No Subtitles will display, Ever, in the Samsung smart TV App.

MinnieMin

MinnieMin

As the title states, I can not get subtitles to appear on my Samsung TV Emby app!

They DO work when I select subtitles in the Emby for android app and also in the web browser GUI.

To clarify, this includes ALL formats of subtitles, whether embedded or a separate subtitle file with the exact same name ass the video and sitting in the same folder as the video file.  It seems that when I change the subtitle setting in the Emby Samsung TV App, it literally does absolutely NOTHING.

Can anyone help me?

Is this possibly something to do with my TV?

By the way, Plex always displays SRT and other text subtitles and also will happily transcode image based and others. ( I just want to change from Plex for other reasons but that is a whole other story..!)

Hello MinnieMin,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ok, I'm seeing the same thing

v1.1.09

server 4.7.0.19

Samsung Q8FN

Even when the default/forced subtitle is automatically selected nothing shows.  Tried turning off/on during playback and still get nothing.

Edited by FrostByte
typo

8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Ok, I'm seeing the same thing

v1.1.09

server 4.7.0.9

Samsung Q8FN

Even when the default/forced subtitle is automatically selected nothing shows.  Tried turning off/on during playback and still get nothing.

From a quick test seems to be OK here, but if you're stuck on an older beta server then I suppose all bets are off.

8 hours ago, MinnieMin said:

As the title states, I can not get subtitles to appear on my Samsung TV Emby app!

They DO work when I select subtitles in the Emby for android app and also in the web browser GUI.

To clarify, this includes ALL formats of subtitles, whether embedded or a separate subtitle file with the exact same name ass the video and sitting in the same folder as the video file.  It seems that when I change the subtitle setting in the Emby Samsung TV App, it literally does absolutely NOTHING.

Can anyone help me?

Is this possibly something to do with my TV?

By the way, Plex always displays SRT and other text subtitles and also will happily transcode image based and others. ( I just want to change from Plex for other reasons but that is a whole other story..!)

HI @MinnieMin can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• Like 1

FrostByte
3 hours ago, Luke said:

From a quick test seems to be OK here, but if you're stuck on an older beta server then I suppose all bets are off.

That was a typo, the 4.7.0.9 should have read 4.7.0.19 server version

FrostByte

Ok, since the OP never returned, I'll go ahead and post the information requested

Subtitles are not working.  It appears to grab the correct subtitle, but then it looks like it's trying to convert to ass or something and then exits

Works fine in web client and Android app

Server log

https://pastebin.com/MLRnfjLU

witcher2.jpg.a19c4d42a63bf32499a32da873049ac2.jpg

MinnieMin

Hey hang on have a little patience please!!!

I am very sick (I have an ongoing debilitating illness which is difficult to manage some days. It just so happens that [by some crap coincidence] my condition deteriorated the day I wrote my post here and has continued to do so ever since.) and well, it is also a bit of a busy time of year in our house so I am sorry but can you please bear with me.

Apologies, and Thanks

I do have some news:

The strangest thing happened last night. I put a video on that had an embedded sub that I did not need and lo and behold...

it displayed it!

After that I went and checked and yes, I have so far tested ASS and SUB files and they are displaying on and off as they should. I will test all types today and try to do what it is you asked of me OK.

MinnieMin
On 16/12/2021 at 00:33, FrostByte said:

Which version of the app are you using, and what model TV?

I'll see if I can duplicate this

The server is showing:

Emby Server 4.6.7

The TV is showing me:
Samsung SmartTV (UE55HU7200)

I just realised that, of course, as the problem is no longer showing itself this could be a bit of a waste of time as there really is nothing to report any more. I thought that it will still be helpful for you to know which versions caused it to happen in the first place but as for fixing the problem now, there is no longer a problem.

Let me have a thorough play around on the TV this morning and really make sure the problem is gone or see if it can happen again.

Thank you!

Edited by MinnieMin

FrostByte
3 hours ago, MinnieMin said:

The server is showing:

Emby Server 4.6.7

The TV is showing me:
Samsung SmartTV (UE55HU7200)

I just realised that, of course, as the problem is no longer showing itself this could be a bit of a waste of time as there really is nothing to report any more. I thought that it will still be helpful for you to know which versions caused it to happen in the first place but as for fixing the problem now, there is no longer a problem.

Let me have a thorough play around on the TV this morning and really make sure the problem is gone or see if it can happen again.

Thank you!

Which client app version are you using?  4.6.7 is the server version. 

