Transcoding when playback set to auto

Ninko

Hi,

When playing videos on Roku over the internet it tends to transcode because bitrate is too high even though the connection can handle such a bitrate.

I've tested this by changing the playback setting in the Roku app to the max and it plays fine without transcoding, but as soon as you go back to auto it starts transcoding again.

I don't know how the Roku app 'detects' the connection speed, but it doesn't seem to do it very well.

Thanks

GrimReaper

There is number of topics across multiple client apps with Auto being too conservative - your best bet would be to set a fixed numerical value higher up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
Ninko

No, that was the only person using the server at the time.

As I'm not with said user currently, I can't do that, but when I'm there next I will.

15 hours ago, Ninko said:

No, that was the only person using the server at the time.

But the server could have been busy doing something else.  If you remove Playback Reporting, Statistics and the Web hooks plug-ins, does this problem still occur?

Ninko

Trust me, this happens EVERY time a ROKU user plays something from the internet, try it if your don't believe me!

No other platform user has this problem!

12 minutes ago, Ninko said:

try it if your don't believe me!

Hi.  I do it all the time and do not get that kind of limited bitrate.  Can you try removing the plug-ins I suggested as a test?

Ninko

Ok I've uninstalled those 3 plugins, I'll get back to you when a Roku user plays something.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Ninko

Sadly no, he can only just about understand how to navigate Emby in a normal setting, I will have to do it when I'm there next.

I'm assuming you can't figure out what's happening from the server side?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Ninko said:

I'm assuming you can't figure out what's happening from the server side?

From the server side, it looks like there shouldn't be a problem.  I can see the bitrate test and it is returning very quickly so I want to see the app side to try and figure out why it is calculating such a low value.

Ninko

Ok, I'll let you know when I have sent it.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ninko

I tried to send a log from the Roku app, but after enabling the Debug Options and restarting the app as requested, there was no option anywhere to send the log. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Happy2Play

Don't know how things are calculated but per the logs the client is reporting low capabilities values.

&VideoBitrate=381960&AudioBitrate=128000

&VideoBitrate=69409&AudioBitrate=128000

Speed tests are good in all but truly do not show a connection speed between you and them or if ISPs are throttling/traffic shaping.

I have my Roku users adjust their app playback quality to a set value then if needed I throttle user per user "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" setting.

But as mentioned Auto will always be extremely conservative.

neik
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But as mentioned Auto will always be extremely conservative.

Conservative is a nice way to describe a problem known for years.

I am sitting here on a 350Mbit line and still get SD stuff transcoded from 2,5Mbit to 1/1,5Mbit.
If this is the accuracy of the auto feature then it is simply useless, sorry.

And no it is not my connection to my server, I can saturate my line using SFTP/SSH and as soon as I set the bandwith manually to 50Mbit or so I can even watch 4K stuff just fine.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ninko said:

I tried to send a log from the Roku app, but after enabling the Debug Options and restarting the app as requested, there was no option anywhere to send the log. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi.  It is under your user menu at the top of the home screen.  Click on your user icon/name.

• 2 weeks later...
Ninko

I sent that log at about 16:00 BST, the user that was logged in at the time was, Steve

43 minutes ago, Ninko said:

I sent that log at about 16:00 BST, the user that was logged in at the time was, Steve

Today?