Jump to content

Recommended TV for best native Emby Client


EmbyKiwi
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, EmbyKiwi said:

If you have 6 TVs and growing then perhaps there is another 'conversation' you should be having with someone! 🙂

Four kids.....and I need a retreat in my office to work on adding and managing content to emby in the late evenings and I need white noise to concentrate...plus having a Fire OS TV in the office lets me check things in emby while remaining at my desk.

I am about to knock down my garage and build a much bigger one with a carport and apartment above.  My folks are getting into their mid 80's and I don't want them in a managed care facility so in a few years then can live in the main house as it has a downstairs and upstairs master....and the woman and I will go to the apartment....no parents, no kids....WIN-WIN!  Plus I will have a TV in the new shop since I will be out there all the time working on classic cars so I can either have on movies or my 6000 CD music collection.

Back on topic.....the Firestick basic works in NZ, but I can't see why the Fire OS would not work for emby since it is not a streaming service....that is if you can even buy these TVs in NZ.  Hop on Amazon and find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like an awesome setup! 🙂 I especially like the bit about building a bigger garage for more classic cars!  

I'm sure the Fire OS itself will be fine in NZ, it's more whether the TVs are available in NZ and whether they support the correct version of DVB-T etc for NZ broadcast TV... not that we watch that very often. If it's not brought into NZ then it's also unlikely that the local companies will support it such as the main cable Operator with their 'Sky Sport Now' app. If not then you get back to needing a separate device for those.  Definitely worth some investigation though so thanks for the comments. 🙂 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for the feedback and comments!. Some options weren't easily available in NZ so I ended up with a Sony A80J 65" 4K OLED running Google TV. Despite the theoretical similarities to the 65" 4K TCL running Android TV, the performance of the OS  and general interface is night and day. Starts up in a couple of seconds, is immediately ready to go and moving around the interface is very snappy. Emby works really well and is again noticeably snappier than before. I haven't had a chance to play with all the audio / video formats yet but I'm definitely not as much of a guru about those sorts of things as many on here so I'll probably just have a bit of a play with the picture settings to get the mode I like the best and then sit back and enjoy my media! 🙂 

Cheers

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
mike2k20

I have a Sony Bravia XBR-65X900F, which has Android TV built into it.  Its a good TV, but there is a pain in the ass issue with it when using Emby.

With some video content when using Emby on it, you will get flashing lines at the bottom of the picture.  Doesn't happen to all video, just some.  I think it may be related to the height of the image.  Googling this shows that many Bravia users are plagued by this, and there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere.

I've recently tried the same video content with a Mi Box S running Emby and there are no issues, so I made the conclusion that there is a bug in the Android TV software in the Sony Bravia.  Posted in there forum and did an online chat, kind of got the run around on it, so I doubt there will be any investigation by Sony any time soon.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Orionas21
On 12/5/2021 at 3:55 AM, EmbyKiwi said:

Thanks to all for the feedback and comments!. Some options weren't easily available in NZ so I ended up with a Sony A80J 65" 4K OLED running Google TV. Despite the theoretical similarities to the 65" 4K TCL running Android TV, the performance of the OS  and general interface is night and day. Starts up in a couple of seconds, is immediately ready to go and moving around the interface is very snappy. Emby works really well and is again noticeably snappier than before. I haven't had a chance to play with all the audio / video formats yet but I'm definitely not as much of a guru about those sorts of things as many on here so I'll probably just have a bit of a play with the picture settings to get the mode I like the best and then sit back and enjoy my media! 🙂 

Cheers

 

Hi EmbyKiwi.

I'm going to purchase the same TV since the new firmware of the TV now supports VRR and ALLM. I was between Sony A80J and LG C1 because i want it also for gaming (xbox one X and PS 5), but i was really angry with LG because it dropped DTS, removed USB 3 and the pass through is working only for AC-3 via the eARC for the native player that Emby is using.

After many months that you used it with Emby are you satisfied? Did you observe any issue?

Also did you manage to play DTS-HD and ATMOS ?

