Multiple files for episode metadata issue

miniliQuid
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

miniliQuid

Ok this is a known issue in many programs that I use honestly.
I know sonarr used to have this too, but forntunately they know also give you the option to identify unmapped files manually.

In emby when there are episodes with a number in the title, emby also starts thinking it should use that number as episode number (even though it should just grab the first number in the order to deduce the episode number).

Now with emby the good thing is you can manually adjust metadata for episodes.
The problem that I have though is that the episodes are hidden behind the other episode so I cannot adjust the metadata that I need to get to :(

In the example below it now just sees episode 807 as the first episode of the show. However when trying to edit the metadata it simply shows me the metadata of episode 001.
This is a HUGE issue as this happens to multiple episodes for one piece, and that it just a small part of all the shows that have this issue.
So basically you are missing episodes when watching a show, and it simply skips over them

episode mismatches.jpg

GrimReaper

Based on only that glimpse, I'd guess you are using unsupported episode naming convention, and your items are getting multi-versioned:

Episode naming conventions

A number of naming conventions are supported:

• show name - S01E01 - Episode Name.ext
  • show name S01E01 Episode Name.ext
  • anything_s01e02.ext
  • anything_s1e2.ext
  • anything_s01.e02.ext
  • anything_s01_e02.ext
  • anything_1x02.ext
  • anything_102.ext
  • anything_1x02.ext
  • 02 Episode Name.ext
  • s01e02.ext
  • 1x02.ext

Although not a fan, "xx episode name" is supported, but you should drop that "space-dash-space" after episode number as that is likely what's causing multi-versioning. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Happy2Play

Well using absolute numbering is supported assume you have selected that Display mode on the series.  But a full example is need to include folder structure and naming scheme as Luke asked.

But the parser is probably looking at "2.0 HorribleSub" as the episode number and name.

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But the parser is probably looking at "2.0 HorribleSub" as the episode number and name.

Hm, hard to say, as per:

7 hours ago, miniliQuid said:

In the example below it now just sees episode 807 as the first episode of the show.

I'd guess parser took "Part 1" into account. 

Anyway, as you've said, folder structure is needed, it's all guesswork only till provided. 

miniliQuid

As Grimreaper mentioned, the Part 1 is taken as episode since the 2.0 is on pretty much all files and ignored in all other cases.
Another example is a title like "100 warriors" being taken as that it would be episode 100 while it is not etc. etc.

Naturally a "part 2" in the title would thus be taken as that it is the second episode.
I am simply wondering why it doesn't stick to the first number mentioned, as all my files have these dashes with the episode number in between.
Also as most titles do not have numbers in it, these episodes are a select few.
However without a way to get to their metadata and alter it to the correct episode number, these are now basically "missing" in Emby.

Edit: On a side note, normally I wouldn't have a season 1 folder for these files, but in another topic considering the anime side of emby, it was mentioned that without a season 1 folder, there used to be a lot more issues. Because of that I placed all anime files within their respective folders in a season 1 folder. This solved a lot of problems, but hopefully it has nothing to do with the current issue.

folder and file structure.jpg

Edited by miniliQuid

GrimReaper

So why don't you just batch-add S01E to all your files and have all problems begone? Any bulk-rename utility will do that in like 5-10 seconds, seeing you keep Absolute numbering, all files in sinle folder? 

miniliQuid
On 11/22/2021 at 2:23 PM, GrimReaper said:

So why don't you just batch-add S01E to all your files and have all problems begone? Any bulk-rename utility will do that in like 5-10 seconds, seeing you keep Absolute numbering, all files in sinle folder? 

Well cause typically I wouldn't even have a season 1 folder for my files.
The only reason I added that, because there was no other work around for the absolute numbering system to work.

Though more importantly I use automation which might break when the other episodes are altered this way?
Currently new files get added to the folder automatically without change in format.
Emby generally picks them up perfectly fine, with exception of the issues mentioned in my first post, which are luckily far and few between.

Also it seems a very specific issue that only shows up with anime that sticks to the absolute numbering system :(
I haven't seen this same issue, nor had complaints from friends using my server, for seasonal shows as series and american anime/animations seem fine.

Anyway I am willing to try adding S01E in front of the numbering for a show, and see if the automation still works with emby picking up the newly added stuff :)

Happy2Play

Did you set Display mode to Absolute from Aired on the Series?

image.png.3ba2d553344583b61f3fbc21df986572.png

I have done many tests with this series as it is reported to have issue a lot.  May have to do some testing with your specific naming scheme.  But I know I have zero issue with the absolute numbered items.

Edited by Happy2Play

miniliQuid
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Did you set Display mode to Absolute from Aired on the Series?

image.png.3ba2d553344583b61f3fbc21df986572.png

I have done many tests with this series as it is reported to have issue a lot.  May have to do some testing with your specific naming scheme.  But I know I have zero issue with the absolute numbered items.

Yes, I make sure all anime that is released in absolute order is set so in emby.
But it is not specific to the show one piece where this issue occurs.
It happens to all the anime I have that uses absolute order and has numbers in the title.

Happy2Play

Minus it being naming scheme specific I have no issues with 1 thru 200 with absolute.

image.png.c0706ffdce1d6d270a635234849be464.png

image.thumb.png.0c5c39500e23ea26157646f73858aa50.png

But note Display Mode ONLY works with TVDB being the first provider.

Edited by Happy2Play

miniliQuid
16 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Minus it being naming scheme specific I have no issues with 1 thru 200 with absolute.

But note Display Mode ONLY works with TVDB being the first provider.

That could also be the issue since I tend to stay away from TVDB and prefer other providers.
So it should work with TVDB being on top for all the metadata items?

