Change Music artist path or delete music artist

Ghostm

This is probably my only issue with the server.

Most of my music is on my G drive, 95% of my music in mb3 with metadata references the G drive location. However a few of my music artists path refers to a path in media browser server called images by name and then artist folder located on my C drive where the server is installed.

The issue is over dlna these ones cannot be viewed and it also bothers me these few refer to this location incase i upgrade my pc i doubt this path would work. I cant change the path though or delete the artist itself. At least in chrome I cant seem to edit the path at all.

I believe the issue with all these artists are they did not scrape so i manually put in the music brainz album id and noticed after it scrapped the problem was with the naming and tags. When i manually put in the music brainz id and they scrapped they scrapped to the images by name album folder instead of the actual artist folder on the g drive like the rest. I assume it did this because the name on music brainz it scrapped metadata was different then the tags.

But i cannot fix the location, i cant point to the proper location, i have tried everything, i corrected the tags and naming, removed my entire library and rescanned it, removed the artist and rescanned, deleted the entire music by name artist folder, and it just wont change. Every time i re-add the artist without failure it will point to the images by name artist name folder and will even auto rescrape and add metadata to that folder if its deleted.

This is literally the only issue i cant solve with the server and i have been trying for months. I cannot fix the path these few artists are set to. I also cannot delete music artists although I can albums.

From history i believe i fixed the albums pointing to this location when the delete button was implemented, but I cant delete an artist. 

Happy2Play

None of mine saved to IBN location, but have you tried moving the artist.xml to your artist folder, delete the IBN/artists/artist folder, then rescan your library.

Can you provide an example.

None of mine saved to IBN location, but have you tried moving the artist.xml to your artist folder, delete the IBN/artists/artist folder, then rescan your library.

Can you provide an example.

I have tried a billion things so I am going to try your suggestion incase i did not  before i report back. 

An example of how it ended up their?

This is going from memory this has plagued me for months.

Florence and the machine I had titled Florence + the machine which on xbmc scrapper I used is what they were refered to as. It varies from scrapper to scrapper. I was frustrated so I went to music brainz and edited the artist page manually to get it to scrape (5fee3020-513b-48c2-b1f7-4681b01db0c6). It did, and it stored the metadata in the image by name folder and now i cant get rid of it. I can remove it, but as soon as I add the artist back it always scrapes and repopulates the metadata in the image by name folder. I would say out of about 60 artists 4-5 didnt scrape properly and they all have this issue since i added the music brainz id manually,  and they are inaccessible over dlna. 

Im going to try your suggestion though. 

Edited by Ghostm

I gave it a try and as soon as I re-add it those 5 or so artists all look back to the image by name folder. (C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Florence and The Machine).

95% of them look at the proper folder  except those ones which didnt scrape and I entered the ID manually.

Example of the proper paths (\\ADMIN\G\Music\Apparat)

Edited by Ghostm

I should also mention this was done on a dev version of the server which was a bit unstable back in February, this may not even be normal behavior anymore, but none the less its stuck now.  

Nevermind spoke to soon, some are still affected, a few were fixed somehow and I have no idea how a few were fixed, possibly an advanced refresh? Tried happy2plays suggestion again and a few are still pointing to image by name and i cant do anything to get rid of them. 

Edited by Ghostm

Well I dont think i can fix this without a delete artist or ability to change path, certain artists just keep pointing the images by name folder, and I cant correct it. Even removing the images by name folder, the artist folder, removing the music share, and readding it all, it just points back to images by name for those few. 

album artists are listed based on tags. when metadata is downloaded, it tries to match up an album artist name in the tag with a music artist folder name. if it can your metadata gets downloaded there. if it can't it uses images by name. looking at it i think the comparison can be tightened up a bit. but as the data comes from your tags, you don't delete artists, you just update your id3 tags.

Thanks this makes a bit more sense. But still some issues.

I double checked my tags but im not sure what else to do.

So here is one of them.

R.E.M for instance windows wont accept a period at the end for a folder, yet my tags are R.E.M. and when i click identify the scrapper lists them as R.E.M. as well. 

Anyway I have attempted a bunch of things and it is now pointing to the proper location. Except one album creates duplicate album artist entry in the image by name folder for R.E.M without the period.

I dont know why i tripple checked that albums tags. All the tags have a period at the end of the M. and the other two albums are scrapping fine and are not doing this. 

So at this point if i remove the troubled album the duplicate entry pointing to the image by name folder showing the name as R.E.M without the period goes away. But as soon as i readd and rescape it, it actually adds it to the proper album artist entry, but also creates a second duplicate album artist in the image by name folder with the name R.E.M without the period.

Your probably going to say something is wrong with the tags for that album but i have tripple checked. I also removed and reloaded xml files for that album and rescrapped. 

Edited by Ghostm

Here is some pictures 

As you can see here is the duplicate album artist pointing to the image by name folder whenever this album is added to the library. It lists the album as R.E.M without a period yet if you see below that albums artist tag clearly is labeled R.E.M. with the period.

