Quality option for remote users

JuJuJurassic

JuJuJurassic

Would it be possible to set a quality profile for remote clients? Those connecting across the internet rather than a lan.

Such that, if there were both a 4K and 1080 version of a media file, the remote client would only be presented the 1080 version. If a file was only available in 4K, it wouldn’t be presented in the library view.

A drop down, similar to the maximum remote bandwith, would allow me to specify the highest quality that user could stream.

This would in turn reduce the transcoding requirements and allow me to have 4K versions for my lan users and a 1080 for remote users.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by JuJuJurassic
Typo

would allow me to specify the highest quality that user could stream.

Hi, we already have this in user permissions, where you can set this for each user.

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we already have this in user permissions, where you can set this for each user.

I believe he is asking for a limitation on exactly which source can be selected, not just what quality of result will be delivered.  IOW - don't allow someone to select a 75mb UHD title as the source that will then be transcoded down to 5 or 10Mb.

It sure seems like this has been requested before but I cannot find it in this forum so perhaps it was just a discussion in another topic.