H/W Transcoding on Evansport (DS415play/DS214play) Machines

Gjallhorn

Gjallhorn

I am another DS214play user on 4.7.0.19 beta and can confirm hardware transcoding is not working. The exact name of the package I'm on is emby-server-synology7-mono_4.7.0.19_x86.spk

Is there any intention make progress on this, or does the age and diminished user base of the device mean we should not hold our breath?

EDIT : DSM Version is 7.0.1-42218

Edited by Gjallhorn

On 1/1/2022 at 2:20 PM, Gjallhorn said:

I am another DS214play user on 4.7.0.19 beta and can confirm hardware transcoding is not working. The exact name of the package I'm on is emby-server-synology7-mono_4.7.0.19_x86.spk

Is there any intention make progress on this, or does the age and diminished user base of the device mean we should not hold our breath?

EDIT : DSM Version is 7.0.1-42218

There isn't much Emby can do as your NAS only has a 2 core, 2 hyperthread 1.6GHz Atom CPU with no embedded QuickSync GPU.  It's a circa 2009 CPU which is pretty old these days.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+330+%40+1.60GHz&id=604

That CPU predates QuickSync so there is no hardware transcoding available on that CPU.
It has a total passmark score of 371 and Single Thread Rating of 168.

It may be able to handle small bitrate 720 files to transcode or to transcode audio via software but that's about as much as it can do.  You need to get up to around 1500-2000 passmark score to transcode 1080 files.  Alternately have an Nvidia GPU or CPU with QuickSync built in.

If you have a smart phone made in the last couple of years it likely has 2 or 3X the computing power. :(

• 4 months later...
Servernoob
On 1/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, cayars said:

That CPU predates QuickSync so there is no hardware transcoding available on that CPU.

I have the same model DS214Play and the reason I bought it back in the day was because of the hardware transcoding. The doc mentions hardware transcoding https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/14-year/DS214play/enu/Synology_DS214play_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

I don’t remember where I read this but I think it uses QuickSync too.

Hardware Transcoding Engine Yes (Hardware Transcoding Video Codec: H.264 (AVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-2, VC-1)

I just switched to Emby and I was hoping this would work. I’m currently trying premiere. Prior I used Plex with a custom ffmpeg version compiled for hardware decoding and DTS support. I had no problem. Is there any reason why I cannot use my own version of ffmpeg with Emby?

There’s some instructions on this page from 5 years ago. Should I follow this?

Hi, We don't advise doing that because we use a custom version of ffmpeg and have made changes to the way it communicates with Emby.