2022 TV episodes not saving to media folders

gone2ray
Go to solution Solved by gone2ray,

gone2ray

Today I added a new TV series The Big Leap and s03e01 of 9-1-1 Lone Star as well as new episodes of NCIS and NCIS Hawaii. 

Emby scraped the information and displays it correctly.

However it only saved nfo/thumbs for NCIS and NCIS Hawaii. 

The Big Leap folder is emoty other than the media files. Season 3 folder of 9-1-1 Lone Star is the same.

So emby is only saving nfo/thumbs for pre-existing TV shows.

Movies are scraping and saving correctly.

No settings have been changed and the only thing I have done is update emby before Christmas. 

I thought it may be a permissions issue. So I reset them as below but that didnt help.

sudo setfacl -m user:emby:rxw /media/drives/drive1

My 15 media drives are mounted using fstab via the Disks utility.

It's the fact existing TV shows are saving correctly that has me stumped.

I'm running emby 4.6.7.0 on an HP microserver Gen8 with Linux Mint 20.

Edited by gone2ray

gone2ray

Hi Like.

I have checked.

It's only doing this for new shows. Which there are only The Big Leap and 9-1-1 Lone Star season 3.

The Rookie and NCIS that started last year are saving correctly.

Since they are in the same parent folder it doesn't make sense.

I manually added the season.nfo to see if that was the issue. But it wasn't.

Screenshot_20220104-182553_Emby.thumb.jpg.d7b87bbc7e5c3e11702ee072507c7c6e.jpgScreenshot_20220104-183454_Emby.thumb.jpg.6d47019a82c4fb138021868689af84a4.jpgScreenshot_20220104-182056_FX.thumb.jpg.f66c639ba0fe1a6742deedfe3d36fa13.jpgScreenshot_20220104-184005_FX.thumb.jpg.a76f01ff60a71e3892089a25b2fb23d8.jpg

Edited by gone2ray

gone2ray

Having thought through my issue I should first explain my exact setup and mention the one thing that has changed.

The one thing that I wouldn't expect to be the cause of the issue and why I didnt mention it.

I am using a HP Gen8 microserver with Linux Mint 20 in the ODD bay and an micro sd card with the boot loader in a USB reader inside the server's internal USB port. 

4x 4tb intetnal drives with TV shows.

1x 2tb drive in a USB3 enclosure for downloads

Currently 6x 12tb and 2x 6tb drives in a pair of USB3 5 bay enclosures. With 2x 12tb waiting to be fitted.

I don't use raid on my media drives. 

The pair of 5 bay enclosure drives are formatted in NTFS this was chosen after contacting the manufacturer as it offered faster write speeds. But in reality it wasn't that much faster than ext4. The majority of the content are movies and they are saving artwork and nfos fine.

Now for those that don't know, Linux Mint has had native support for NTFS for a while now. Since LM 20 if you let the OS sort out the mounting of an external NTFS drive the Rubbish Bin works. If you manually setup the mounting on NTFS dives the Rubbish Bin is disabled.

This is an issue for me as since LM 20 last update my server would hang and not boot to the desktop. A clean install had the same booting problem. Setting the drives to manually mount via fstab fixed that. So my server boots and the NTFS drives don't have a Runish Bin.

I can live with that.

Have you guessed why my 4 internal drives are not saving?

Before Christmas I archived completed TV shows to the 12tb drives and thought I might aswell format my 4x 4tb internal drives from NTFS to ext4. So they would have a working Rubbish Bin. As LM20 again disables the bin on NTFS drives.

Simple, I have a Rubbish Bin on my internal drives all is good.

That's the only thing that changed.

So I formatted one of the internal drives to NTFS, copied a couple of new TV shows and added those folders to emby.

And they saved artwork and nfos correctly without me needing to reset permissions. 

So it is a permissions issue which the below command works for NTFS drives but not on ext4. It doesn't work recursively on ext4 drives.

sudo setfacl -m user:emby:rxw /media/me/TVdrive1

Resetting permission didnt work on ext4.

Trying -R switch generated an error

So giving emby read/write permissions differ dependent on the drive format?

I really don't fancy moving my TV shows around again just to use NTFS on the internal drives.

Thoughts?

Edited by gone2ray

gone2ray

Been reading....

Not the same issues as emby sees ALL of my media and saves to existing folders on the ext4 drives just not new folders.

id emby
uid=999(emby) gid=999(emby) groups=999(emby),44(video),109(render)

permissions, permissions it's always permissions 

The below worked for me, emby is now saving to my internal ext4 drives.

Not sure the capital X is needed over x.

sudo setfacl -R -m d:u:emby:rwX,u:emby:rwX /media/me/TVdrive1

Edited by gone2ray

gone2ray
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the update.

No worries Luke. 

It's a fickle beast them permissions 😀

• Thanks 1

gone2ray

An update, the below command did give emby rwx permissions but at the same time it removed me. I can access the folder just not the files.

sudo setfacl -R -m d:u:emby:rwX,u:emby:rwX /media/me/TVdrive1

So the new shows and seasons I've added have saved the nfos/thumbs correctly but are locked for me.

Ok, not really ideal but...

Now the really weird thing, I've add an existing show but the HD version.

Seasons 1-6 haven't saved the nfos/thumbs but did for season 7.

I think the easiest thing to do is remove all user permissions and then give emby and myself wrx.

Hopefully that will sort it.

Q-Droid

Ask yourself three questions:
1. Who do you want as the owner of the files - user and group?
2. Who needs to access the files - user and group?
3. Who will be creating and modifying files - user and group? The creator will be the owner.

Then read thru this: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001962818-linux-unix-permissions

Then come back and do the following:
1. Reset the ACLs you've defined for the media tree - files and directories, recursively.
2. Change/add user group membership to fit your access scheme.
3. Change user:group ownership of your media files and directories, recursively.
4. Create the ACLs for the media files and directories (existing and default) using your new scheme, recursively.

This should take care of all your access needs until you add new users and/or new storage with different paths for the media. Repeat for new storage.

• Solution
gone2ray

Solve it this evening as below

sudo chmod -R 700 /media/me/TVdrive1

sudo setfacl -R -m user:emby:rxw /media/me/TVdrive1

sudo chown -R me:me /media/me/TVdrive1

1> remove group access

2> give emby user rxw

3>  chown drive to get access to the locked files

Those that are observant with NTFS "sudo setfacl -m user:emby:rxw /media/me/TVdrive1" worked

With ext4 this is the cmd "sudo setfacl -R -m user:emby:rxw /media/me/TVdrive1"

It's the -R that is needed with ext4