HOME PAGE BUTTON

Tankerhank
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Tankerhank
3 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Well, you certainly shouldn't have to buy a special remote to get it to work.

To me it should work as is, and you on the latest release version, far as I can see, not a beta.

I could wildly guess, if you're using the stable release and maybe the beta version of the server, there's some interaction going on stopping it working, but seems pretty unlikely, Or maybe some Shield setting has disabled it.

Sorry, not much help.

But still pretty sure it should work, so the feature you want should already be there. I was just testing on a Fire TV stick, and it works, press back to Emby Home screen, it even pops up a little message saying 'Returning Home...'

I could wish it would work that way.   But not with the current EMBY app on the Nvidia Shield TV '''' and my server software is update

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Tankerhank said:

Sorry to say but you are incorrect.  I have already stated this more than once  ....

And it doesn't strike you as odd that several users are telling you it works (as it has for quite some time), yet it still doesn't, so maybe something is off in your setup? 

CBers
4 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

Sorry to say but you are incorrect.  I have already stated this more than once  ....

I sat here holding the back button down while reading your post ... nothing happened.   If I press and release then it will jump back a page.

Sorry, but I am not incorrect, that is how the functionality works. 

Either you're doing it wrong or your remote is faulty. 

You have to long press the BACK/ARROW button for it work. 

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

Tankerhank
Just now, GrimReaper said:

And it doesn't strike you as odd that several users are telling you it works (as it has for quite some time), yet it still doesn't, so maybe something is off in your setup? 

Nope doesn't strike me as odd.   Struck me odd that there isn't a home button build into the pages of the app

I am running the current version of EMBY, current version of Android TV on an Nvidia Shield .. not a fire stick or another system .     

Sat here pressing the back button on a totally stock system ... 

• Haha 1

MBSki
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

I believe it's a 1 second hold correct? If you hold the button too long it may not do anything.

Tankerhank
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

Sorry, but I am not incorrect, that is how the functionality works. 

Either you're doing it wrong or your remote is faulty. 

Thanks.

I am not "doing it wrong", I know how to press and hold a button .. not rocket science.   There is nothing faulty about either of my remotes.

And I have been holding it again .. .just for you.   With no "heading to home"

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Tankerhank said:

Struck me odd that there isn't a home button build into the pages of the app

Screen estate is at premium on TV, putting a Home icon in all pages - which would require unnecessary number of clicks to be reached to begin with - would just be a duplication of already much easier way to reach Home screen, in addition to taking space for some more useful function. 

Tankerhank
2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I believe it's a 1 second hold correct? If you hold the button too long it may not do anything.

I have held it 1 second, then tried 2 seconds, and then 3 seconds .. just to satisfy that  ...

The remote works fine on both systems

arrbee99

Long press for in 1 second works here. On Fire TV holding it down for 6 seconds it goes back after 1 second and still holding down does nothing.

True, its not a Shield but they're both Android and both written by the same person. That not a guarantee but...

This probably doesn't matter much but I've typed it now...

arrbee99

Just to clarify, you tried the new remote on the new Shield and the old remote on the old Shield, or did you try both remotes (if thats possible) on just the new Shield ?

Tankerhank
Just now, GrimReaper said:

Screen estate is at premium on TV, putting a Home icon in all pages - which would require unnecessary number of clicks to be reached to begin with - would just be a duplication of already much easier way to reach Home screen, in addition to taking space for some more useful function. 

Screen real estate ?  OK.     Clicks? ..  scroll to the top of the screen to a home button.    

Sorry for bothering you all.

wasted your time and for sure wasted mine

FrostByte

Moved to appropriate section of forum as this is a problem and not a FR because the feature is already there and working for others.

OP can help by submitting logs while attempting to use the Home function which is malfunctioning for some reason, or wait for the devs to weight in.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Is it possible that within Android OS itself, the 'back' long press has been mapped to do something else - I can't remember the exact details and I'm not in front of my Shield atm but I do know you can map various buttons (with long and short press options). ?

• Solution
FrostByte

I used Button Mapper to reconfigure one of my buttons.  I'm sure the log would show what is being sent by the long press.

15 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

This is correct.  We don't use up space for a home button that might take you more clicks to reach than the back button presses to get where you want to go.

Long-press of the back button has been a shortcut to home for a long time.  If it isn't working for you, I suspect something is interfering with that functionality in your setup somehow.

Can you please navigate somewhere a few pages deep, then hold the back button down for 1-2 seconds and then immediately  follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Tankerhank
12 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I used Button Mapper to reconfigure one of my buttons.  I'm sure the log would show what is being sent by the long press.

BINGO!    This morning I did a search on button remapping for the shield, of course there is an app, so I downloaded it ...    Cool little app, it did just what you were suggesting.

A long hold of the back button now gets me back to HOME  ....   I thank you.

Both remotes are the newer style, I liked it on the newer "cigar" Shield so I replaced the old remote for the Shield Pro  ... not sure why the long hold wasn't set to work as others kept stating, but the mapping app kicked it into gear.

Again ... Thanks to all that offered assistance

• Like 3
  • Haha 2