Thanks in advanced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EmbyKiwi

Hi Orionas21

Still very satisfied with the Sony. Unfortunately I don't have a serious enough receiver and speaker setup to do DTS-HD or Atmos so I can't really comment on those. I've just got a basic 5.1 connected via ARC and generally it works well, enough to scare the neighbours! 🙂 

I have occasionally run into a situation where I skip over the opening credits of a TV show and the sound disappears for that playback. Other shows play fine and other services (eg Netflix play fine) . Closing Emby and coming back in doesn't fix it either but turning the TV off and back on solves it. Fortunately the Sony turns off and back on very quickly so not a big deal. Not sure whether this is a Sony TV quirk or an Emby one but it only happens very infrequently and seemingly more often with H.265 files. I generally use H.264 versions as more devices can watch them without needing transcoding on the server so pretty infrequent. I only mention it as this is probably the only slightly annoying thing I've found so far. Everything else I use just works and, also, the app support is very good. Any time a new app comes out for sport or another streaming service it always seems to be available for Android TV/Google TV in the first round. 

Happy viewing on whatever you go with! 🙂

Cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rooser11
Posted (edited)

Does Emby on Sony TV support DV? 

I have X900F which has archaic CPU and it did not seem to work. 

Also, do we know if DTS passthrough has been fixed on Sony TV?  Some firmwares have introduced this bug where Emby does not think Sony TV support DTS when it does.  

Lastly, do we know if video playback is in 4K 24fps and other native resolutions/framerates?  Android apps on Sony can access 1080p 60hz only AFAIK but that may be limited to UI but would love to have confirmation on this as I've seen different answers.

 

Anyway, now that I've added 85QN90A to my TV collection :P I will try out the native Emby app and if that does not work, stick to CoreELEC + Emby add-on.

Edited by rooser11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rooser11 said:

Does Emby on Sony TV support DV? 

If the TV supports it.

1 hour ago, rooser11 said:

Also, do we know if DTS passthrough has been fixed on Sony TV?  Some firmwares have introduced this bug where Emby does not think Sony TV support DTS when it does

What specific bug is that?

 

1 hour ago, rooser11 said:

do we know if video playback is in 4K 24fps and other native resolutions/framerates?

That depends on if the TV makes that switch itself.  Android built in on TVs do not support display mode switching by the app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rooser11
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

If the TV supports it.

What specific bug is that?

 

That depends on if the TV makes that switch itself.  Android built in on TVs do not support display mode switching by the app.

thanks for your message.  my questions are all directed to the emby app running on the sony tv itself, not through shield or other android boxes because android on Sony TV seems very limited and yet it is blackbox because the app always reports that it is running at 1080p at 60hz and there is unfortunately no way of knowing whether the TV is playing 4K content in 4K resolution or whether 4K content in 1080p (because of the app limitation) and then upscaled to 4K or at what fps/hz.  I was hopeful that you'd know more on how the app operates on SONY tv as the app developer.

Regarding the bug I mentioned, you know Emby has the ability to passthrough Dolby / DTS when it detects that the device has the capabilities.  Despite Sony TVs having DTS capabilities, it is my understanding that Sony broke something and Emby no longer detects Sony TV as DTS capable and does not give an option to passthrough DTS.  I don't think it is Emby's fault but was curious if more recent TVs with more recent firmware has fixed it.  My x900f won't get any more updates from Sony for sure.

Edited by rooser11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, rooser11 said:

no way of knowing whether the TV is playing 4K content in 4K resolution or whether 4K content in 1080p

Hi.  Your TV should show you what resolution it is in.  If you are direct playing a 4K item and the TV is 4K then it is playing in 4K.

25 minutes ago, rooser11 said:

Despite Sony TVs having DTS capabilities, it is my understanding that Sony broke something and Emby no longer detects Sony TV as DTS capable and does not give an option to passthrough DTS

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any TV that will bitstream DTS out of its internal Android apps.  There is just no reason for them to support this since no content accessible to any normal user through the built-in apps would have DTS sound tracks.  Now, they will potentially pass it through on an HDMI input and then out EARC but I can't see why they would have it from the internal apps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rooser11
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Your TV should show you what resolution it is in.  If you are direct playing a 4K item and the TV is 4K then it is playing in 4K.

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any TV that will bitstream DTS out of its internal Android apps.  There is just no reason for them to support this since no content accessible to any normal user through the built-in apps would have DTS sound tracks.  Now, they will potentially pass it through on an HDMI input and then out EARC but I can't see why they would have it from the internal apps.

Sony TV does not show the resolution it is running at except for HDMI inputs.  So for built-in apps like Emby, I cannot know what it is doing.  I can get a bit of information here and there through Kodi and picture settings menu that HDR is triggered and such but no direct information (e.g., 1080p/24hz, and DTS/DD+) that I'd get from the "display" button while feeding through HDMI inputs (e.g., shield, apple tv, firestick, or coreelec). 

