HOME PAGE BUTTON

Tankerhank
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Tankerhank

Why is there NOT a home button on any of the pages EXCEPT home itself?   A home button on the home page is beyond useless, whereas a home button on all the other pages would remove the annoying process of hitting BACK-BACK-BACK-BACK to get back .... *wait for it*  .... HOME.

Call it a really good little project for the New Year.

LGB

arrbee99

Well, there is on a web page.

Also, on the Shield, you long press the Back button to go home (think its the back button). Same on FireTV I think. Thats ebr's Android TV app.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
21 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

you long press the Back button to go home (think its the back button)

It is. 

Tankerhank

I just got through holding the back button down .. NOTHING happens.  If I click it then it will jump back one page until I reach the EMBY home page.     

FYI -  I don't want to go to HOME of Android TV, there is a HOME button on the remote for going to home on Android TV.   

For EMBY:

There is a HOME button at the top of the home screen (exercise in ... ???), along with other buttons.   What would be worthwhile is to put a home button on all the pages, I do it with my websites, it is easy to put it on all the other pages, it isn't difficult but it would be useful.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

I just got through holding the back button down .. NOTHING happens.

Are you using Emby for AndroidTV client app or sideloaded Emby for Android? 

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Tankerhank said:

NOT true

Very true for all users. Or at least it should be. 

Tankerhank
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Are you using Emby for AndroidTV client app or sideloaded Emby for Android? 

Regular app, no reason to sideload

Tankerhank
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

Do you have a version number for your app ?

Are you saying the "latest version" has a home button on all the pages?   Just want to clarify before we play "what version you running"

Tankerhank
1 minute ago, arrbee99 said:

Regular Shield with regular Shield remote ?

Latest model ... and the older pro model as well   and yes the Nvidia remote.    

What does that have to do with EMBY not having a home button at the top of all the pages?

Edited by Tankerhank

arrbee99
Just now, Tankerhank said:

Are you saying the "latest version" has a home button on all the pages?   Just want to clarify before we play "what version you running"

No, its had long press for a while, it was just another way of asking whether it was ebr's regular version, which I think would be version 2.0.something, or Luke's other version, number 3.2.something.

Though you've answered that by now

GrimReaper
11 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Do you have a version number for your app ?

App version: Settings, it'll be noted in lower right corner. 

8 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

Are you saying the "latest version" has a home button on all the pages?

No version has Home button on all pages as that is unnecessary with working long-press Back button. 

6 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

What does that have to do with EMBY not having a home button at the top of all the pages?

As @arrbee99 stated. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

arrbee99
2 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

Latest model ... and the older pro model as well   and yes the Nvidia remote.    

I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of thing, but was just wondering if you were maybe using a Harmony remote (or similar) and it might possibly not apply to that.

MBSki
Just now, arrbee99 said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of thing, but was just wondering if you were maybe using a Harmony remote (or similar) and it might possibly not apply to that.

Harmony remote works with holding back button. That's what I use and it's worked in the past on the Shield. I'll have to test again later, to make sure it still works.

• Like 1

arrbee99
22 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

FYI -  I don't want to go to HOME of Android TV, there is a HOME button on the remote for going to home on Android TV.   

Yes, holding back should take you to the top of the Emby Home page, where My Media is. If you're in the TV Guide, I think it takes you to the first entry in the TV guide.

Hope I'm right, I'm good at talking rubbish with complete confidence...

EDIT - my better half is using the Shield at the moment, so I can't (daren't) check 😀

Edited by arrbee99
  • Haha 1

Tankerhank

Emby app version is  :  2.0.48g     (I had to click  back*back*back  to get to the home page to get at the version #)

Holding the back button on either Nvidia Shield version does nothing.   And I am not going to buy an after market remote when a quick program tweak would make the app more "user friendly"

Tankerhank

I'm not looking for a "work around" solution to a simple issue that has bugged me for years, that a simple program tweak would remedy. 

I was hoping for something a little more professional in my quest.

Edited by Tankerhank

CBers
3 minutes ago, Tankerhank said:

I'm not looking for a "work around" solution to a simple issue that has bugged me for years, that a simple program tweak would remedy. 

I was hoping for something a little more profession in my quest.

Long pressing the BACK button on the Shield remote will return you to the HOME page of the Android TV app, where your libraries are listed. 

If it's not working for you, then you may have a problem with the remote.

The functionality has been in the app for a few years . 

Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

arrbee99

Well, you certainly shouldn't have to buy a special remote to get it to work.

To me it should work as is, and you on the latest release version, far as I can see, not a beta.

I could wildly guess, if you're using the stable release and maybe the beta version of the server, there's some interaction going on stopping it working, but seems pretty unlikely, Or maybe some Shield setting has disabled it.

Sorry, not much help.

But still pretty sure it should work, so the feature you want should already be there. I was just testing on a Fire TV stick, and it works, press back to Emby Home screen, it even pops up a little message saying 'Returning Home...'

• Agree 1

Tankerhank
Just now, CBers said:

Long pressing the BACK button on the Shield remote will return you to the HOME page of the Android TV app, where your libraries are listed. 

If it's not working for you, then you may have a problem with the remote.

The functionality has been in the app for a few years . 

Thanks. 

Sorry to say but you are incorrect.  I have already stated this more than once  ....

I sat here holding the back button down while reading your post ... nothing happened.   If I press and release then it will jump back a page.