Jump to content

Audio Level: why so low?


sonusfaber
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 12/18/2021 at 4:18 AM, sonusfaber said:

Well... after tested several setup (Emby Android TV, Emby std, Kodi, Plex, with movies and music only files...), I have the proof that the audio is very very low only when watching movies with Emby while listening to music with Emby is perfect.

How can I understand that it happens only during transcoding?

Thanks

EDIT: installed Emby on my Android Sony phone: same thing... audio very very low compared to Kodi.
It means that even setting the volume to the maximum allowed, it is still lot enough

 

Can we please look at an example from the Emby android app? 

The example you provided is from the Chrome browser. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sonusfaber said:

Do you mean I need to post the Emby log when I play the movie from Android?

That would be great, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this is transcoding DTS to AC3 - the ffmpeg configuration doing this is below 

-c:a:0 ac3 -ab:a:0 384000 -ar:a:0 48000 -ac:a:0 6

If you have the 'Diagnostic Options' plugin loaded - then you can substitute parameters in the actual ffmpeg command line to try and solve the issue.

in the 'Parameter Adjustment' section - copy the above into 'Text to Replace'

in the Replacement text use :-

-c:a:0 ac3 -ac:a:0 2

This tells ffmpeg to use AC3 but remux to Stereo only and use the default AC3 bitrate and sampling frequency.

This will actually work for ALL files that are being transcoded  (DTS > AC3) not just this example.

If this plays at the correct level - then we know it's something to do with the ffmpeg conversion - likely the mapping of the channels if the Stereo version works ok.

 

Edited by rbjtech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
sonusfaber

OK. Back from winter holiday yesterday.

Unfortunately I am not able to install the plugin. it says "installation failed" and, after that, Emby was no more running correctly, refusing me to connect.

xxxxxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo service emby-server status
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Sun 2022-01-09 23:25:38 UTC; 48min left
    Process: 813 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
   Main PID: 813 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]: Unhandled exception. System.IO.IOException: No space left on device
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at System.IO.FileStream.WriteNative(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWriteBuffer()
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at System.IO.FileStream.FlushInternalBuffer()
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at System.IO.FileStream.Flush(Boolean flushToDisk)
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at Emby.Server.Implementations.Logging.FileLogger.Dispose()
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at Emby.Server.Implementations.Logging.SimpleLogManager.Dispose()
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby emby-server[813]:    at EmbyServer.Program.Main(String[] args)
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
Jan 09 23:25:38 ubuntu-emby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

Unhandled exception. System.IO.IOException: No space left on device

This somewhat says it all.  Wild guess would be a full transcode-temp folder.  But really has nothing to do with this existing topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sonusfaber
Posted (edited)

I know... 🙂

How can I investigate this issue, since the used space is only 23% of the total ?

This Ubuntu setup was running fine since lot of days, without any failure. I just selected the plugin, hit install and... failed. Now Emby does not start anymore.

Edited by sonusfaber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

I know... 🙂

How can I investigate this issue, since the used space is only 23% of the total ?

This Ubuntu setup was running fine since lot of days, without any failure. I just selected the plugin, hit install and... failed. Now Emby does not start anymore.

Is there content in this folder? 

/var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp

If so if you empty that folder does Emby start?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sonusfaber

yes,

I deleted everything and now it runs again

I made a mistake during setup... I need more space.

What is the suggested disk size for Emby on Ubuntu?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, sonusfaber said:

What is the suggested disk size for Emby on Ubuntu?

Impossible to say.

Keep the metadata with the media, then I'd say 10-20Gb for a large collection (30k episodes/films) - make sure you set the metadata setting during the library setup or you may run into this issue again.

Edited by rbjtech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, sonusfaber said:

yes,

I deleted everything and now it runs again

I made a mistake during setup... I need more space.

What is the suggested disk size for Emby on Ubuntu?

Sorry what does deleted everything mean?

But everyone's setup, collection of media and setting are different, so it is impossible to say on required disk space.  But remember all transcoding will pretty much require the original files size in space, but assuming everything is done correctly Emby should delete that session upon playback stop.  If the session is not cleaned up you will have to manually clear out the transcode-temp folder or Restarting Emby should clear the folder also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sonusfaber
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry what does deleted everything mean?

i deleted all the content of the transcoding-temp folder, then Emby was able to restart again. Emby should anyway delete these files when starting, or not?

Anyway... then I deleted the virtual machine and rebuilt the server from scratch with more space. It was my fault, because yes... the disk was large enough ( 64 GB ) but Ubuntu setup automatically configured the LVM with less space than the available and I did not put my attention on it. Sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sonusfaber said:

i deleted all the content of the transcoding-temp folder, then Emby was able to restart again. Emby should anyway delete these files when starting, or not?

