Getting "Unable to connect" message using voice commands

zBernie
Go to solution Solved by zBernie,

zBernie

I just manually updated Emby on Synology NAS to 4.6.7.0.  Now when using Alexa I say "Open Emby home" and try to play a song or album or playlist, I get an access denied error like the one shown below from embyserver.txt.  Can someone tell me how to set Emby permissions in Synology DSM 7 for the emby to mitigate this error?

-Thanks

"System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Media Library/Music Library Bernie/Dixie Dregs/What If/01 - Take It Off The Top.mp3' is denied."

Edited by zBernie

Hi, you might want to take down that image as it has you IP address and port number in it.
I just tried to connect to it to see if I get a login page or not and I did not.

That would likely be why you're having this issue.

If you look at the remote access link on the dashboard and then open a browser and go to www.canyouseeme.org does it show the same IP address?  While there run a connection test to 8096.  Did it fail?

If so you know where to start looking.  I would login to your home router and check to see what IP you're forwarding 8096 traffic to.  Then check the NAS to make sure the IP didn't change.
If you recently did the upgrade to DSM 7 and migrated Emby you may need to review a few things as DSM updates change some core settings back to defaults.

So if you did anything previously with proxies or the Application manager for example those settings might be gone now.

Try checking just the info mentioned and let us know what you find. Depending on outcome we can give you additional things to check or if you like I can remote in and give you hand trying to figure this out.

Carlo

zBernie
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, you might want to take down that image as it has you IP address and port number in it.
I just tried to connect to it to see if I get a login page or not and I did not.

If you look at the remote access link on the dashboard and then open a browser and go to www.canyouseeme.org does it show the same IP address?  While there run a connection test to 8096.  Did it fail?

If so you know where to start looking.  I would login to your home router and check to see what IP you're forwarding 8096 traffic to.  Then check the NAS to make sure the IP didn't change.
If you recently did the upgrade to DSM 7 and migrated Emby you may need to review a few things as DSM updates change some core settings back to defaults.

So if you did anything previously with proxies or the Application manager for example those settings might be gone now.

Try checking just the info mentioned and let us know what you find. Depending on outcome we can give you additional things to check or if you like I can remote in and give you hand trying to figure this out.

Carlo

You would not be able to access the 10.99.1.x IP address as it is on my LAN behind the firewall.  I've gone over most of the items you mentioned and still no joy.  I'll keep digging...

Happy2Play
18 hours ago, zBernie said:

Can someone tell me how to set Emby permissions in Synology DSM 7 for the emby to mitigate this error?

Did you set "Internal User" permissions on your shares?

permissions.jpg

zBernie
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

permissions.jpg

Yes, I did that when migrating to DSM 7, and I just did it again for good measure.  I believe I just found the problem; there is no problem playing my wife's music, only my music files.  You can see the difference in directory permissions below.  I just tried fixing it with a chmod --reference='Music Library Karen', but that did not work properly.  This might be a Synology advanced permissions issue.   Thanks, and I'll keep you posted...

drw---S---  171 bernie users 4096 Sep 30 18:51 'Music Library Bernie'
drwx--S---+  93 bernie users 4096 Sep 30 18:52 'Music Library Karen/'

• Solution
zBernie
30 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Problem solved.  I used the Synology File Station, right clicked on 'Music Library Bernie', and added the emby user, and changed the permissions as shown below.  You can see they now match Karen's permissions now.  It works now using Alexa voice commands and selection the "Play on another device" button in the web interface.  Not sure how the perms changed, I may have fiddled with it a while back and just discovered the issue recently.

-Thanks

image.png.6c59989e61d7fda8529df86e99a03b3a.png

image.png.bfb17122732b711263543d1ac6ea2afa.png

zBernie
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Carlo

Problem solved.  See my response to Happy2Play.

-Thanks