Ready to Transfer, but never starts downloading

Marc0

hstamas
23 hours ago, jbirmingham40 said:

...I am now seeing the Transfering 0% message as expected.  This feels like a bug.  At least there is a workaround.

All the movies have now downloaded correctly.  FWIW, I have found that using the Emby app on my ipad in the background seems to trigger the iOS event which causes the download to actually happen.  This trick has never failed me.

Thats great that you found some workarounds. Will have to try them next time its not crucial to download files for a trip etc. 

Even so, for something they advertise as part of the paid feature set, it really should work more intuitively and reliably... or even work at all.

Edited by hstamas

IronBeardKnight

As a long time user of EMBY it’s very very hot and miss with media offline downloading especially if you are trying to do so over vpn or internet it’s basically useless. I say get rid of that background task stuff or give a priority option for the downloading and do proper per file statistic updates. It’s never worked reliably.

it’s hard to present logs for hit and miss rather than bug fix perhaps a feature overhall.

Happy2Play

We are currently still troubleshooting it.

If someone can test if they authenticate remotely (not on LAN) and change to LAN do downloads start, may have to check with a new download.

IronBeardKnight

This is correct they do start when switching from web to local / vpn into local however you never get any indication that they have started or any status updates to show something is happening. It’s not until they finish ( if they finish ) That you know something happened some times I think other tasks cause them to stop but again no way to tell as we don’t see any progress indicators. Even conversion is a little confusing with the progress bar as you don’t know if it’s per file, per ep, per season or just what you selected.

love the product and I think in other areas it’s class leading but it needs the small stuff ironed out.

Hi, please try the new Emby for iOS 2.1.8 update and let us know if this helps with this issue.

You want want to cancel existing download jobs on the server and recreate them. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

• Like 1

iBoss

@Luke

I'm really appreciate your effort :) ... yes it works with me  (last update 2.1.8) 👍

now we would like to have an update for emby macOS 🙏

5 hours ago, iBoss said:

@Luke

I'm really appreciate your effort :) ... yes it works with me  (last update 2.1.8) 👍

now we would like to have an update for emby macOS 🙏

Hi,yes it will be coming. Thanks for the feedback.

• Thanks 1

hstamas
On 7/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, Luke said:

Hi, please try the new Emby for iOS 2.1.8 update and let us know if this helps with this issue.

You want want to cancel existing download jobs on the server and recreate them. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Hey it works! Thanks @Luke.

Couple things still. No indication of what its doing or that its finished a download. Also when in offline mode and your finished watching something it hangs trying to go back to the main screen. Appears to be trying to load the sever content but since your off-line its hanging. It should at least try and go back to the download folder shouldn't it?

On 7/18/2022 at 11:59 AM, hstamas said:

Hey it works! Thanks @Luke.

Couple things still. No indication of what its doing or that its finished a download. Also when in offline mode and your finished watching something it hangs trying to go back to the main screen. Appears to be trying to load the sever content but since your off-line its hanging. It should at least try and go back to the download folder shouldn't it?

Do you still see the hang with the 2.1.9 Emby app update?

stefsegers

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your feedback. It is not clear if the movie/serie is downloading or downloaded. Second, when I go to the Downloads-tab I can see some series, but also not sure if I press delete what will happen. Will I delete the show from the server or just remove the download from my phone?

Happy2Play
33 minutes ago, stefsegers said:

Will I delete the show from the server or just remove the download from my phone?

Only the client.

stefsegers

thanks for your reply Happy2Play.

just a sidenote.. It would be great to see how much space all the downloads are taken on the phone so you can decide what show/movies you will remove

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stefsegers said:

thanks for your reply Happy2Play.

just a sidenote.. It would be great to see how much space all the downloads are taken on the phone so you can decide what show/movies you will remove

Yes agreed.

There are more download fixes in Emby for iOS 2.2.0, which is currently rolling out. Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
hstamas
On 7/20/2022 at 8:28 PM, Luke said:

Do you still see the hang with the 2.1.9 Emby app update?

Sorry for the late response.

It doesn't hang when the episode finishes any longer but if you're in airplane mode when you try to get back to the home screen it hangs/continuously tries to load. Obviously its trying to connect tot he server which it cant find.

Not a huge deal unless you want to watch something else you have downloaded. The only way I can see to get back to being able to choose the downloads folder when its in this state is to quit the app and relaunch?

