Live tv advice

JuJuJurassic

JuJuJurassic

Hi,

I’m looking at implementing live TV, and would like a little advice on what solution, media portal, nextpvr, tvheadend to use. That’s why it’s not in the live tv area, there’s no area that is generic enough.

I'm going to run it on a raspberry pi 4, either the 4 or 8 GB versions. 
I saw the following guide https://dirtyoptics.com/raspberry-pi-tv-server-using-tvheadend/

im looking at using this usb tuner https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WinTV-dual-HD-Freeview-broadcasts/dp/B011Z7I0JY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1WXFCCXT5MRW5&keywords=dual+dvd+usb+tuner&qid=1640736830&sprefix=dual%20tvd%20usb%20tuner%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-1

I’d appreciate it if anyone could let me know if the hardware is suitable, and recommend a suitable usb free sat tuner. I’m in the UK.

thanks and have a good evening 

pwhodges
9 hours ago, JuJuJurassic said:

I’m looking at implementing live TV, and would like a little advice on what solution, media portal, nextpvr, tvheadend to use.

Emby doesn't (yet) handle the Hauppauge without its own software, and I don't think that Hauppauge provide any that works on a Raspberry Pi (hence that guide using Tvheadend).  But it handles Silicon Dust equipment directly (via ethernet, not usb), and so needs no extra help.

So get your chosen hardware (that works directly with Emby), and set it up in Emby.  You should get a good experience, but if you want more in some respect, that's the time to ask about extra software, once you know what Emby already does.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

JuJuJurassic

Thank you very much for your advice. I’ll use  the HD home run for freeview tv.

do you  have any suggestions for free sat?

thanks

pwhodges

I know little about satellite systems, but expect they are more trouble to set up than Freeview with the HDHomeRun.

Paul

JuJuJurassic

Hi Paul, 

years ago I was in Cape Town and watched the local soaps. The acting was so bad it was hysterical. That’s why I want free sat. I did look at iptv but prefer a legal solution. I did test it on another solution and I can receive the soaps.

Any suggestions?

emveepee

If you want to run the PVR backend on the RPi4, I would recommend using LibreElec 10 as you host and using NextPVR or TVHeadend.  You can run either of them natively or in Docker.  Both of them use the same interface to the h/w so you shouldn't see too much difference.

I have experience running Hauppauge USB but NextPVR native with ATSC on the RPi and it just worked.  The reason I suggest LE is the option of using it as client, and Kodi is by far the best client for PVR on the RPi.  If you don't want all those wires by the TV then you can of course run Raspian somewhere else.

Martin

Do you have the Pi yet?  If not, I would not purchase it for use as your main Emby Server.  It doesn't have the muscle needed to transcode.  TV is often going to remux or transcode based on the client playing back the channel.

You would need a network tuner as no tuner can be directly plugged into it so an HDHomeRun or IPTV service would be what's needed.

If you already have a Pi try installing Emby Server on it and setup a test library.  Play something back from a browser and see how it works.  Then try forcing a transcode and see how it performs.  If this is working ok for you, I might suggest getting an IPTV subscription (search the net) instead of a hardware tuner.  The reason is most of the streams have already been converted to H.264 vs using Mpeg2 so will likely direct play and give you a much better experience.

The Pi might be fine as a traveling server if you have media already setup and converted to direct play.  The Pi can also make a fine player as well.

emveepee

The RPi4 can still make a reasonable TV server as it doesn't have to be the Emby host and then you aren't limited by Windows, NAS Emby host tuner hardware.   This also fits in ideally with my earlier suggestion for Emby to add support for SAT>IP  The RPi can run minisat and serve SAT>IP to Emby.  This is much easier to setup then a PVR backend.

Martin

JuJuJurassic

Hi all,

I have a separate, quite powerful, Emby server, the PI is just to run headend to link into the Media server.

As Emby is used by my in-laws, I need it to be a simple solution. A separate TV server and hence interface, would be a bit much for them. I like the HDHomerun as it's easy. The satellite solution seems to be a bit more difficult.

I think a Pi running tvheadend, with USB satellite tuners is the way to go. Has anyone used anything equivalent to HDhomerun?

thanks

I've got one of the newer Pi4 8GB models with upgraded clock speed.  For Christmas I got a new case for it with built in SSD slot. I have a 512GB M.2 2280 SATA SSD 3D NAND drive.
I haven't made time to switch the case and set it up for SSD use but can try to soon.  I'd be curious to see if it can handle any type of transcoding that would likely be needed (ie having to deinterlace).

JeremyG

I'm confused as to the need for any extra software for LiveTV.    

I have the HDHomeRun and Emby records stuff just fine and plays back on any device.     I did see something about a relative needing a "simple" interface, but you could just make them a user with access to LiveTV but no libraries.

It's works just fine for many people out of the box.  Some people on lesser hardware might have a bit of a rougher time with some codecs like mpeg2 or perhaps may have a local station or two that broadcast a wee bit out of spec and could cause issues. Streams from m3u files could have literally any kind of stream in them or multiple. Different regions/countries have different standards and completely different hardware. Some countries use Closed Captions which is embedded in the video while other regions use subtitles for TV.

Streams may drastically change between the movie/show and the commercial with CC/Subs coming and going. Languages might change as well like watching a Spanish station with English as the 2nd audio channel, but all commercials in English. There is a crazy amount of things to handle with something like Emby Server as it's not a simple IPTV player where you just say "here the stream, box play it". :)

Live TV is all over the place you could say.  So it's near impossible for everyone to just install the network HDHomeRun, config it in Emby and be done. For many, that's all that's needed.