Android Client External Player how?

deej1978

Go to solution Solved by deej1978,

deej1978

When I select the option to use External player a pop message appears saying "No Player, it doesn't appear you have a video capable app installed. This option requires you to install a 3rd party app for playing video content." Well I have VLC installed, and MX player. What am I missing here? When I sideload the Android Mobile version of this app then the option to choose VLC is available, but not in the Android TV client. Is this a bug? Same thing happens on Sony TV and two generations of Nvidia Shield. 

Edited by deej1978

FrostByte

Working for me using .61 beta.  The only external player bug I see mentioned being fixed since stable though is

• Fix play next up from series when using external player

deej1978
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Working for me using .61 beta.  The only external player bug I see mentioned being fixed since stable though is

• Fix play next up from series when using external player

Seems to be a VLC issue. I just installed MX player and now it's working as intended, MX player is having issues displaying HDR though, grey bars top and bottom.

FrostByte

Latest VLC is working here as external player, it does seem to take a bit of time to load though (spinning cone) before playback starts

I assume your media is cropped if you're seeing gray bars

Edited by FrostByte

• Solution
deej1978
6 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Latest VLC is working here as external player, it does seem to take a bit of time to load though (spinning cone) before playback starts

I assume your media is cropped if you're seeing gray bars

What was happening is the Androids UI pop up wasn't appearing for me for some unknown reason. Once I installed MX Player the pop up worked and VLC was then there as a choice. Weird. Thanks. 

• Like 1