Unable to Stream Externally

Qalifha

Hi . Im a emby premium user. Got my keys recently. Thanks to emby good response!

I have issues on streaming back on my tab and phones externally. Android application. Tried to connect my tab to my server using 4g, but failed. I wish to stream my movies outside my home network and using 4g to stream my media. 

My questions is,

What are the steps or setup for me to Externally connect to my devices? 

Could anyone guide me or somehow brief me through the steps?

Need some tips and advices!

Thanks!

Hi . After i read the guidelines, am i right to say that my server needs to run/on 24/7 in order for me to connect my devices to the server? Because im using Nvidia Shield as my server with all my medias connected to my hard drive. When no one at home using the shield, it will be off completely. So am i right to say that if the shield is off, i cant stream my media externally on my devices?

GrimReaper

That depends on how do you want to consume your media:

1) If you want all of it to be accessible at all times while you're outside and stream directly from server - yes, it'll need to be on 24/7

2) You can use Android client app download feature, which will make part of your collection (that you download) accessible offline (as it'll be downloaded/stored on your mobile)

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Ouh! That makes alot of sense now! Thanks for the clarification! So if i want to access all my medias at all times outside my home network, is it better if i get NAS connected as my emby server instead of the normal external harddrives? Since NAS usually needs to be on at all time, then am i right to say that if my shield is not ON, but my NAS is ON , i can still stream my medias on my devices externally?? Sorry if i asked to many questions back to back cause im new to this. 

GrimReaper

To try to make it more understandable: your server needs to be ON at all times if you wanna stream externally. If your sever is on Shield - then your Shield will have to be On, regardless where your media is stored. If you opt for a NAS, you can also run your server on it - there are Emby server packages for number of NAS systems - hence eliminating Shield server from the equation and requirement for it to be On 24/7, if you stay with HDDs - it'll have to be.

• Like 1