Jump to content

Pregunta tonta sobre requerimentos de hardwarey tarjetas graficas


gorylong
 Share

Go to solution Solved by cayars,

Recommended Posts

Bueno, de antemano quiero agradecer a las respuestas y a quienes se tomen el tiempo de leerme

Tengo emby instalado en linux/Debian y quiero saber que hardware seria necesario para unos 50 usuarios simultaneos, tambien quiero saber si es necesaria una tarjeta de video

Hé leido un poco sobre el hardware pero mi ingles no es muy bueno y no entiendo claramente

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With 50 simultaneous users that would be roughly 250-400 people on your system.  Do you have that many family and personal friends? You may want to reread our TOS as this sounds like a commercial or business operation.  If so send an email to billing@emby.media and they can help you out with a license that can be commercially.

You may just be wondering or dreaming of having a "killer media server" and nothing wrong with that so let's look at a few things.
First in order to stream to remote users you need to have a computer built to handle the load.  That's usually not an issue or can be handled without to much trouble.

The main bottleneck will always be one of two things.  The media itself (cover that in a bit) and the amount of bandwidth you have available to stream.

If you plan to run this server from your house we need to check your upload bandwidth.
What kind of Internet plan do you have?  If you go out and run a speed test at these two sites what do you get for the upload speed?
https://speed.cloudflare.com  Look on the righthand side at the server location.  Ideally it should be in the same general geographic area.
https://speedof.me/  
https://speedsmart.net This will likely give you higher upload numbers. Check server location on this one as well.

Those 3 bandwidth test sites each perform the test a bit differently than most others that may show numbers 3 times higher.  These results are realist of actual usable bandwidth.

Once you know the amount of upload bandwidth you have available you can use some simple math to guestimate simultaneous users. As an Example if your average media is 10Mb per second (view media info like this at the bottom of the detail page on the media) and you have 100Mb available to stream you can support roughly 10 streams. If the media bitrate is 20Mb then 5 streams.  If media bitrate is 5Mb then 20 streams.  So back of the napkin math will get you in the ball park.

Ideally, you will want to curate your media to make sure it's in a format all Emby clients can direct play.  That will save you from having to convert the media on the fly. Users using browsers is often the worst client for example if you media is converted to h.265 in an mkv file.  Many browsers will not direct play mkv files and many browsers will not decode h.265.

In the above example the ideal format would be mp4 file with a 2 channel stereo sound track and media in h.264 as that should direct play. The mkv with 2 channel audio and H.265 will likely be 1/2 to 2/3 the size needing less bandwidth when direct played.  It's super important to always provide a 2 channel audio source other wise a transcode could be needed.  You want to also avoid graphic subtitles and only use text base subs if needed as they too cause transcoding.

So as you can see from a high level overview there are many things you need to do with your media before adding it to Emby for best results.  Otherwise the Emby Server will need to transcode a lot of the media.  Roughly speaking to error on the safe side I would make the assumption a mid-class GPU like Nvidia RTX 2070 (with alternate driver pack) will support 15 to 20 streams.  Only one GPU can be used per system at present so if you media is a mess the simple answer would be count on 15 streams.  The more you curate the media the more direct streams that can be handled leaving the GPU for special cases.

It's actually not hard to do this on a modern high-end PC (i7/i9) with proper fast storage, but it requires the needed Internet upload bandwidth to stream the files as well as doing your best to curate the media into a format that will direct play.

Hope that helps to give you enough info to start thinking about sizing and what's involved in supporting so many users at one time.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
gorylong

Disculpa si apenas contesto, ya sabes problemas familiares

En realidad no quiero sacar nada a internet, todo lo planeo hacer en una red local

On 12/22/2021 at 11:38 AM, cayars said:

In the above example the ideal format would be mp4 file with a 2 channel stereo sound track and media in h.264 as that should direct play. The mkv with 2 channel audio and H.265 will likely be 1/2 to 2/3 the size needing less bandwidth when direct played.  It's super important to always provide a 2 channel audio source other wise a transcode could be needed.  You want to also avoid graphic subtitles and only use text base subs if needed as they too cause transcoding.