5412b3e861ab5_Rem2.png

The file tag has it listed as R.E.M. with the period yet why wont it display as such to the server? I would blame the fact the folder for it I cant add the period at the end due to windows, but the other two albums display fine and dont have this issue and show up as R.E.M. with the period. 

5412b450e761f_Rem4.png

And here is the other proper entry pointing to the proper directory, it shows two albums with the period at the end for R.E.M. but the problematic album continues to scrape without the period. I manually went in and changed the name in mb3 metadata editor but that had no effect as far as getting rid of the duplicate entry.

5412b4c21c9ec_Rem3.png

Edited by Ghostm

Actually I think i figured it out, the problem is with the artist name at the album level yet.

Now granted when i originally entered these problematic albums/artists into mb3 i had spelling errors, and while i can fix the tags for music files, and the artist, how does one correct the artist name at the album level?

Here is a picture, i entered echo & the bunnymen incorrectly way back when into mb3 spelling bunnymen with an e before the y.

I have corrected the tags, the folder names, but as you can see in the picture, the album still refers to it by the incorrect spelling. The artist is spelled correctly, the individual songs have the artist spelled correctly, but the artist name at the album level is still wrong. So how can i change that.

5412cbea6bb83_mb3music.png

How do i fix that incorrect entry where the arrow is which seems to have cached my bad spelling. 
Edited by Ghostm

ginjaninja
  • 1. Switch off MB3
  • 2. Check Tags of all music content - artist and albumartist (filter on the correct/incorrect spellings to be sure you have them all)
  • 3. remove xml from collection and ibn folders relating to echo & bm (good and bad spelling)
  • 4. start mb3
  • 5. rescan library.

should sort it

Unfortunately no luck, followed each step and it just readds the album with the incorrect spelling and creates an artist folder in the image by name folder again with the bad spelling even after deleting, despite my names being correct now even in the tags.

Its almost like it has cached these bad spellings and their is no getting rid of them. 

Edited by Ghostm

Whats even stranger about this is if i click on the metadata manager on the side its correct, but if i click through the album artist tab the metadata shows the wrong directory yet.

Here it is when I click the side metadata manager bar.

54139eb9ca34c_echo.png

And here it is when i go through the album artist directory and try to edit the metadata

54139ee9770b2_echo2.png

But as far as accessing this album over dlna it is greyed out because in the album artist view the metadata is pointing to an unshared location on the server on the C drive i assume. 

ginjaninja

run ffprobe on the e*bm content...see if ffprobe is seeing something different to your tag editor.

do you have any music videos with e&bm?

Edited by ginjaninja

run ffprobe on the e*bm content...see if ffprobe is seeing something different to your tag editor.

do you have any music videos with e&bm?

I do not.

Will give ffprobe a try, see if it uncovers something.

I think you may have solved it.

When you mentioned using a different tag editor. I downloaded another one and it didnt show anything different.

Then i remembered media monkey which i use on my desktop you can edit files, and thats when I noticed it in media monkey. In mediamonkey in album artist it still had the incorrect spelling, i dont know why mp3tag or the other one i tried were showing the corrected spelling and not mediamonkey. 

I will report back though. 

Yup that did it, how can the tags in two different programs be different? I thought tags were embeded in the file? Yet if you open mp3 tag they are proper and saved, and if you open media monkey it still had incorrect spelling for album artist.

Not quite done yet, two i have no idea what the issue is even, i will post pictures see if anyone else see's anything.

And then i am curious how or if its simply not possible to fix soundtracks with various artist. Those scrape into the image by name folder since the artist and album naturally dont match up. I am guessing that is something i cant fix. 

Either i just figured out the proper secret code procedure to fix these, or mb3 was very picky over these few albums i had issues with

At the Drive-In i stared at for far to long, it just would not scrape properly, the album was not showing up even under the album artist page despite the tags being proper spelling, and i checked in mediamonkey, mp3tag, i even re-ripped the album!

Finally I got it after when i noticed the scrapper when i clicked identify listed it as At the Drive-In a lower case T for the, i had the T as a capital. So in one last attempt before posting pictures here and giving up i fixed all the tags with a lower case t and now its scrapping properly. It must have been something else it cant be that sensitive over lower and upper case ? Can it?

I have one more  ...And You will know us by the trail of dead, im almost scared to even try to fix it or find out whats wrong. I suppose I will click identify in metadata manager copy the exact spelling and upper and lower case characters  and paste it for all tags.

I still dont get the previous case why echo and the bunnymen tags were showing up properly in 2 tag editors, yet in mediamonkey player it was still spelled incorrectly when i edited the album and that was effecting mb3. 

Edited by Ghostm

Well thank the heavens, that did work just copying and pasting the scrapper name along with upper and lower case characters for the final album as well. It appeared I had the entire name in capitals and the scrapper had some upper and lower case letters.