First use of API POST help (was Help for recover emby configuration)

nbedendo

nbedendo

Sorry if is ot the right place but i do not have so much time with the vpn who i use for be on the forum now... today on reddit and then on discord (i have restriction here for website but not for the above social) i did a post where i asked:

___

Question about set a value using API

Hi, i’m totally new to API and before to make some mistake just a question. If I want to change a single value I can just send the POST with the single value as json or i need to send back all the dictionary? I want to create an automation who when i leave my house set “EnableRemoteAccess” on true and viceversa

-------

Than i was not able to wait and did my first POST and the result is that i did something wrong and Emby now ask me to setup instead of the login page.

BTW i had the backup plugin and hope that this help.. hope to receive help and be able to read here :)

Edited by nbedendo

nbedendo

tnx for moving

the post… now beside the wrong use of the API i just need to know if using the backup file on mac server i can restore my conf cause now i think that that my error only impacted on the system.xml but before increase the problem i just prefer to ask….

after that i would like also know what i did wrong or at lest know how to send a post call for change a value in a dictio ary :)

nbedendo

Ok i was able to restart my server with an old version then update and now look than i do not have lost nothing in my library and this is the most important result, BUT i was again in the situation where all my media in any single dir now look grouped and i have to manually do the "Split Version Apart" like discussed here. While in future version you will add a setting for disable this feature there any way to al least know what media emby grouped? I really go crazy to rename manually on the metadata manager and then replace the nfo file who i backup in a separate dir using an homemade bash script. I will realy appreciate to go deeper in that operation.. mayne in a log i can see the "group" task and save time to first find the media who was grouped instead of see one be one if 1 media hidden others media inside in a 12000 file :P

Then back to the action who create that situation i did something wrong in the POST api call to and i due to the fact that i never used API since 30 day ago and till now i just used alway for GET the data for sure i did something wrong if the result was the Emby ask to be configured like after fresh install.

Let me share with you what i want to do and what i did and i will be gratefull to have just a tip on what i did wrong.

I would like to have a simple automation who when i leave my house change the value: "EnableRemoteAccess" from false to true in using http://192.168.1.16:8096/emby/System/Configuration?api_key=Value and in order to do this i use an nfc tag who is the trigger for a routine who include other task related to the same action.

I use automation in IOS15.3.1 who basically have a "flow language" who is a sort of graphical versione of typesript but i do not think that is relevant.

The action is simple

---

GET DATA FROM ENDPOINT (who behind the scene do a CURL command)

GET DICTIPONARY FROM RESPONSE (i told to the interpreter that the response is a dictionary json)

GET VALUE FOR EnableRemoteAccess IN DICTIONARY

IF VALUE IS "true" SET VALUE TO "false"

POST DICTIONARY AS BODY TO ENDPOINT

---

This is the DICTIONARY who i sent:

---

{"EnableDashboardResponseCaching":true,"HttpsPortNumber":8920,"EnableAutomaticRestart":true,"DatabaseAnalysisLimit":400,"EnableUPnP":true,"UninstalledPlugins":[],"HttpServerPortNumber":8096,"IsPortAuthorized":false,"PreferredMetadataLanguage":"en","EnableHttps":false,"LocalNetworkAddresses":[],"EnableExternalContentInSuggestions":true,"VacuumDatabaseOnStartup":false,"DatabaseCacheSizeMB":96,"SortRemoveWords":["the","a","an","das","der","el","la"],"LogFileRetentionDays":3,"LogAllQueryTimes":false,"UICulture":"en-us","IsBehindProxy":false,"EnableDebugLevelLogging":false,"IsStartupWizardCompleted":false,"LibraryMonitorDelay":60,"LocalNetworkSubnets":[],"ChannelOptionsUpgraded":false,"RemoteClientBitrateLimit":0,"SaveMetadataHidden":false,"PublicHttpsPort":8920,"RequireHttps":false,"OptimizeDbOnShutdown":false,"MetadataCountryCode":"US","PublicPort":8096,"RemoteIPFilter":[],"AutoRunWebApp":true,"CollectionsMigratedToTags":false,"CollectionFolderIdsMigrated":false,"EnableCaseSensitiveItemIds":true,"PathSubstitutions":[],"CollapseVideoFolders":true,"EnableOriginalTrackTitles":false,"IsRemoteIPFilterBlacklist":false,"ImageExtractionTimeoutMs":0,"ImageSavingConvention":"Compatible","DisplaySpecialsWithinSeasons":true,"SaveMetadataHiddenMigrated":false,"SimultaneousStreamLimit":0,"CollectionOptionsMigrated":false,"EnableAutoUpdate":true,"RunAtStartup":true,"EnableSqLiteMmio":false,"NextUpUpgraded":false,"EnableRemoteAccess":false}

---

and if i understood correctly in my check this are value then when the server receive as JSON from the api they will change the file:

-rw-r--r--  1 nico  staff   2,9K 11 Feb 20:45 .config/emby-server/config/system.xml

so if that is true i think that something who i sent was wrong maybe in the format who the POST have to be done... i do not know... and here is where i will apreciate to have a suggestion from someone who have more experience than me (all of you) just because i do not want to do the above procedure to recover the server for any possible test since to find the right one :)

Tnx in advance

• 2 weeks later...
nbedendo
On 2/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, Luke said:

Hi Luke, tnx for your reply, i was unable to log in here since now to reply to the post. By the way i did some test since now but after any error i'm back in the situation described in the beginning where i have to reconfigure the server and the use the backup for fix it... but any time i have to deal again with my big issue about the "split a part" where all my library became 10 media instead og 10.000 because of the automatic group.. and i cant deal with split an edit again any metadata again.. so for i raise the white flag and i will wait when i have the change to install a new emby server just for try this api call and than apply to the main one... tnx for the support in any case.

Re the split a part... there is a way to avoid that problem since a i cant rename the file in a way where the emby do not think that are part of the same one??

Or just to know: when this operation happen? during Scan library or scan metadata or booth? i really tired about that and i do not want to stop to use emby because of that but i have to find a way to circumavigate the issue till you do not add the option to disable that in the setting.

Tnx for that

nbedendo
12 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly is getting joined that you don't want?

As i wrote in one of my older post i cant follow the folder and naming rules and my file structure is something:

ROOT/

A/

B/

Z/

and any file in each dir is ABC - XXX - 123.mp4

So any time ad add a new media to any dir or something happen like the "recovery reinstall" like happen in this case. All the content of the dir where i had a file or the entire library in the worst case scenario became a single file who include all the same file with the same first group (ABC).

Than i have to use the split a part (easy) but also edit one by one the metadata bedase all keep the same who during the group...

i spent to many time do that procedure at least 200 time since i purchased the license and i want to find a solution because i tried different strategy:

1) copy all the nfo and the name of the file of my entire library with a python script and rewrite all when happen... not working
2) copy the db file for the library each day and replace... no

... a lot more

any suggestion will be super usefull.. i love emby