Con respecto a la conversión del video,encontre esto:

https://cirelramos.blogspot.com/2017/06/convertir-video-en-terminal-de-ubuntu.html

me preguntaba si con este comando se solucionaria el problema, sinceramente no heconvertido muchos videos y no tengo mucha idea de como hacerlo y cumplir con los parametros que indicas

ffmpeg -i example.mov -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -preset fast -profile:v main -acodec aac -strict -2 example.mp4 -hide_banner


-f mp4 con este parámetro estamos especificando que el archivo de salida tendrá formato mp4.
-vcodec libx264 con este parámetro estamos especificando el códec de vídeo que queremos usar. En este caso estamos utilizando libx264 que es un codificador de vídeo H264. (Podemos usar el parámetro -c: v libx264)
-preset fast con este parámetro estamos especificando el codificador (libx264) algunas opciones para el proceso de codificación. Podemos utilizar cualquiera de los diferentes presets que existen (ultra rápido, rápido, rápido, medio, lento, lento o veryslow del más rápido al más lento). Los presets más lentos producirán vídeo de mejor calidad en menos espacio, pero tardará más tiempo en procesarse.
-profile: v main este parámetro es similar al preset. El parámetro de perfil indica el codificador si puede utilizar algunas opciones avanzadas para mejorar la compresión de vídeo. La desventaja es que el uso de estas opciones avanzadas puede hacer que el video no se pueda reproducir en algunos dispositivos antiguos. Estamos utilizando el perfil principal, ya que está muy bien soportado, pero podemos utilizar uno de los siguientes: línea de base, principal, alto, high10, high422 y high444
-acodec aac con este parámetro estamos especificando el codificador de audio a utilizar, en este caso estamos utilizando audio aac codec.
-hide_banner ocultará alguna información de compilación acerca de ffmpeg.

 

On 12/22/2021 at 11:38 AM, cayars said:

So as you can see from a high level overview there are many things you need to do with your media before adding it to Emby for best results.  Otherwise the Emby Server will need to transcode a lot of the media.  Roughly speaking to error on the safe side I would make the assumption a mid-class GPU like Nvidia RTX 2070 (with alternate driver pack) will support 15 to 20 streams.  Only one GPU can be used per system at present so if you media is a mess the simple answer would be count on 15 streams.  The more you curate the media the more direct streams that can be handled leaving the GPU for special cases.

En cuanto a la tarjeta grafica no encontre muchas opciones de compra para la nvidia 2070, me preguntaba si alguna de estas cumple con lo que comentaste:

https://www.cyberpuerta.mx/Tarjetas-de-Video-Entusiasta/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not use that command as it's very generic and CPU use only. If you have a GPU like Nvidia or Intel QuickSync you would want to offload the conversion to it which would require changing the parameters.

Instead of trying to figure this out manually start with a GUI that uses ffmpeg and shows you the commands it's using (so you can learn from it).  One such tool is XMedia Recode.
https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/index.php

Website is a horrible mess but the software is great.  You'll quickly figure you can do things like convert the video but keep certain audio tracks while removing others.  Same with subtitles.

As an example I only speak English.  So if I get a movie that has audio in Italian, Russian and English, has subtitles in 5 others I'll almost always drop all language except English.  The audio might be a single track that's 7.1 which I can't always play (no fancy audio in bedroom).  So I can can create a 2 channel stereo audio track from the 7.1 track and also copy the 7.1 track ending up with 2 audio tracks. One I'll use for non surround environments and one for the family room.

The program will make it much easier to get started with GPU as well picking the proper codecs to use and color spaces.  If watching the command generated by it you'll learn quickly.

However since Xmedia Recode allows you to set up batches of files to process quickly you may never want to do it at the command line but instead queue up 50 movies and walk away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes if using Recode. I typically use it on a Linux box that has windows 11 in a VM with GPU passed through. It runs fine like that.

What OSes do you have available to use?
We can look for an ffmpeg GUI  for that OS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gorylong
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Yes if using Recode. I typically use it on a Linux box that has windows 11 in a VM with GPU passed through. It runs fine like that.

What OSes do you have available to use?
We can look for an ffmpeg GUI  for that OS.

Pues si no es mucha molestia, me siento comodo usando linux/Debian, de echo tengo instalado emby en una pc con OMV (basado en debian)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll take a look and see what I can find.  For the most part people into media have usually used Windows for this task even if Linux die-hards simply because of the graphic drivers needed for for the GPU.

Speaking of that, what GPU do you have in your Linux machine to use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gorylong
2 hours ago, cayars said:

I'll take a look and see what I can find.  For the most part people into media have usually used Windows for this task even if Linux die-hards simply because of the graphic drivers needed for for the GPU.

Speaking of that, what GPU do you have in your Linux machine to use?