Certainly not the user experience you are intending I'm sure.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:38 AM, hstamas said:

Sorry for the late response.

It doesn't hang when the episode finishes any longer but if you're in airplane mode when you try to get back to the home screen it hangs/continuously tries to load. Obviously its trying to connect tot he server which it cant find.

Not a huge deal unless you want to watch something else you have downloaded. The only way I can see to get back to being able to choose the downloads folder when its in this state is to quit the app and relaunch?

Certainly not the user experience you are intending I'm sure.

Hi, we'll look at improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
humor4fun

Has this issue been investigated with the Emby Theatre app for Windows? I tried to download a movie from the webapp but it doesn't give me the option to download a transcoded version, it only presents the original. So I went and got the Emby Theatre app on the Windows Store. That app lets me set up downloads, but the files get stuck at 0% Transferring no matter what I do. If i let it sit, if i close the app and restart it, nothing happens it just sits there.

13 hours ago, humor4fun said:

Has this issue been investigated with the Emby Theatre app for Windows? I tried to download a movie from the webapp but it doesn't give me the option to download a transcoded version, it only presents the original. So I went and got the Emby Theatre app on the Windows Store. That app lets me set up downloads, but the files get stuck at 0% Transferring no matter what I do. If i let it sit, if i close the app and restart it, nothing happens it just sits there.

Hi, the windows store app is downloading just fine in my testing. Ignore the Transfering % as that is just a display quirk right now.

The desktop app does not support this download feature, but it will soon when the two windows apps are finally unified.

• Agree 1

humor4fun
On 8/17/2022 at 12:58 PM, Luke said:

Hi, the windows store app is downloading just fine in my testing. Ignore the Transfering % as that is just a display quirk right now.

The desktop app does not support this download feature, but it will soon when the two windows apps are finally unified.

That's super important to know that the % is a lie. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 1:24 PM, humor4fun said:

That's super important to know that the % is a lie. Thanks

We are working on improving it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Alfablos

Hi guys,

I think I've found what's causing troubles, at least in my case.

I'm running emby's client on web (chrome, Android 12 and iOS). For Android is a Xiaomi mi 11, for iOS it's an iPad Pro 12.9 M2 with iPadOS 12.1.

I have this course uploaded in a folder on my storage server. Emby is running on Kubernetes and the folder, along with others, is mounted as a NFS volume (it's direct mounting, no provisioners). Now, this course is consists of several modules but when I try to download it in its entirety here's what happens:

- I click on download
- The download settings view shows up. For me it's fine to not just download the unwatched, no elements limit and original quality.
- I click "Download" and here's the thing: nothing happens, I mean, the UI trigger that tiny button animation but it's as if I hadn't clicked it.
- "Gosh, I never tap on the right spot and now I have to click again", I click again.
- "Downloading..." shows up at the bottom of the screen.
- I go to the manage downloads section and see 2 entries: one is a 0 element completed download, the other is a 140 elements "queued" download.

Looking at the log I saw that an exception occurs (and a subsequent nullreferenceexception) while maybe trying to parse a .srt file.

What I did was basically avoid that module and try to download SOME others, it worked great. I though "Ok, I'll try again the whole folder but only download unwatched ones" (the troublesome srt was in a module I had already gone through) but it didn't go well. From the log I saw another misbehaving .srt file that caused another exception.

Mi guess is: before starting the download Emby tries to parse .srt files, then some other stuff and only then the download begins, this time though parsing some .srt files was impossible and instead of returning an error things get stuck. Maybe the second download instance with 140 items is queued because apparently another identical had been created before. The thing is that deleting the first one won't unlock the 140 files download.

I'm attaching my logs, hope this helps.

Antonio

emby.log

lightsout

I’m having the same issue, going on a trip trying to load movies for the kids on the iPad. I have been at it for 48 hours and I have three of the six downloaded. I have been killing the app, restarting the iPad, really frustrating that this is so difficult. 

App and server are up to date.

Edit** Seems like switching the iPad from my home Wi-Fi to my phones hotspot triggers the transfer. Thanks for the tip above. I appreciate how quick Emby is able to do the conversion outside of this strange issue.

Edited by lightsout

• 2 months later...
Natelanxon

Same issue here. Have resorted to downloading on Infuse, which is linked to Emby. One odd exception is that sometimes Emby on iPad will instantly download if it’s tethered to my iPhone. Maybe some issue to do with detecting whether the phone’s permitted to download over cellular?

• 4 weeks later...

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !