being choppy on these files.  I submitted an AndroidTV log during playback under the user Home2 about 20 or 30 minutes ago.  I did try sideloading the standard Android app, and playback seems to work properly with that version.  I will also attach the log I saved after the choppy playback.  Thanks.

embyserver.txt

Edited by wakeboarder141

wakeboarder141
On 2/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, Luke said:

Further Update: After using the Android app for a couple days, it has now developed the same video stuttering problem that the AndroidTV app had.  To test, I tried using Emby in Kodi, and it plays fine on there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, Luke said:

@wakeboarder141 can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

@wakeboarder141 can you try downloading this again to get the latest version and let us know how that compares? Thanks !

wakeboarder141
8 hours ago, Luke said:

@wakeboarder141 can you try downloading this again to get the latest version and let us know how that compares? Thanks !

The Android app and not AndroidTV, correct?

wakeboarder141
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes please, thanks.

OK I have installed that version.  It has been somewhat intermittent behavior, but I will report back if this one has an issue.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
wakeboarder141
On 10/19/2022 at 10:13 AM, Luke said:

Yes please, thanks.

I have not had any stuttering/freezing problems as of now with the Android app.  Does that mean I just need to continue using this app forever, or is there a fix in the works for the AndroidTV app?  Thanks.

On 10/30/2022 at 12:38 PM, wakeboarder141 said:

I have not had any stuttering/freezing problems as of now with the Android app.  Does that mean I just need to continue using this app forever, or is there a fix in the works for the AndroidTV app?  Thanks.

The TV app will ultimately get the same updates, but yes you can keep using the standard app. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
wakeboarder141
On 10/31/2022 at 12:58 PM, Luke said:

The TV app will ultimately get the same updates, but yes you can keep using the standard app. Thanks.

I am back to having the same problems with both the Android TV and Android apps.  It does it on TV and Movies, usually on DV content more than HDR.  I can sometimes watch the show for a few minutes, other times is begins to stutter/start/stop almost immediately.  I haven't found any consistent way to solve the problem with server restarts, NAS restarts, or Shield restarts.  It will persist through all of them typically.  It will usually freeze for 5-10 seconds, then it will play for a few seconds, and repeat.  I will attach the log that shows the freezing, and I think I tried both apps during this log.

embyserver.txt

rbjtech

Network Latency is very high - suggesting you simply do not have enough bandwidth - is this being played back via wireless ?

Happy2Play

Might be unrelated but are you running out of disk space as it looks like segments are deleting as fast as they are being created.  Is your transcode folder full/not being cleared properly?

Edited by Happy2Play

wakeboarder141
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Network Latency is very high - suggesting you simply do not have enough bandwidth - is this being played back via wireless ?

Everything is connected wired.  I don't know of any reason for the latency.  

wakeboarder141
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Might be unrelated but are you running out of disk space as it looks like segments are deleting as fast as they are being created.  Is your transcode folder full/not being cleared properly?

I am not out of space anywhere.  The volume that the TV shows are on has 24TB available.  How do I check the transcode folder?  Thanks.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

I am not out of space anywhere.  The volume that the TV shows are on has 24TB available.  How do I check the transcode folder?  Thanks.

You would have to check the folder size/content. /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp

snippet from last log "vailable space: 427933696" so 427mb

2023-02-24 00:00:00.382 Info EncodingManager: Deleting segment /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/BFE84F/BFE84F_72.ts due to disk space. Available space: 427933696
2023-02-24 00:00:00.382 Info EncodingManager: Deleting segment /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/BFE84F/BFE84F_73.ts due to disk space. Available space: 427933696
2023-02-24 00:00:04.106 Info EncodingManager: Deleting segment /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/BFE84F/BFE84F_74.ts due to disk space. Available space: 427933696
2023-02-24 00:00:06.995 Info EncodingManager: Deleting segment /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/BFE84F/BFE84F_75.ts due to disk space. Available space: 427933696
2023-02-24 00:00:06.995 Info EncodingManager: Deleting segment /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/BFE84F/BFE84F_76.ts due to disk space. Available space: 427933696

wakeboarder141
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You would have to check the folder size/content. /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp

Is that something I will need to SSH in to the NAS to access?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, wakeboarder141 said:

Is that something I will need to SSH in to the NAS to access?

Correct

wakeboarder141
13 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

snippet from last log "vailable space: 427933696" so 427mb

Does this show you the size?  I can't seem to actually access that folder as it tells me access denied.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 195232.png