En mi pc que uso como servidor de videos tengo solo el integrado en la MBB

Quote

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. AMD RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 5
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)

y en mi cpu de uso diario tambien solo tengo los grafics integrados

Quote

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation B75 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)

Si es complicado hacerlo bajo lnux creo que seria mejor hacerlo como dices en windows

 

Estuve revisando unos videos y encontre esto, me gustaria saber tu opinion:

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nvidia GPUs are the favorite around here and what most of us use with Emby. I've got an whole assortment of cards and can tell you for the $ the GTX 1650 with TURING chipset is the best value for use with Emby, at least from what I've seen. You have to be careful with this on however and verify the chipset.

Value for $ is kind of hard to say these days as all the GPUs sell for twice the list price right now if you can find them thanks to the miners.

https://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyte-gv-n1656wf2oc-4gd-gtx-1650-d6-windforce/gigmbd_gvn1656wf2oc4gd.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gorylong
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, cayars said:

Nvidia GPUs are the favorite around here and what most of us use with Emby. I've got an whole assortment of cards and can tell you for the $ the GTX 1650 with TURING chipset is the best value for use with Emby, at least from what I've seen. You have to be careful with this on however and verify the chipset.

Value for $ is kind of hard to say these days as all the GPUs sell for twice the list price right now if you can find them thanks to the miners.

https://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyte-gv-n1656wf2oc-4gd-gtx-1650-d6-windforce/gigmbd_gvn1656wf2oc4gd.html

disculpa la pregunta, y entonces no tienen el famoso bloqueo de los 3 transcoding? o es que no tiene esa restriccion con la 1650? o yo he entendido mal?

lo mencionan en el video

 

Edited by gorylong
anexar mas informacion de referencia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

gorylong
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

All consumer cards are coded with limits, so the unlock patch is required to exceed the 3 concurrent sessions limit.

You can see the card limits in the encoding tables here.

Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix [NEW] | NVIDIA Developer

entendi que esto no sucede con las AMD? y si es asi, cual seria una buena recomendación?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
10 hours ago, gorylong said:

I understood that this does not happen with AMD? And if so, what would be a good recommendation?

Not unless you want to try and write code for ffmpeg to allow the AMD to magically do processing that an NVidia can do. :)  Nvidia GPUs are popular for media because they have very special features built in for offloading the work. With other GPUs we can get some hardware assistance (better than nothing) but the CPU is still doing much of the heavy lifting.

Some of the consumer Intel CPUs have something similar built into the CPU itself called QuickSync. Many versions of the CPU have this but like Nvidia you need a later generation CPU for good quality.

It's possible to have both QuickSync and NVidia GPUs at the same time on the same machine.  The computer I use daily for example has an i7 with Intel UHD Graphics P630 built in.  It also has an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070. That gives me these choices in Emby Transcode menu to adjust to my liking.
image.png.63c560c02951ee2e8fcd247796664aab.png

That of course is just 2 of the many sections but I can pick and choose what Emby uses for each combination of codec.  NVDEC hands down is the best on this system and 3 to 4 times faster then QuickSync. On the other hand my Synology NAS has a lowly Intel Celeron proc in it with QuickSync and that's what's used on it.  It still has enough muscle to do 4K HDR to SDR conversion for a single stream or handle 4 or 5 1080 transcodes.

BTW, the "unlock" mentioned is done via the drives loaded.  Sounds way more like "hacking" then it really is. Nvidia is their glorious wisdom  essentially produces the same hardware as far as we are concerned with two different names.  One is sold to consumers usually as "GeForce" and the other to workstation/server markets.  The difference isn't the hardware but the drives.  Nvidia artificially limits the stream processing to 3 in software, not hardware. The hack is essentially changing the name the driver looks for so it enables the pro features vs consumer features. :)  Other than the small edit to the driver code to fool it you are running pure Nvidia drivers.

Also, just so you know even without the "hack" it can process 3 streams at once.  You could have 6 streams active with throttling and Emby might only have 2 being processed at one time if they are 1080 files since the transcoding is so fast.  On the other hand if doing 4K HDR to SDR tone mapping 3 transcodes will likely hog up the GPU without room for a 4th (either way).

3rd party conversion software and ffmpeg itself uses the GPU pipeline similar so while saying Emby above, a lot of it applies to other programs as well that you would use to pre-transcode or manipulate your media with. If you are doing this the "hack" isn't important as you really don't gain anything time wise going past 3 conversions and typically 2 is optimal.

