On screed guide problems while watching Live TV

2BTSquared

2BTSquared

First, just want to give props to the Emby folks. Compared to my experience with Plex, Emby has been a breath of fresh air. Fundamentally, Emby works and it works well - at least for how I use it. 

However, I got an nit with how the on screen guide works when watching a Live TV program. The problem is when selecting an item of interest in the guide to get information on the show. The Android phone and Android TV apps work well with this. On the Android phone app you can simply click on the program of interest and get the program synopsis (and options to record etc.) all while the current live program continues playing in the back ground. Click on the back arrow and you jump back out of the synopsis window and are taken back to the on screen guide with the current live TV program still playing in the backgroud. Click the down arrow and the on screen guide goes away. This all works just as one would expect. This makes browsing for a potential new show - while keeping the current show playing in the background - a breeze. 

Emby Theatre doesn't handle this operation at all. If you click on an item in the on screen guide to see the show's synopsis, the current live TV program stops playing. You do get taken to the synopsis window where you can chose to watch the new program of interest, record it, or back out (back arrow). If you chose to back out, you are taken back to the on screen guide, with nothing going on in the back ground. If you want to go back to the original live TV program that you were watching before you started playing around with the guide, you'll have to scroll back to it in the guide, select it, and start watching it anew. Unless you are certain you are finished watching the current playing program, you should avoid clicking on any other program listed in the on screen guide, otherwise irritation will be the result. Shouldn't Emby Theatre work similar to the Android phone or Android TV apps? This would seem to me to be the expected behavior.