Can not play 4K HDR videos anymore on Apple TV 4K

Dave9999
Go to solution Solved by vdatanet,

Dave9999

For the last couple of weeks, maybe related to the latest tvOS,  4k HDR movies do not play. If I enable MPV, the movies play, but not in HDR. With MPV off, the content never plays.

Dave9999

If I play the movie with MPV on, it plays in 4K no HDR with no issues (except that it should be in HDR). If I turn off MPV, it takes minutes to start, still plays with no HDR, and pegs the CPU on my Synology at 98%.

Dave9999

Here's more testing, with Synology 920*

HW Transcoding On, MPV on - Plays OK but no HDR

HW Transcoding On, MPV off - Plays with very washed out color, No HDR

HW Transcoding Off MPV On - Plays OK but no HDR. Synology CPU 98%

HW Transcoding Off MPV off  - Does not play after 2minutes buffering. Synology CPU 98%

With HW transcoding off, the Emby server continues to consume 98% of the Synology cpu after I quit the Emby client. Needed to reboot Emby Server to stop the 98% usage.

As an FYI, both Infuse (using Emby server as source) and Plex play the movie in 4K HDR, no issues.

Hope this helps.

• Solution
vdatanet
25 minutes ago, Dave9999 said:

Here's more testing, with Synology 920*

HW Transcoding On, MPV on - Plays OK but no HDR

HW Transcoding On, MPV off - Plays with very washed out color, No HDR

HW Transcoding Off MPV On - Plays OK but no HDR. Synology CPU 98%

HW Transcoding Off MPV off  - Does not play after 2minutes buffering. Synology CPU 98%

With HW transcoding off, the Emby server continues to consume 98% of the Synology cpu after I quit the Emby client. Needed to reboot Emby Server to stop the 98% usage.

As an FYI, both Infuse (using Emby server as source) and Plex play the movie in 4K HDR, no issues.

Hope this helps.

In short you can only get HDR using native player and the container must be MP4, there's no way to get HDR using MKV container in Emby for Apple TV. The problem is already known by the developers.

• Like 1

HI, this should be improved with the upcoming releases of both the 4.7 server and Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

vdatanet
6 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, this should be improved with the upcoming releases of both the 4.7 server and Emby Apple TV app. Thanks.

I'm curious, what are the future improvements? Maybe HLS fMP4 support?