Lots of talk of Nvidia here but don't count QuickSync out as you might have it already.  What CPU is in your current PC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gorylong
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Not unless you want to try and write code for ffmpeg to allow the AMD to magically do processing that an NVidia can do. :)  Nvidia GPUs are popular for media because they have very special features built in for offloading the work. With other GPUs we can get some hardware assistance (better than nothing) but the CPU is still doing much of the heavy lifting.

Some of the consumer Intel CPUs have something similar built into the CPU itself called QuickSync. Many versions of the CPU have this but like Nvidia you need a later generation CPU for good quality.

It's possible to have both QuickSync and NVidia GPUs at the same time on the same machine.  The computer I use daily for example has an i7 with Intel UHD Graphics P630 built in.  It also has an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070. That gives me these choices in Emby Transcode menu to adjust to my liking.
image.png.63c560c02951ee2e8fcd247796664aab.png

 

Y puedo tener toda esta magia en Linux(DEBIAN)? o solo en windows?

3 hours ago, cayars said:

Lots of talk of Nvidia here but don't count QuickSync out as you might have it already.  What CPU is in your current PC?

Tengo un muy modesto y viejo: "AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core" con una MBB  "Asus m5a78l-m lx" y una RAM "kingston Fury Ddr3 8G 1600 MHz" con unas grafias integradas:  "ATI RS780L [Radeon 3000]". Pensaba actualizar todo el sistema, por eso me preguntaba sobre tarjeta de video y procesador, pensaba comprar una procesador de unos 290USD y una tarjeta de video un poco menos costosa, pero viedo los precios de algunas tarjetas de video no se si sea posible adquirirla

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clarify Emby Server will use an AMD GPU if possible via VA API.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160207-hardware-acceleration-on-linux

You should take a look at this KB article as well as the links on that page to see if you happen to have anything that can be used.
If so great, give it a try.  But if you don't have something AMD now I wouldn't purchase it specifically for Emby as the money would be better saved for an Nvidia GPU or higher end motherboard/Intel CPU with QuickSync built in.

With current Nvidia GPU being what may be the best deal is likely an embedded motherboard such as a notebook or desktop if you can find one. 
It's pretty typical to get embedded Intel GPUs on a higher end notebook motherboard.  No reason you couldn't use one in a PC build as I've done it a few times.

My present MSI i7 notebook has both QuickSync and a RTX 2070 and it kicks butt transcoding.  Being a notebook it's about 10% slower than the desktop counterpart but 25% or so faster than any GTX desktop card. I stopped counting at 15 transcodes with it. Going to be cooler and more energy efficient as well.  So that's a possibility if you can build yourself.

Otherwise the best value in GPUs is probably buying it with a new computer where you don't pay the huge mark up. Here's just one example but the local Walmart, staples, best buy often have them and an open box special will save more yet.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-0016-06214?Item=9SIAH71DNV6390&Description=nvidia motherboard&cm_re=nvidia_motherboard-_-9SIAH71DNV6390-_-Product

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 1:00 PM, Luke said:

Hi @gorylong has this helped?

Si, me ayudo mucho, disculpa si no contestaba habia estado un poco ocupado

 

On 1/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, cayars said:

Just to clarify Emby Server will use an AMD GPU if possible via VA API.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160207-hardware-acceleration-on-linux

You should take a look at this KB article as well as the links on that page to see if you happen to have anything that can be used.
If so great, give it a try.  But if you don't have something AMD now I wouldn't purchase it specifically for Emby as the money would be better saved for an Nvidia GPU or higher end motherboard/Intel CPU with QuickSync built in.

With current Nvidia GPU being what may be the best deal is likely an embedded motherboard such as a notebook or desktop if you can find one. 
It's pretty typical to get embedded Intel GPUs on a higher end notebook motherboard.  No reason you couldn't use one in a PC build as I've done it a few times.

My present MSI i7 notebook has both QuickSync and a RTX 2070 and it kicks butt transcoding.  Being a notebook it's about 10% slower than the desktop counterpart but 25% or so faster than any GTX desktop card. I stopped counting at 15 transcodes with it. Going to be cooler and more energy efficient as well.  So that's a possibility if you can build yourself.

