Google keeps marking my Emby domain as a deceptive/phishing site.

Nebarik

TCEmby1

This just happened to me as well. It happened suspiciously a few days after I had a new user sign in on chromecast app and stream a movie or 2 off there. 

I went through the process to declare it a mistake through Google but yeah... would love a permanent fix...

Edited by TCEmby1

The changes for this are in 4.7.12, which is rolling out today. Thanks guys.

DarkZrobe
8 hours ago, Luke said:

And just to confirm, if I moved to the 4.8 Beta track I should just wait for the 4.8 release. Downgrading causes issues correct?

Just now, DarkZrobe said:

And just to confirm, if I moved to the 4.8 Beta track I should just wait for the 4.8 release. Downgrading causes issues correct?

Correct, yes. You can switch back to the stable track as soon as 4.8 hits the stable channel.

• 2 weeks later...
Exor85
On 5/25/2023 at 5:34 PM, Luke said:

Hello,

have the version 4.7.13 and yet since today (for the first time) I am affected by this problem.

Emby is running on Unraid behind a reverse proxy (Nginx Proxy Manager).

Is there already a solution? It doesn't help much if you get flagged regularly.

Edited by Exor85

17 minutes ago, Exor85 said:

Hello,

have the version 4.7.13 and yet since today (for the first time) I am affected by this problem.

Emby is running on Unraid behind a reverse proxy (Nginx Proxy Manager).

Is there already a solution? It doesn't help much if you get flagged regularly.

If your already flagged then you’ll have to submit a ticket with Google to get unflagged. Hopefully it won’t happen again after  that.

Exor85

I have been using Emby for several years. Today it happened for the first time. The ticket to Google has already been written.

I'm just concerned that it happened today, even though I have the latest stable version installed.

40 minutes ago, Exor85 said:

I have been using Emby for several years. Today it happened for the first time. The ticket to Google has already been written.

I'm just concerned that it happened today, even though I have the latest stable version installed.

Yea we’ll have to keep an eye on it in case further changes are going to be needed.

• 4 weeks later...
Nick773

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME TODAY

we are on version 4.7.13.0 our server is cloudron.io

this messed up our main servers url :/

Untitled design.png

36 minutes ago, Nick773 said:

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME TODAY

we are on version 4.7.13.0 our server is cloudron.io

this messed up our main servers url 😕

Untitled design.png

Do you have ssl setup? What is the server’s configured display name? 

Nick773
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Do you have ssl setup? What is the server’s configured display name? 

Yes its has an SSL and you want to know something funny i actual changed the server’s configured display name?  from a random numbers like this ####-####-#### to a name i choice
please don't tell me that's why this happened

5 minutes ago, Nick773 said:

Yes its has an SSL and you want to know something funny i actual changed the server’s configured display name?  from a random numbers like this ####-####-#### to a name i choice
please don't tell me that's why this happened

If you look at the output of index.html for the web app, there is no mention of Emby anymore due to this situation.

But if you have Emby in your configured server display name, or any other known name like Netflix or Disney, then it may cause Google to think you’re trying to impersonate them.

Nick773
1 minute ago, Luke said:

ou have Emby in your configured server display name, or any other known name like Netflix or Disney, then it may cause Google to think you’re

oh yeah our url was emby.... thanks we will fix this

• Thanks 1

gdaniel241

@Nick773

Has changing the URL fixed the issue for you?

My domain is getting flagged again, and I have the 4.7.13.0 version. 
I want to make sure that changing the URL is worth it, not that I have to setup every device (and every family device) again and get the same error after another day of usage.

Thanks!

Edited by gdaniel241

• 2 weeks later...
kossmann

Same here... https-URL like "emby.mydomain.de" among some others ("xyz.mydomain.de", ...) behind an Apache reverse proxy - and Google always flags emby or the whole domain 😞 

Edited by kossmann

Pantheis

This just happened to me this evening. I've been running the  4.8.0.17 beta (because everything I need works on it), on unraid behind nginx reverse proxy, using letsencrypt SSL certs, subdomains off of my own owned domain and duckdns for dyndns. How do I fix this? I am using an emby . mydomain . com adddress. Do I need to change this to something other than emby.? I've already requested Google review this, but I don't want this happening again.

Pantheis
10 minutes ago, Pantheis said:

This just happened to me this evening. I've been running the  4.8.0.17 beta (because everything I need works on it), on unraid behind nginx reverse proxy, using letsencrypt SSL certs, subdomains off of my own owned domain and duckdns for dyndns. How do I fix this? I am using an emby . mydomain . com adddress. Do I need to change this to something other than emby.? I've already requested Google review this, but I don't want this happening again.

I was unable to edit my response, but I wanted to add that I have not had my server display name set to Emby, it is something completely unrelated to any media content at all, so in my case that isn't the issue. 

seanbuff
7 hours ago, Pantheis said:

I am using an emby . mydomain . com adddress. Do I need to change this to something other than emby.?

Yes, I would try changing this completely.

Others have had success changing their subdomain to something unrelated to Emby.

• 4 weeks later...
geggia82

Google marked my url as malicious today.
My configuration: private domain (with Google verification via TXT DNS records) with Let's Encrypt certificate, Emby instance runs behind a reverse HAProxy.
I had the same problem a few months ago, same configuration but on DuckDNS domain, it was solved when I switched to owned domain but here it is again today.
The version is 4.7.13.0, the word Emby, or "media" or nothing similar appears neither in the server name nor in the URL (and therefore not even in the certificate).
I am beginning to lose hope.

Edited by geggia82

On 8/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, geggia82 said:

Google marked my url as malicious today.
My configuration: private domain (with Google verification via TXT DNS records) with Let's Encrypt certificate, Emby instance runs behind a reverse HAProxy.
I had the same problem a few months ago, same configuration but on DuckDNS domain, it was solved when I switched to owned domain but here it is again today.
The version is 4.7.13.0, the word Emby, or "media" or nothing similar appears neither in the server name nor in the URL (and therefore not even in the certificate).
I am beginning to lose hope.

For the next beta build we'll add more changes to remove all mention of Emby from the manifest.json file. There's a chance google could also be looking at that.

Jdiesel

Just got hit with this for the first time today. On 4.8.0.43 at the moment.

Using ngnix proxy, letsencrypt certificate, and HSTS enforced.

Edited by Jdiesel

andrew0404

Just happened to me on 4.8.0.43.  I am using traefik to redirect from ssl using ddns and an owned domain.  It only affects my emby.* subdomain.  Even loading emby through organizer didn't display the warning.

• 1 month later...
tekfranz
2 hours ago, tekfranz said:

@Luke
Not seeing 4.8 Beta for Max OS M1, M2 Arm.

In other words the link to the  Mac M1beta still downloads 4.7.14.0.