 

It does on server startup as well as when transcoding jobs end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sonusfaber
On 12/29/2021 at 7:31 PM, Luke said:

 

On 12/28/2021 at 1:50 PM, rbjtech said:

If you have the 'Diagnostic Options' plugin loaded - then you can substitute parameters

OK, I performed the test. Sorry but I was travelling during my winter vacation...
No improvement at all... the audio level still remains the same

BUT....

in the transcoding option there is the opportunity to tell to ffmepg to boost audio when downmixing, from 0.5 to 3.0. Even at 3.0 the level is still too low compared to Kodi or other programs. If it put anything more than 3.0 then it is reverted to 3.0
So I went to the emby config on the linux filesystem and forced a value larger than 3.0... no result... seems that it is oveeride

So... i put in the text to replace "volume=3" and to be replaced with "volume=6" and it works!!!!!

Luke... why one can not put anything bigger than 3.0 in the audio boost? Let us to use the value we prefer.

Why not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea I guess we can look at allowing higher values. Thanks for the update.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sonusfaber

Did you ever try what I suggested back in Dec ? (see below)

Also - If you can provide the log of the Audio transcode with the Audio Boost, you should be able to update the boost number used in the ffmpeg filter by using the text substitution using the same method.

 

On 28/12/2021 at 12:50, rbjtech said:

So this is transcoding DTS to AC3 - the ffmpeg configuration doing this is below 

-c:a:0 ac3 -ab:a:0 384000 -ar:a:0 48000 -ac:a:0 6

If you have the 'Diagnostic Options' plugin loaded - then you can substitute parameters in the actual ffmpeg command line to try and solve the issue.

in the 'Parameter Adjustment' section - copy the above into 'Text to Replace'

in the Replacement text use :-

-c:a:0 ac3 -ac:a:0 2

This tells ffmpeg to use AC3 but remux to Stereo only and use the default AC3 bitrate and sampling frequency.

This will actually work for ALL files that are being transcoded  (DTS > AC3) not just this example.

If this plays at the correct level - then we know it's something to do with the ffmpeg conversion - likely the mapping of the channels if the Stereo version works ok.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sonusfaber
10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Did you ever try what I suggested back in Dec ? (see below)

Yes... if you go back two messages... I did the test yesterday, since I was away for vacation and I would like to make the test at home in the same conditions as before.

 

10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

you should be able to update the boost number used in the ffmpeg filter by using the text substitution using the same method.

Yes I also did this test...
1) the transcode default accepts only values from 0.5 to 3.0. Inserting anything bigger than 3.0 will not be accepted
2) I modified the config directly on the filesystem bypassing the web interface ( /var/lib/emby/config) replacing 3.0 with something bigger... no improvements, since it seems to be reverted to 3.0
3) finally I used the text replacement: "volume=3" replaced with"volume=6" and it is perfect. it works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
SJAnderson
On 1/13/2022 at 4:32 AM, sonusfaber said:

Yes... if you go back two messages... I did the test yesterday, since I was away for vacation and I would like to make the test at home in the same conditions as before.

 

Yes I also did this test...
1) the transcode default accepts only values from 0.5 to 3.0. Inserting anything bigger than 3.0 will not be accepted
2) I modified the config directly on the filesystem bypassing the web interface ( /var/lib/emby/config) replacing 3.0 with something bigger... no improvements, since it seems to be reverted to 3.0
3) finally I used the text replacement: "volume=3" replaced with"volume=6" and it is perfect. it works

Having the same issue. Brand new user and need some guidance / help on where exactly and how one accomplishes the text replacement: "volume=3" replaced with"volume=6" referenced above. Running on Qnap NAS running QTS.

Edited by SJAnderson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, SJAnderson said:

Having the same issue. Brand new user and need some guidance / help on where exactly and how one accomplishes the text replacement: "volume=3" replaced with"volume=6" referenced above. Running on Qnap NAS running QTS.

The method is with the Diagnostics Plugin in the Parameter Adjustment section. 

Those options are intended to help investigating problems and should only be set when requested by Emby staff.
None of those are intended to fix a problem for regular Emby operation.
Settings made here will not be saved. They won't survive a server restart and might be automatically reset after some time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SJAnderson
32 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The method is with the Diagnostics Plugin in the Parameter Adjustment section. 

Those options are intended to help investigating problems and should only be set when requested by Emby staff.
None of those are intended to fix a problem for regular Emby operation.
Settings made here will not be saved. They won't survive a server restart and might be automatically reset after some time.

 

Thanks - confirming the parameter change will revert to default setting following server restart. Seems like a good place to experiment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
elche27

Hello to all!!
Having the same issue.
Brand new user and need some guidance / help on where exactly and how one accomplishes the text replacement: "volume=3" replaced with"volume=6" referenced above??

Best Regards!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, elche27 said:

Hello to all!!
Having the same issue.
Brand new user and need some guidance / help on where exactly and how one accomplishes the text replacement: "volume=3" replaced with"volume=6" referenced above??

Best Regards!!

This is an option in the Diagnostics plugin found in the catalog.

Note these options are for testing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...