No Subtitles will display, Ever, in the Samsung smart TV App.

MinnieMin

MinnieMin

I just wanted to add a final THANK YOU to all of you here who got involved and tried to help with this.
I understand it is a problem that is beyond any of our control, in that Samsung hold the position that they do as far as older model TVs goes.
(I do have a lingering question to bug you with too hehehe)

Oh well! I did notice that if I go into the settings during a video playback, and choose transcoding then change the subtitle selection to SubRip it seems that most times, it actually encodes and burns them in to the video THUS! Giving me subtitles instantly on my film! It saves me awaiting a whole re-encoding session via Handbrake or similar - which is my usual route in this kind of situation.

Is there a setting option anywhere to say that all subtitle files are to trigger transcoding?
Or am I doing the best method already by starting the video playback then going to the cog wheel for settings then changing the Auto to something else, say 720p - 3Mb(If that is similar to the original file quality level) and then hoping that the subtitles will then be burned in?  The reason I ask is that it is not working 100% of the time. Sometimes I will do the above and although I see the spinning do-nut indicating the transcoding is underway, the subtitles still don't appear. then I go into the subtitle settings by clicking the CC icon and I select anything..Subrip, SRT, whatever (Of course if there is already an image based subtitles option then I would have that selected because it ALWAYS triggers a transcode and so there's no need for any messing about like this) so I choose one and watch the result. The result can often be a sudden appearance of the spinning do-nut and then hooray the subtitles appear from then on,. or, not much happens and no subtitles. I can eventually get them to appear by trying different combinations of changing the transcoding level and changing the subtitle selection or just changing the subtitle from on to off to on again. If the spinning do-nut appears for a few seconds after my changing of the subtitles options in any way then it is usually because it has worked and the subtitles are now displaying!
So I suppose I am asking is there a way to enforce them to try to display via a transcode every time a subtitle file is found to be there, instead of all of this messing about!?
Apologies for the novella here. I really can go on a bit, sorry!.

One other question!
Do any of you know of a script I can feed into a video editing software that will call ffmpeg or similar and get it to burn in a subtitle file without there being any or much input from me at all except to just select the files or the directory?

Thanks in advance.

FrostByte
13 hours ago, dmtg said:

i have the same problem not show subtitles srt in my samsung

What version Samsung app are you running and what is your TV model?  There are two of these subtitle threads.  This thread is about TVs running Orsay OS, and there is another thread for TVs running Tizen which Luke moved to the server section of the forum.

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

What version Samsung app are you running and what is your TV model?  There are two of these subtitle threads.  This thread is about TVs running Orsay OS, and there is another thread for TVs running Tizen which Luke moved to the server section of the forum.

hmm it is Tizen. can you share the link for the thread, please?

FrostByte
7 minutes ago, Bsoner said:

hmm it is Tizen. can you share the link for the thread, please?

Here you go.  For some reason Luke moved it to beta server section so he must think its server related even though all my other clients display SRT correctly.