Regarding the DTS streaming, I am almost certain that DTS was available on Emby's settings before some of the latest firmware updates from Sony and people reported that Sony broke this (maybe intentionally who knows but then if you recall, Sony's Bravia Core I believe utilizes DTS).

Sounds like you do not have a hands-on insight on the operation of Sony TVs either... 😕  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rooser11 said:

I am almost certain that DTS was available on Emby's settings before some of the latest firmware updates from Sony and people reported that Sony broke this (maybe intentionally

Perhaps.  I'm sure allowing that would involve a royalty payment to DTS and there would be no reason for them to incur that cost so they very well may just have disabled it.  It may have been a mistake if it ever worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rooser11
Just now, ebr said:

Perhaps.  I'm sure allowing that would involve a royalty payment to DTS and there would be no reason for them to incur that cost so they very well may just have disabled it.  It may have been a mistake if it ever worked.

Heh, hate Sony for their android experience with a lot of hacky/blackbox stuff here and there while arbitrarily hiding/disabling stuff.  Though I lost DV/DTS through TV eARC, I will be happy with Samsung QN90.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orionas21
On 5/28/2022 at 6:46 AM, EmbyKiwi said:

Hi Orionas21

Still very satisfied with the Sony. Unfortunately I don't have a serious enough receiver and speaker setup to do DTS-HD or Atmos so I can't really comment on those. I've just got a basic 5.1 connected via ARC and generally it works well, enough to scare the neighbours! 🙂 

I have occasionally run into a situation where I skip over the opening credits of a TV show and the sound disappears for that playback. Other shows play fine and other services (eg Netflix play fine) . Closing Emby and coming back in doesn't fix it either but turning the TV off and back on solves it. Fortunately the Sony turns off and back on very quickly so not a big deal. Not sure whether this is a Sony TV quirk or an Emby one but it only happens very infrequently and seemingly more often with H.265 files. I generally use H.264 versions as more devices can watch them without needing transcoding on the server so pretty infrequent. I only mention it as this is probably the only slightly annoying thing I've found so far. Everything else I use just works and, also, the app support is very good. Any time a new app comes out for sport or another streaming service it always seems to be available for Android TV/Google TV in the first round. 

Happy viewing on whatever you go with! 🙂

Cheers

 

Hi EmbyWiki.

Thank you for your input. I thing i will proceed with 77 inch!!

Hopefully since ARC is supported (also eARC according to the manual) i wont have issues!

Regarding to the bug that you are referring i think that somewhere i saw a solution to decrease the auto logoff time in the app to less that 1 hour.

on your TV go to Settings>Startup tab, there's AutoLogoff Timeout, choose desired interval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EmbyKiwi

Hi Orionas21

Hope it goes well with the 77" and thanks for the suggestion re the 'bug' ! 🙂

I'll give it a go and see if the  issues goes away.

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Orionas21

The TV arrived and installed in a wall mount the same day.

After one week of testing, everything works flawlessly.

The Emby app is loading almost instantly and by adding in the usb3, a hub with gigabit Ethernet and 3 usb3.0 ports i managed to play all my movies even the ones with 76Mbit bitstream without any buffering issue and of course Direct play.

Only MPEG-4 content can not play from EMBY app which after searching the specs of the TV it is not supported so also the embedded player couldn't play it, but Kodi is able, so the next thing is to try the Emby addon in Kodi or if anyone knows what settings i need to set to the server to transcode/encode the MPEG-4 to H.264, or how i can over come this issue (maybe installing the android app instead of the google tv app)?

The pass-through with eARC plays well and the sound is perfect. Also the sound from the TV speakers is pretty good.

All Dolby Vision movies have been identified correctly and played without any issue.

In the new release of the EMBY app the auto logout was default at 1 Hour and so far i didn't face any issue with the loading.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrimReaper
9 hours ago, Orionas21 said:

if anyone knows what settings i need to set to the server to transcode/encode the MPEG-4 to H.264,

That should happen automatically on default server settings, open a topic in the  appropriate forum section detailing your issue:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the latest Beta App for Android, direct playback should also be supported, eagerly awaiting the release as I have many clients.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 2:11 AM, GrimReaper said:

That should happen automatically on default server settings, open a topic in the  appropriate forum section detailing your issue:

 

Actually i found what was the issue and corrected it. So now everything is working as it should be!

Thanks.

 

The combination of Sony TV (Google TV) and EMBY is truly amazing!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...