Library configuration problem (user failure)

Neilo

Hello

i've installed both jellyfin and now emby, and i failed at configuring them at the same exact stage. I am sure that i'm doing something wrong, but i haven't been able to figure out what and how.

so, i'm asking you all as humbly as i know how, to help me climb out of this hole, please?

There's a video of what's happening at the bottom of this post, this the issue:

I have several devices, some connect to the wan wirelessly, some are wired, but all permanent storage happens on a nas. previously i had installed jellyfin and emby on my main pc but i couldn't configure either of them (with me failing at the same exact spot in each, as detailed below) so i abandoned them. yesterday i tried the native version of emby for my nas (an x86-64 synology with DSM 7.0.1-42218 update 2) and I still hit the same problem again, so there is an obvious basic failure (shamefully, on my part) to understand how to fulfil the request of the web interface. media is on a btrfs volume, mirrored for safety, organized this way:

/volume1/Music/Lossless/Band/Album/Tracks

/volume1/Music/Lossy/Band/Album/Tracks

/volume1/Video/Movies/Title/[movie, subtitles, poster etc]

/volume1/Video/TV Shows/Title/Season #/Episodes

so during basic set up it asks me to create a library and populate it. i start always with movies, i call the category "Movies", specify that's what it contains, and then i browse for the directory that contains the media in the input field maked "Folder:". however, it allows me to select only the first 2 levels out of the above structure: "volume1" and then "Video", after which the directory browser closes and i am returned to the "Folder:" field, and it's EMPTY, it hasn't filled it with even those 2 levels.  same if i select any other directories, it only lets me navigate over two levels but i need 3 to reach the movies (or the tv shows). introducing the full path by hand (without the directory browser) yields a "the path could not be found...." dialog. i tried navigating the first two levels, then introducing the third by hand, same result. same result when i typed the full pathname by hand. i also tried to put the path for the smb share in the appropriate field, same result.

the permissions of the directories are those given by DSM, but here they are just in case:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.1k 2022-01-23 01:23 /volume1/

drwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 156 2022-01-23 01:23 /volume1/Video/

drwxrwxrwx+ 1 Phoenix users 6.0k 2022-02-02 01:28 /volume1/Video/Movies

Also, remember that while i am having this problem now with the native synology version, i had it before with the windows version as well (AND for both jellyfin and emby)

I used both microsoft edge and opera gx, both automatically updated to the latest version.

Here's a video of it.

https://tinyurl.com/2p85w5yk

please tell me my sin

thank you

neil, london

FrostByte

Did you give the system internal user 'emby' permissions to the Synology shares?  in the example below my shared folder is 'MyEmbyMedia'.

permissions.thumb.jpg.a4f916e52007b7473a2be517d53cd6f5.jpg

Then in server I added my libraries Movies, TV Shows, etc which are subfolders to my shared folder.

embyfolders.jpg.db3c59f39410233c759c88309a4ba5df.jpg

Frostbyte:

Brother,  THANK YOU, that fixed it.

i don't mind telling you, i had not considered an issue of permissions because i had installed both emby and jellyfin on the pc, with library access over smb mounted as a volume, and it had the same problem. i thought i was fundamentally misunderstanding what was being asked of me.

well, one way or another, it's sorted.

thank you, i wish i could take you out to lunch.

all the best

neil, london

• Like 2