Emby cant play after update shield

LexEmby

Hello,
I have the emby server running on the Nvidea tv shield. Yesterday I was able to perform an update there (to version 9.0). Unfortunately emby no longer sees any files, only empty folders.
When I try to scan a database again nothing happens. Did some googling and read that this update causes a lot of problems, also with plex. Don't read anything about Emby. Is there anything that can be done about this/is this known? Or should I wait for a new update. (The rights of the emby apps are otherwise correct) thx.,Alex

Audiomixer

You using external usb for Emby data storage? NAS for media? What server version are you running?

Edited by Audiomixer

Installed the hotfix. Some things changed: i can acces the shield files on my pc ( before acces was denies). But Enby sill does not see and file and when scanning bothing hapened.

I notice that the configuration backup gives an error message.

backup.jpg

16 hours ago, LexEmby said:

Installed the hotfix. Some things changed: i can acces the shield files on my pc ( before acces was denies). But Enby sill does not see and file and when scanning bothing hapened.

I notice that the configuration backup gives an error message.

backup.jpg

HI, that's probably a write permissions error. Can you please attach the emby server log? Thanks.

Hi.  I believe with the current state of the Nvidia firmware, you do have to re-install applications in order for them to get the proper permissions applied.

• Like 1

i just noticed that the only thing that is not working fine is connection from outside my network. I set up everything as before the shield updat ( portforwaring in router) but i get thes message acces denied. I think that has also to do with the pemissions..

9 minutes ago, LexEmby said:

i just noticed that the only thing that is not working fine is connection from outside my network. I set up everything as before the shield updat ( portforwaring in router) but i get thes message acces denied. I think that has also to do with the pemissions..

Depending on exactly where you get that message, I don't think it is.  That is more likely an issue with the port forwarding or firewall.

You were right. After the factoryreset the ip adress of the shield was set to dynamic and was therefore changed. i have set it to static and now its ok. Thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...
marcmathes41

i need emby to update their apps to work with the shield i just got the newest update today 2/15/2022 its still broken will not play files too many errors! it says.  i bought life time and needed it to use on my shield! are we refunding because of dropped support for the device? or are we working on the server and normal app to get this fixed? as a former dev eng i hope your working on a fix for your end. or working on refunding shield users who cares about a life time license if you got it for a device it no longer works on because of lack of dev updates.  bazinga you got me nice trick.

Edited by marcmathes41

blumamba
14 hours ago, marcmathes41 said:

i need emby to update their apps to work with the shield i just got the newest update today 2/15/2022 its still broken will not play files too many errors! it says.  i bought life time and needed it to use on my shield! are we refunding because of dropped support for the device? or are we working on the server and normal app to get this fixed? as a former dev eng i hope your working on a fix for your end. or working on refunding shield users who cares about a life time license if you got it for a device it no longer works on because of lack of dev updates.  bazinga you got me nice trick.

This is a Nvidia/google issue not emby.

Prior to yesterdays update to update the fubar android 9, i ran several tests and placed questions to others who all came to the same conclusion.  Nvidia/Google.

So I lost the ability to play Dolby Vision over my shield pro 2019 through my 8k hdmi to my receiver through 8k hdmi to my sony tv due to audio sync issues that appear around 30 minutes and randomly here and there prior to, which made it unwatchable.  I technically had DV as well as Dolby Atmos.  Disney plus stutters at 24 fps due to switching issues, I believe in the app...

So during the testing to determine what was what, one of the things I did was side load the android emby app vs the emby app from google play.  Upon installation I discovered that the audio sync was gone, however so was Dolby Vision.  I still had Dolby Atmos (see Below).  I uninstalled and reinstalled from the app store and DV and the audio sync issue reappeared.

So, after confirming this was a nvidia google issue i did the hotfix update which did absolutely nothing, zero, in fact it made the "resume" and "skip back" stuttering worse than it was before. NO DV - HDR only - no audio sync issue.

Now, here is the kicker in which I hope the devs here and there pay attention too.  After yesterdays update and todays Disney Plus update, nothing has been resolved, its worse.  Heres why...

As I stated above in the sideload description, I have now lost ALL ability to play DA through EMBY and the DV/Audio sync issue as well as the Disney Plus issue (even after todays update) are STILL present.  So there should be a strong clue as to where to look as a dev (either app team, not specific to one) to find and fix the issue.

DA/DV will play on Disney Plus without audio sync issues but the stutter, due to not actually changing the refresh rate make it unwatchable for me, without every single time manually changing the refresh rate.  The EMBY app has that feature which works as intended.

The EMBY app worked fine as intended prior to the andriod update, and the Disney Plus app did as well up till a few months back when something changed in it.

This is primarily an Nvidia issue to which I hope they are looking at, at the top of the priority list, if not people setting up EMBY or plex will not be able to enjoy their content as designed.

I am confident at some time the issues will be addressed, when is another story.

Edited by blumamba

15 hours ago, marcmathes41 said:

Hi.  Exactly what problems are you having?

Just to chime in, I updated to the 9.0.1 today  and,  although all my libraries show up, nothing plays, I also get the "too many errors" and "playback failed"  plex is working tho (sorry if that's not allowed) so I'm assuming something with Emby and Android 11? 

17 minutes ago, Kidneex said:

Just to chime in, I updated to the 9.0.1 today  and,  although all my libraries show up, nothing plays, I also get the "too many errors" and "playback failed"  plex is working tho (sorry if that's not allowed) so I'm assuming something with Emby and Android 11? 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Okay, you are having a permissions issue:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/storage/62AE-2414/Movies/Ice Age The Meltdown.mp4" is denied.

Have you gone into the Android settings->apps->Emby Server->permissions and confirmed that the server has access to "Media and Storage"?

1 minute ago, ebr said:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/storage/62AE-2414/Movies/Ice Age The Meltdown.mp4" is denied.

Have you gone into the Android settings->apps->Emby Server->permissions and confirmed that the server has access to "Media and Storage"?

I'll check

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes it's allowed