Chrome Companion

techywarrior

techywarrior

Makes sense. One option might be to show all the videos detected and allow the user to add the one(s) they want. Many flash video downloader plugins have this sort of behavior and it seems to work well.

Hehe, that's what I am doing (or attempting). I just need to see why either my parsing is grabbing a partial URL or if YouTube is doing something fancy that prevents me from grabbing the URL for some videos.

jluce50

Hehe, that's what I am doing (or attempting). I just need to see why either my parsing is grabbing a partial URL or if YouTube is doing something fancy that prevents me from grabbing the URL for some videos.

Ah, well in that case keep fighting the good fight and thanks for your work on this :)

techywarrior

Ok, so it appears to be that YouTube is doing something weird. I have updated the parsing so that it grabs the same URL structure that they use for the old embed code. Only issue is that when I tried to test it the URL is correct but MB stalls trying to play the video. The inability to play the URL tho appears to be an issue with the plugin or MB itself.

I'll push the change soon as it won't be any worse then it was before.

For some reason it seems to be grabbing the wrong URL for youtube videos (see screenshot). I realize the URL of the page may not be what the extension needs to grab, but the one it is grabbing gives a 404 error.

Also, would it be possible to automatically grab a screenshot of the video and the video title (or at least pre-populate with the page title)? The Plex (sorry!) Queue functionality does this so it should be doable...

54231c274ffa1_20140924_142539.jpg

I have the same issues as jLuce50.Adding youtube and vimeo video grabs a url that doesn't play. As mentioned the url of companion is different from that of the youtube and vimeo url. 

techywarrior

1.5.3 should have fixed the parsing on YouTube video URLs. I'll look into Vimeo and see if it will require custom parsing as well. Can you confirm if you are on 1.5.3 or 1.5.2 for the YouTube issue? If you are on 1.5.3 please post the link to the YouTube page and I'll see if I can reproduce.

From what I can initially tell Vimeo may be an issue. The URL I am getting is the same one they are using for the video on the normal player as well as from the embed iframe's. They are using a token and a session variable passed to the video and if they are using that to protect the video then there is probably nothing  I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... so the companion grabs the right url from youtube, but the video still does not play when I select it in the Video Bookmarks channel... any thoughts on why that's happening?

techywarrior

Can you post a server log and transcode log when you attempt to play one of the youtube videos? That will let us see if there is a reason that it isn't playing.

Server log here:

http://pastebin.com/izXVHp2v

transcode:

C:\Users\Jana\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20141005\ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -i "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPivLYL2mVo" -sn -vcodec libvpx -force_key_frames expr:gte(t,n_forced*5) -vf "scale=min(iw\,720):trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -speed 16 -quality good -profile:v 0 -slices 8 -crf 10 -qmin 0 -qmax 50 -maxrate:v 872001 -bufsize:v (872001*2) -b:v 872001 -vsync vfr -map_metadata -1 -threads 2 -acodec libvorbis -ac 2 -ab 128000 -af "aresample=async=1" -y "C:\Users\Jana\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\f294c182aaa539285d55a16088ad6676.webm"

ffmpeg version N-66618-ge079d43 Copyright © 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
built on Oct 4 2014 22:01:58 with gcc 4.9.1 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
libavutil 54. 9.100 / 54. 9.100
libavcodec 56. 2.101 / 56. 2.101
libavformat 56. 7.104 / 56. 7.104
libavdevice 56. 1.100 / 56. 1.100
libavfilter 5. 1.102 / 5. 1.102
libswscale 3. 1.100 / 3. 1.100
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 1.100 / 53. 1.100
[swf @ 03633620] SWF compressed file detected
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPivLYL2mVo: could not find codec parameters

techywarrior

Hm, so ffmpeg can't determine what codec is used in the SWF file. I'm willing to bet that the YouTube player is built into the SWF file and that is messing ffmpeg up.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer at the moment. Looking at the code options that are available for determining the actual file that is being played hasn't worked out that well on YouTube so far. Other sites work nicely but YouTube are doing a lot to protect the media.

I wonder if other extensions that grab YouTube videos are having problems with this newer scheme. (it didn't used to be nearly this hard to get to the actual file)

CBers

Hi @@techywarrior.

The Chrome extension says I have 1 unread notification, but when I open it there aren't any:

Capture981.jpg

The Dashboard shows the same zero notifications.

I logged out and in again and it resolved.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

MrWebsmith

CB-

glad you posted this.. i saw this as well and it had to do with the new dev server re-doing the user id in prep for the upcoming features... when i did the same logout/in as you it "reconnected" and is working well here also

• Like 1

techywarrior

hm, I wonder why it didn't actually display the red box and question mark when the post to the server failed. Unless it didn't fail, just didn't get the response it was expecting. I'll play around a little with it and see if I can at least log you out of the extension if it fails to communicate with the server. That won't "fix" the problem but you will see the error icon and when you open the extension it will ask you to login and then everything will be good to go again.

• Like 2

techywarrior

I just published 1.6.1 which should be smarter about logging you out and displaying the settings/config tab if it can't connect to the server. This should fix up some general usability edge cases and give you a quicker solution to what you experienced with the new dev server version.

Hopefully it doesn't mess with anything else. It was a little hard to test so I doubt I have everything accounted for but it should effect normal use so I think it's safe enough.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

hmm...put in the update.. allowed it again in the ext security.. now i cant log  back in at all

even completely closed and relaunched chrome.. still cant log the comp. app in.. red icon with ?..

Edited by MrWebsmith

techywarrior

Does it just keep taking you to the settings tab? If you click save on the settings it doesn't take you to the user selection?

Are you on that new dev build of MBS?

Edited by techywarrior

MrWebsmith

im on dev: Version 3.0.5400.37910

if i click the comp icon.. im at the user tile screen.. no buttons down the side at all

i click my user.. get the username and password boxes.. give it my password (which is correct and the web client logs in wtih on this build).. and hit sign in.. and it flashes and i land back on the user select screen with the user images

MrWebsmith

yesterdays build of your app.. it did the "im connected but not really" thing and then i logged out and back in and it was fine.. this new symptom came with the companion update you released today

techywarrior

1.6.2 is getting published to the Chrome store. That will fix the issue.

It turns out that I had a bug with the authentication that wasn't noticed because it only would effect the header under certain circumstances. I believe that everything should be fine now and at worst it will kick you to the login page and you can login.

I made some tests and it appears to be working perfectly now.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Delphi

@@techywarrior any way to make the server tabs active connections have more data (i.e. like the server page) with the ability to also close a stuck open connection?

techywarrior

@@techywarrior any way to make the server tabs active connections have more data (i.e. like the server page) with the ability to also close a stuck open connection?

I can add anything that is on the server page. I just put in what seemed the most useful features at the time. Is the stuck open connection something on the server page? I've never noticed it (or needed it for that matter).

Is there anything specific other then that you feel is needed?

Delphi

@@techywarrior no its not something there sometimes i notice someone has finished watching something yet the server has kept them at the last 10 seconds for over a day. so some way to close this connection or at least shutdown the stream would be a great addition

EDIT: Maybe an option to hide certain connections tho like the Emby Companion connection would be ideal...

Edited by Delphi