Unable to find correct library path with Nvidia Shield and USB drive

VideoEnthusiast

VideoEnthusiast

Hi, I have been banging my head against the wall all day, trying to solve what seems like a simple problem. I have a working Emby server and library on a Windows 10 PC, and I bought a 2TB external USB drive (it is in a case, I believe it is an SSD but could be a regular HD also). I bought an external drive because I wanted to eventually switch to my Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro as my media server, which I am trying to set up today. I was able to install the Android version of Emby server without issues. I can get to my new Emby server on the Shield from any computer in my house using  http://10.0.0.128:8096. So far so good. When the USB drive is connected to my shield (which I named "Plexy"), it can see it as a "removable drive" and I can browse things X-Plore. I remember when I brought the drive, I even hooked it up to the Nvidia shield, and had the Shield format the blank drive- because I knew I would be plugging the drive back into the Shield in the future. So in Explore, I can see my existing libraries are at this path:

/storage/5DD4-3D44/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Movies
/storage/5DD4-3D44/NVIDIA_SHIELD/TV
/storage/5DD4-3D44/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Home Movies

it is not entirely clear to me if the Shield or Emby considers the "true path" to be the above (I think it does), or /Plexy/5DD4-3D44/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Movies etc.  Regardless, my problem is that I am unable to add these  libraries to my new Emby server on the Shield,  because I can't seem to get the path right in the folder. On the screen below, what is the correct path? I have gone nuts trying all sorts of things including

\\10.0.0.128\NVIDIA_SHIELD\Movies
/Android/data/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Movies
/storage/5DD4-3D44/Android/data/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Movies

One good piece of information that I read in this forum is that when you click on Folder, it is not meant to be like file explorer in windows, you have to know the path. However, nothing I try seems to work. If I just try \\10.0.0128 and press enter, it is happy, and works, but of course it contains nothing and "scan libraries" does not detect anything. Also, it seems to suggest the start of the path (as shown below), but I think it is giving me wrong suggestions-- I think some of the selections are wrong things that I typed in before.

One other wonky suggestion I read is to try plugging my USB drive in the other USB port - but I don't think that will help, since it is seeing the files fine in X-Plore. Also, I know that the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder is writeable from the Shield itself, because earlier today I had set up an app to record TV shows to a new folder called TV_Recordings the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.

image.png.d223fa3f8fa286e8db1c3dca6947634f.png

VideoEnthusiast

Hi Luke, Thanks. I had used that setup guide, and seen that article already. However when i clicked on that link, it led me to some other documentation including this one on Library setup: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159319. It said one should be able to browse to a directory, but if not the path should still work. I noticed for Windows the example showed  C:\Media\Videos\Movies and so I figure the "right" way to put in the path is to put the slashes in the same direction that your OS does. Since Android is unix-like, I tried using forward slashes, and I put this in, and it worked? This time it "took".

So in that help article, you may want to add some other examples from android, linux, etc. I thought I tried this yesterday, and the only other change that I had made was to switch USB slots on the shield for the external drive. If it helps I can remount the drive in the other slot when adding the next library to see if that is in fact the cause.

4 hours ago, VideoEnthusiast said:

Hi Luke, Thanks. I had used that setup guide, and seen that article already. However when i clicked on that link, it led me to some other documentation including this one on Library setup: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159319. It said one should be able to browse to a directory, but if not the path should still work. I noticed for Windows the example showed  C:\Media\Videos\Movies and so I figure the "right" way to put in the path is to put the slashes in the same direction that your OS does. Since Android is unix-like, I tried using forward slashes, and I put this in, and it worked? This time it "took".

So in that help article, you may want to add some other examples from android, linux, etc. I thought I tried this yesterday, and the only other change that I had made was to switch USB slots on the shield for the external drive. If it helps I can remount the drive in the other slot when adding the next library to see if that is in fact the cause.

Sounds like you skipped steps in the guide Luke linked to.

Unfortunately there are several things that need to be setup on the Shield TV itself for storage access regardless of location (USB attached or network).

Check out these other links as the steps from them may still need to be completed:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058102-android-tv-storage-attachment
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4437/~/how-to-write-to-usb-shared-storage-on-shield

This one is optional but quick and easy
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, sdrumm113 said:

Emby server does not even show up as you say it does.

Hi, doesn't show up where exactly?