Otherwise the best value in GPUs is probably buying it with a new computer where you don't pay the huge mark up. Here's just one example but the local Walmart, staples, best buy often have them and an open box special will save more yet.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-0016-06214?Item=9SIAH71DNV6390&Description=nvidia motherboard&cm_re=nvidia_motherboard-_-9SIAH71DNV6390-_-Product

 

Me decidí por estos componentes:

https://www.cyberpuerta.mx/index.php?cl=details&anid=b6619f92b84553fb0134d92f8bcdbf58

https://www.cyberpuerta.mx/index.php?cl=details&anid=3fac79d0063cf824ba6f805ad8500d5c

https://www.cyberpuerta.mx/index.php?cl=details&anid=80c02bb9e54814a1953dd57eb132708c

La tarjeta de video la deje pendiente por el momento :)

Muchisimas gracias por todo y disculpa la tardanza

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks like US dollars but can't be with some of those prices. Right now I can't tell if if you're getting a bargain or if you could do something else instead for better value per dollar spent.

How's your storage?  Are you going to need to increase this as well?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cayars said:

That looks like US dollars but can't be with some of those prices. Right now I can't tell if if you're getting a bargain or if you could do something else instead for better value per dollar spent.

How's your storage?  Are you going to need to increase this as well?

 

Those are mexican pesos.

1 USD = 20.51 Mx Pesos
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The motherboard you choose doesn't have much in the way of PCI lanes or expandability.  I'd not use that if storage will be managed by this server.
I'm not sure how many 16 GB memory chips you were planning on adding but it would have to be 2 and better as 4 so you don't take a speed hit with interleaving on the motherboard.

What kind of file system will you be running and how much storage are you going to need/want?  Depending on the file system (ie ZFS) you will want a minimum of 64 GB and likely 128 GB to start with. That a lot of simultaneous users you would be better off with SAS drives and not SATA as they have much better throughput and are more reliable.

Are you planning on upgrading an existing server or is this a new build?  Is there any existing server?
If you have a budget in mind and can answer some of the questions asked about storage I have some other ideas that would be much better for you then what you're currently looking to buy.

Carlo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, cayars said:

That looks like US dollars but can't be with some of those prices. Right now I can't tell if if you're getting a bargain or if you could do something else instead for better value per dollar spent.

How's your storage?  Are you going to need to increase this as well?

 

Son en pesos mexicanos, una disculpa por no especificar la moneda

para el almacenamiento pende hacer por el momento un RAID1 con el siguiente disco duro (compre 2):

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B08VH8C3WZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pensaba en comprar varios discos de 2T para que no tuviera problema con la lectura pero creo que por el momento me ayusta bien unas 4T

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cayars said:

The motherboard you choose doesn't have much in the way of PCI lanes or expandability.  I'd not use that if storage will be managed by this server.
I'm not sure how many 16 GB memory chips you were planning on adding but it would have to be 2 and better as 4 so you don't take a speed hit with interleaving on the motherboard.

Es correcto con la memoria RAM, de momento solo compre 1 pero a futuro le comprare por lo menos otra

11 hours ago, cayars said:

What kind of file system will you be running and how much storage are you going to need/want?  Depending on the file system (ie ZFS) you will want a minimum of 64 GB and likely 128 GB to start with. That a lot of simultaneous users you would be better off with SAS drives and not SATA as they have much better throughput and are more reliable.

Bueno, realmente en esta parte olvide preguntarte, crei que con un clasico ext4 bastaria, no estoy seguro si el sistema zfs este bien soportado bajo linux, la verdad nunca he usado unidades SAS, realmente no se mucho de como manejarlas

12 hours ago, cayars said:

Are you planning on upgrading an existing server or is this a new build?  Is there any existing server?
If you have a budget in mind and can answer some of the questions asked about storage I have some other ideas that would be much better for you then what you're currently looking to buy.

 

Pues quiero reemplazar el servidor que tengo actualmente, es el que te comente

On 1/9/2022 at 1:22 PM, gorylong said:

Tengo un muy modesto y viejo: "AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core" con una MBB  "Asus m5a78l-m lx" y una RAM "kingston Fury Ddr3 8G 1600 MHz" con unas grafias integradas:  "ATI RS780L [Radeon 3000]". Pensaba actualizar todo el sistema, por eso me preguntaba sobre tarjeta de video y procesador, pensaba comprar una procesador de unos 290USD y una tarjeta de video un poco menos costosa, pero viedo los precios de algunas tarjetas de video no se si sea posible adquirirla

 

Mi plan es reemplazarlo por completo

Y bueno, cualquier idea que tengas en mente es bienbenida!! espero tus comentarios

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me ask for two numbers in US $.

First, what is the comfortable amount you plan to spend in total for this upgrade?
Second, what's you max upper limit you would spend?

The idea is to try and stay as close as possible to the first number with "options" that may get closer to the 2nd number (if needed).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...