But didn't TVDB intend to start asking lots of money for their services?
Cause if emby moves away from using TVDB as a source, it's no use for me to switch to them as main provider for anime metadata at this point.

If not I am willing to test it since adding s01e broke the automation of my server 😅

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, miniliQuid said:

But didn't TVDB intend to start asking lots of money for their services?

Emby has a deal with TVDB right now for v4 api so there is nothing you need to worry about for I believe another year.

But TVDB is the only provider current programmed to provide absolute order.

miniliQuid

Okay, guess I will just have to turn on TVDB and put it on top.
Shouldn't the anime plugin help with absolute order as well?
Cause I have it installed, and as far as I know most anime sites use absolute order.

Anyway trying my luck with TVDB right now and hoping for the best :D

Shouldn't the anime plugin help with absolute order as well?

Ideally it should, but it is mostly community contributed so I'm not all that familiar with what it does.

miniliQuid
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Ideally it should, but it is mostly community contributed so I'm not all that familiar with what it does.

Ah oke, cause I had that installed for a while, but thought that maybe it didn't work then.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:05 AM, Happy2Play said:

Unfortunately TVDB doesn't change anything it seems :(
Checked the first 200 episodes specifically and I am missing 151, 160 and 175 in emby from the first 200.
They pop up under episode 100, 10 and 0, which matches with their titlenames.

This makes me curious as to how you have your file structure.
Perhaps I can simply implement that to fix it.
Might be some work temporarily, but if it doesn't give any automation issues I'm all fine with that.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, miniliQuid said:

This makes me curious as to how you have your file structure.

Series/Season/Episode numbered 1 thru 200.

image.png.661316ef7e4884c652cf255c9abd4d30.png

Happy2Play

Also tested this naming scheme (everything minus the actual episode title).

image.png.b77f735ed926f49129241c0d37dc6d3a.png

image.png.6efd2d39025ddd3bb2412b3badc0e19f.png

4 hours ago, miniliQuid said:

Checked the first 200 episodes specifically and I am missing 151, 160 and 175 in emby from the first 200.
They pop up under episode 100, 10 and 0, which matches with their titlenames.

What server version?  As this was a corrected defect in current releases.

But my tests were in 4.6.7.0 and 4.7.0.18

Edited by Happy2Play

miniliQuid
On 11/29/2021 at 11:27 PM, Happy2Play said:

Also tested this naming scheme (everything minus the actual episode title).

image.png.6efd2d39025ddd3bb2412b3badc0e19f.png

What server version?  As this was a corrected defect in current releases.

But my tests were in 4.6.7.0 and 4.7.0.18

Well my server is running on 4.6.7.0.
So basically it gets confused when you add the episode titles (at least when they have numbers in it).

Happy2Play
50 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play so no problems for you when trying to reproduce?

It is do to naming scheme as "Part 1" actually cause it.

Multi-versioned to 001

One Piece (1999) - 807 - A Heartbreaking Duel! Luffy vs. Sanji Part 1 (1080p x264 8bit AAC 2.0 HorribleSubs)

or

One Piece (1999) - 807 - A Heartbreaking Duel! Luffy vs. Sanji - Part 1 (1080p x264 8bit AAC 2.0 HorribleSubs)

Seen as 807

One Piece (1999) - 807 - A Heartbreaking Duel! Luffy vs. Sanji (1) (1080p x264 8bit AAC 2.0 HorribleSubs) 

TVDB vs TMDB naming

A Heartbreaking Duel! Luffy vs. Sanji (1)

A Heartbreaking Duel! Duel - Luffy vs. Sanji - Part 1

only tested on 4.6.7.0

Edited by Happy2Play
added version

miniliQuid
On 12/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, Happy2Play said:

Seen as 807

One Piece (1999) - 807 - A Heartbreaking Duel! Luffy vs. Sanji (1) (1080p x264 8bit AAC 2.0 HorribleSubs)

That does work, but it seems to work only because it is between brackets (everything between brackets gets ignored?).
I tried the exact same name without the brackets around the 1, and it files it wrong again :(

Also there seems to be an issue with any episode above 999 as they don't show up.
This is a seperate issue though since it has little to do with the numbers in the titles as far as I can figure.

• 2 weeks later...
miniliQuid

Removing titles works for one piece it seems.
However that does not fix the episodes above 999.
I noticed all of those are placed under episode 100.

Edited by miniliQuid

miniliQuid

Another question as I ran into a new problem using TVDB instead of the anime metadata providers 😭
Specials are completely not recognized somehow.
I checked TVDB really quick but they are on there.
Only 1 shows up for me, but I haven't removed titles for the movies & ovas yet.

Just like all episodes are in season 1, all specials are in a special folder.
However because specials are far and few between, I do name these by season and as far as I know (and just checked on TVDB) these are mentioned as season 0.
Got them all numbered that way, and previously they showed up just fine without issues.
After changing all anime to TVDB all specials are messed up (example below for Naruto Shippuden).

How do I go about fixing the specials for all anime shows?

naruto shippuden specials ordered.jpg

naruto shippuden specials.jpg

Edited by miniliQuid

pwhodges
3 minutes ago, miniliQuid said:

Just like all episodes are in season 1, all specials are in a special folder.
However because specials are far and few between, I do name these by season and as far as I know (and just checked on TVDB) these are mentioned as season 1.

I'm not clear from that whether your specials are or are not in a single folder, but your following image looks fine.

With all the specials in a single folder called "Specials", I have never had a problem with TVDB failing to recognise them.  The only suggestion I have is to try removing the "(2007)" from the file names, as TVDB isn't requiring that.

Paul