Does Emby timeout on the Shield or Fire TV if audio/video is paused?

Gilgamesh_48
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Gilgamesh_48

My question is pretty simple: Does Emby timeout on the Shield or Fire TV if audio/video is paused for a long time.
I am trying to find a way to use Emby for audiobooks. One use case I have is that I listen for a while, say just before bedtime, and then pause the stream and the go to sleep. 6 to 8 hours later, when I wake up, I would like to just unpause and then listen.

I like the Roku but Roku has a rule that requires that an app exit after a time, something less than 2 hours. I am wondering if either the Shield or Fire TV or another client does not timeout like that.

I currently have a solution (Mediamokey on a computer) that works but I would prefer to do it in Emby using one of the Emby clients.

I also have an Apple TV box that would be usable if it worked for this. I almost never use that box, since there is a Spectrum app for the Roku now.,  it works well but I do not like the Emby app on that device. Also I believe that Apple is Satan's span and I try my hardest to avoid having anything Apple that I am not forced to use.

Thanks for any advice. As I said I have a decent solution but I would kind of like to be able to use one of the Emby clients. (Roku, Shield, Fire or another Android device.

• Solution

Hi.  The audio player (which is what is used for audio books) does not time out when paused.

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The audio player (which is what is used for audio books) does not time out when paused.

Thank you!

Were you speaking for all platforms or just Android? That is have you figured out a way to override Roku's exit after a long period of inactivity? I do not expect that you have but I cannot keep up with every change. Roku may have even relaxed their rule but, given the resistance Roku showed when I asked them some time ago I doubt they would relax any of their rules for any reason. But "hope springs eternal."

I will be trying again to make audiobooks work correctly on one app or another but my only real chance, I think, is on my Shield.
Does resume work well in the Emby Android app as well? I "like" my current setup but it would be, maybe, a bit better if I could retire the computer I use for MediaMonkey. I know it would make for easier maintenance.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

31 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

have you figured out a way to override Roku's exit after a long period of inactivity?

No.  If the Roku OS shuts us down there is nothing the app can do about it.

32 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I will be trying again to make audiobooks work correctly on one app or another but my only real chance, I think, is on my Shield.

Have you tried your phone?  Seems that would work best.  I assume it is right beside you while in bed...

Gilgamesh_48
13 minutes ago, ebr said:

No.  If the Roku OS shuts us down there is nothing the app can do about it.

Have you tried your phone?  Seems that would work best.  I assume it is right beside you while in bed...

I thought that was the case. Roku marches to their own drummer which, for the last several years, is well out of beat with most every other drummer there is. They still produce the easiest streaming platform to use and one the most reliable but their limitations and self imposed poor choices are causing them to fall back to the rest of the flock. They have flocked up a lot of what had made them so good.

I do not really want to use my phone or even one of my tablets but it is a pretty good suggestion none the less. I have tested and I can hook up multiple keyboards and remote controls so that I have several ways to pause/unpause scattered around my home. I also want/need to be able to pause/unpause from almost everywhere in my home. And, no, I do not have my phone with me beside my bed. I do not want to even think about "phone" when I am trying to sleep.

I also have an old Fire TV device that might serve but it is about as old as a Fire device can be (it was bought back when Amazon introduced Fire devices) and I have not tested it for any use lately. My Fire 4K stick is really unsuited for my needs for audiobooks.

One more thing: Is it easy to set up a Shield TV device for voice control via Alexa? It was a bit convoluted but I can start/stop playback on my computer using an app called "AssistentComputerControl." It works well but it is designed only for Roku and, if i switch, I would miss that level of control.

I wonder how many Bluetooth devices, like keyboards and remote controls, can work at one time on the Shield.I can find that out through testing but my health problems tired me out with only short periods of concentrated activities even if I do not have to move much.

My suggestion to all is don't get old. It is very tiring to be an old man  with a deteriorating body and a still active mind.

Again thanks for the help and suggestions.