Spinning Spinning Spinning -- Fails to Start???

troyhough
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

MrLinford
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, I thought you said you did here:

From your log, it looks like maybe you are trying to play an unsupported DolbyVision profile.  Does "Playback Correction..." work?

"Playback Correction" OMG! Never had to use this before and this did resolve my issue. Thank you.

troyhough
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

From your log, it looks like maybe you are trying to play an unsupported DolbyVision profile.  Does "Playback Correction..." work?

I have not done the 'page rules' yet. However I did try the "playback correction" on my problem files and can say as soon as I click it the movie starts instantly probably 10 out of 10 times.

So what would be a proper fix for this going forward??

23 minutes ago, troyhough said:

I have not done the 'page rules' yet. However I did try the "playback correction" on my problem files and can say as soon as I click it the movie starts instantly probably 10 out of 10 times.

So what would be a proper fix for this going forward??

Pretty sure your issue is CF.  It works when transcoding because we are then using HLS instead of a static file so CF no longer attempts to cache it.

• Solution

Sorry, somehow didn't see this thread.

Turn off CF immediately until you get the page rules in place properly. The pages rules are there specifically to keep CF from caching video which is a giant red flag.
Using media/video services though their free service is against their TOS so even with the rules specifically preventing caching of this content it's still murky at best if it's a violation of their TOS.

I've reached out to them a couple times for clarification and talked to one person who told me it's technically still a violation even with the rules in place because the streams are still going through their service. He told me straight up they know everything there is to know about the type of content sites are transferring and they have been banning sites blatantly abusing their free service and may impose a ban on all home media servers from their free service in the future.

So we don't want to draw any un-needed attention to ourselves (as a group) by trying to show our intention isn't for them to cache the video data which is a paid services.

If you're having trouble understanding the rules to put in place send me a PM with your domain name and I'll give you the specific rules to put in place for your domain or help you quickly set it up via TeamViewer if you want. Just install TV be logged into CF ready to go and send me your TV ID and one-time password.  It will take less than 5 minutes to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ebr said:

@cayars don't we have a post or article somewhere with the proper rules needed?

@pir8radio has a set of guides that are perfect together or can be used separately for both nginx reverse proxy and for Cloudflare. The use of them together can be a bit tricky or need a little tuning but he has made it dead easy to setup by following his guides.  The Cloudflare guide has all the latest settings that stream perfectly without glitches or buffering that can happen if you don't get the settings correct.

Here is the complementary settings for NGINX used alone or in combination with Cloudflare:

• Like 1