Trouble with permissions.

willlol

Hi everyone. I have looked through many posts about permissions on this forum, none of which have helped me. I have a very basic understanding of Linux permissions, but I just don't understand why it isn't working.

My setup:

Fedora Workstation 35

Hard Drive mounted to /run/media/will/HDD (I didn't put it there, Gnome Disks mounted it there)

Emby user is in the will group.

When I try to add a folder in Emby, I can browse the folders as far as /run/media/will, but in that folder the HDD drive is nowhere to be seen. Below is the output of ls -hlpa in /run/media/will/HDD

total 20M
drwxrwxrwx.  9 will will 4.0K Dec 31 21:17  ./
drwxr-x---+  3 root root   60 Jan 26 09:38  ../
drwxrwxrwx.  6 will will 4.0K Jan  2 22:49  BACKUP/
drwxrwxr-x.  5 will will 4.0K Jan 24 21:57  games/
drwx------.  2 root root  16K Nov 14 14:21  lost+found/
drwxrwxrwx. 11 will will 4.0K Jan 25 22:18  media/
drwxrwxrwx. 10 will will 4.0K Nov 14 14:22  misc/
-rw-r--r--.  1 will will  20M Dec 30 21:56 'nerd 2.0.mov'
drwxr-xr-x.  9 root root 4.0K Dec 30 21:31  timeshift/
drwx------.  4 will will 4.0K Nov 14 14:22  .Trash-1000/

My emby media is within the media directory.

Please forgive me if I'm a bit of a noob, I'm pretty new to Linux and this is the first time I'm dealing with perms.

mastrmind11

you have ACLs everywhere.   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30594871/what-does-the-dot-at-the-end-of-the-permissions-in-the-output-of-ls-lah-mean#:~:text=According to the Filesystem permissions,a SELinux context is present.&text=%2B (plus) suffix indicates an,that can control additional permissions. .

look into the setfacl command and remove those security restrictions.

also consider mounting your drive w/ fstab.  Gnome onbviously does weird things when allowed to mount the drive on its own.

• Agree 1

Q-Droid

You're relying on the automount/mount utilities in the desktop which mount external drives as you, the signed in user.

Your problem is likely here: drwxr-x---+  3 root root   60 Jan 26 09:38  ../

Where the system (root) mounts the device but creates an ACL for you to access. Chances are the ACL on /run/media/will is for user "will" but may not include the group(s) which user "emby" also has. If emby can't get past /run/media/will then it doesn't matter what the permissions are in HDD.

getfacl /run/media/will

You can probably get around it by changing the permissions of /run/media/will but those will likely change back the next time you restart or unplug/plug the drive. Look into mounting the drive not as a user resource but one for the system, in the fstab, and to a different path outside of the /run tree. The link below might help.

https://linuxconfig.org/automatically-mount-usb-external-drive-with-autofs