If you reproduce the error, please post the server log for the time the error happened

Thanks

Edited by FrostByte

MinnieMin

I am so sorry folks but can someone help me out here with getting the correct log file so I can post the info for you to see?  I include a screenshot of the log file directory in windows and hope you can at least tell me which of these text files is relevant.  I opened the one named embyserver.txt but to be honest when I opened it and searched for the movie title that I had been playing to give an example of the subtitles working, it didn't seem to show the relevant stuff.

In the meantime, let me update you on the issue.

Right, the issue as originally described is STILL an issue.  How can that be I hear you ask, especially as I have already since claimed that subs are now working. Well only some format of subtitles will work. Let me clarify:

SRT simply refuse to work.

Mov_txt will not work

ASS will not work

DVDSUB works every time

It appears that when the subtitle is of a format that emby expects the TV to handle directly something goes wrong and they do not show.
On the other hand, when it is subtitles that the TV requires the server to burn in  then that goes well and the burned in subs display as they should.
So if I want to see subtitles it always seems to work if they come in one of the image formats: VobSub, PGS etc..

That is my theory and I am in no doubt the log will show this in some way if someone can just help me out with that..?
Thanks again.

2021-12-21 17_39_06-C__Users_Pauliver_AppData_Roaming_Emby-Server_programdata_logs.png

Edited by MinnieMin

MinnieMin
On 20/12/2021 at 12:39, FrostByte said:

Which client app version are you using?  4.6.7 is the server version. 

If you reproduce the error, please post the server log for the time the error happened

Thanks

I still haven't figured out how to get the right log but I found the following info on my TV for the Client version you asked for:

Version: 0.122 (0.122 Installed)   (Updated 2018-10-11)

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, MinnieMin said:

I am so sorry folks but can someone help me out here with getting the correct log file so I can post the info for you to see?

Hey up, 

as per above link:

Media Playback Issues

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.

Attach embyserver.txt and ffmpeg-transcode.txt.

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, MinnieMin said:

I still haven't figured out how to get the right log but I found the following info on my TV for the Client version you asked for:

Version: 0.122 (0.122 Installed)   (Updated 2018-10-11)

Okay, I sort of figured you were running the legacy OS Orsay when you said you had a 2014 TV (for Tizen you would need an Evolution Kit).  I'm not sure there is much Luke can do as Samsung is no longer accepting updates for sets older than 2017 unless it's a server issue, but we'll see.

I'm probably going to start my own thread since I can't get SRT to work now either with the latest Tizen release.

• Like 1

MinnieMin
29 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Hey up, 

as per above link:

Attach embyserver.txt and ffmpeg-transcode.txt.

Aah it is that simple, OK thank you. Sometimes I presume things are more complex than they are.

I just tried playing a movie file with DVDSUB and as I said, those kinds of subtitles work ok.  I then tried a couple of movie files with SRT so I hope it also shows that they did not work.
thanks again.

ffmpeg-transcode-3e227fb2-01e1-4643-8089-dba60034a1a6_1.txt embyserver.txt

FrostByte

I'm seeing the same messages in your logs that I'm seeing in the Tizen app as far as the SRT subs,

Edited by FrostByte
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MinnieMin said:

Aah it is that simple, OK thank you. Sometimes I presume things are more complex than they are.

I just tried playing a movie file with DVDSUB and as I said, those kinds of subtitles work ok.  I then tried a couple of movie files with SRT so I hope it also shows that they did not work.
thanks again.

ffmpeg-transcode-3e227fb2-01e1-4643-8089-dba60034a1a6_1.txt 170.57 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 1.61 MB · 1 download

2 hours ago, MinnieMin said:

thanks again.

ffmpeg-transcode-3e227fb2-01e1-4643-8089-dba60034a1a6_1.txt 170.57 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 1.61 MB · 1 download

Hi, this is actually a dvdsub example. Can we look at an srt example? Thanks.

MinnieMin
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, this is actually a dvdsub example. Can we look at an srt example? Thanks.

Hmm, I am sorry Luke.

What I actually did was play the dvdsub file first and then immediately after it stops I started another file with srt s7bs enabled. Then after about 25 seconds or so of that file I started a third file which also contained SRT subtitles and those were enabled also.

Are you saying there is ho evidence of these last two srt files being played in the log file?

So the first file shows in the log but not the second or third file, both having srt subs?

ok, i will clear the log and only play a video with srt subs.

Thanks.

• Like 1

MinnieMin

OK this is a Kurosawa film, and it has SRT subtitles.

I played it for a few minutes with subs enabled. They did not show of course.

I removed the transcoding log in order for a new one to be created. The thing is...unless I choose a file with image subs no transcoding log is created!
I uploaded the server log though and will now play a dvdsub file to get the transcoding log created again and then play the srt file just to see if it writes anything to that log.

embyserver.txt

Edited by MinnieMin