How to troubleshoot login issues?

chudak

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, chudak said:

Yeah and that’s what I do and advocating that the Emby connect has to do the same - maintain the list of *any* Url and just try it without any redirect 

I'm trying to wrap my head around how did you envision that, and the only thing I can think of is that you've got it wrong. 

Emby Connect is not a part of your server, but an external service. There are no 'redirects', all communication is done strictly between your server and client. If client doesn't know your external address but rather goes through Connect, Connect will 'pass' that address and that's all. What more simplification you'd like there? 

1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how did you envision that, and the only thing I can think of is that you've got it wrong. 

Emby Connect is not a part of your server, but an external service. There are no 'redirects', all communication is done strictly between your server and client. If client doesn't know your external address but rather goes through Connect, Connect will 'pass' that address and that's all. What more simplification you'd like there? 

What if I want to use two addresses to the server ? What is the purpose to use http://app.emby.media/ if it ‘pass’ that address and that’s all ?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, chudak said:

What if I want to use two addresses to the server ? What is the purpose to use http://app.emby.media/ if it ‘pass’ that address and that’s all ?

What do you mean by "two" addresses? 

Your server has one address not multiple to the outside unless you have a commercial ISP contract and get multiple IPs from them.  Otherwise your cable modem has one IP and that's it.
That is what Emby Connect is going to use.

But as I've pointed out a few times, this is not needed if you have a domain name or DDNS because you can use that to get to your server to simply things.   With the domain or DDNS you don't need to worry about Emby Connect at all.  You don't have to link EC names to usernames on your system nor do you have to help users pre-create the Emby Connect usernames before you add them to your server.

Having your own DDNS or domain name simplifies the whole process and is the way to go. Users will have only one password and one username and you completely control that on your server. It doesn't get easier than that.

Emby Connect is for unique situations where a person can't get a DDNS working or can't get a domain name or for some users on their system that access multiple Emby Servers. This last part is where Emby Connect shines.

I for example have access to more than a dozen Emby Servers. So for me using Emby Connect makes sense as after  logging in I get a list of those servers I can use. It doesn't matter what username or password is setup on each of those servers either as I won't need to use them.  I could be carlo on one system, cayars on another, support_dude on a different server and it doesn't matter.  As long as the admin links my EC name which is the same as my forum name "cayars" I can login easily.

So Emby Connect has it's place but for 95% of users that have a server with a domain name or DDNS name it's not needed and just adds a layer of complexity.

Does that make sense?

14 hours ago, cayars said:

Your server has one address not multiple to the outside unless you have a commercial ISP contract and get multiple IPs from them.  Otherwise your cable modem has one IP and that's it.
That is what Emby Connect is going to use.

But as I've pointed out a few times, this is not needed if you have a domain name or DDNS because you can use that to get to your server to simply things.   With the domain or DDNS you don't need to worry about Emby Connect at all.  You don't have to link EC names to usernames on your system nor do you have to help users pre-create the Emby Connect usernames before you add them to your server.

Having your own DDNS or domain name simplifies the whole process and is the way to go. Users will have only one password and one username and you completely control that on your server. It doesn't get easier than that.

Emby Connect is for unique situations where a person can't get a DDNS working or can't get a domain name or for some users on their system that access multiple Emby Servers. This last part is where Emby Connect shines.

I for example have access to more than a dozen Emby Servers. So for me using Emby Connect makes sense as after  logging in I get a list of those servers I can use. It doesn't matter what username or password is setup on each of those servers either as I won't need to use them.  I could be carlo on one system, cayars on another, support_dude on a different server and it doesn't matter.  As long as the admin links my EC name which is the same as my forum name "cayars" I can login easily.

So Emby Connect has it's place but for 95% of users that have a server with a domain name or DDNS name it's not needed and just adds a layer of complexity.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense!

I am trying to rethink all this based on what you say.  I wish I had access to several emby servers so I can see what you see.

Anyway thanks and appreciate your input!

• Like 1

@cayars

I have several users on my server and probably have not set up/linked them correctly.

So wonder if you can walk me thru a process how to fix it.

So say I have a user "john" and he has an emby connect account with an email "john@gmail.com"

When that user try to connect via emby connect, he does not see any servers linked.

Questions:

1.  If I try to modify his account to have his email to be used in the "(Optional) Emby Connect username or email address:" I get an error: "The Emby Connect user is already linked to another user on this server."  How do I fix this?

2.  Say I disregarded the issue ^, why can't I add a new server URL/server and have it stick to this user when say I see no servers linked on a emby TV client UI?

Thx

1 minute ago, chudak said:

@cayars

I have several users on my server and probably have not set up/linked them correctly.

So wonder if you can walk me thru a process how to fix it.

So say I have a user "john" and he has an emby connect account with an email "john@gmail.com"

When that user try to connect via emby connect, he does not see any servers linked.

Questions:

1.  If I try to modify his account to have his email to be used in the "(Optional) Emby Connect username or email address:" I get an error: "The Emby Connect user is already linked to another user on this server."  How do I fix this?

2.  Say I disregarded the issue ^, why can't I add a new server URL/server and have it stick to this user when say I see no servers linked on a emby TV client UI?

Thx

Hi, we have a walkthrough here, please check out the section called "guide for administrators":

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160340-emby-connect

Please let us know if that helps. Thanks.

The Emby Connect user is already linked to another user on this server."  How do I fix this?

You can't use the same emby connect email address with mulitple local users on your server. It is a 1:1 relationship.

Just now, chudak said:

It's not clear how to unlink/fix a bad association with an exiting account.

Thx @Luke

Simply blank it out and save the user.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Simply blank it out and save the user.

Trying ...

That's actually an important piece of information, did not see it in docs :(

1 hour ago, chudak said:

hat's actually an important piece of information, did not see it in docs

A "Remove Link" button that does it for you is probably an even better idea...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ebr said:

A "Remove Link" button that does it for you is probably an even better idea...

You mean something like?

This Emby Connect username is already associated with another user on this system.
Do you wish to remove it from the other user? YES NO

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, chudak said:

"The Emby Connect user is already linked to another user on this server."  How do I fix this?

At the same time if it already exist, does that mean a user has multiple accounts or you are editing the wrong account?

14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

At the same time if it already exist, does that mean a user has multiple accounts or you are editing the wrong account?

Even simple test with explanations below the test field would be helpful

14 hours ago, cayars said:

You mean something like?

This Emby Connect username is already associated with another user on this system.
Do you wish to remove it from the other user? YES NO

No, I mean an "Unlink" button right next to the field that will just blank it out and save.

Just personal opinion but I don't think that's needed.  How hard is it to erase the data in one field?
If we do this in one spot then it's going to need to be done in other spots as well.

15 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just personal opinion but I don't think that's needed.  How hard is it to erase the data in one field?
If we do this in one spot then it's going to need to be done in other spots as well.

Not hard if you know this

“It's very difficult to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no black cat”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cayars said:

But it isn't necessarily obvious that that's what it takes to remove the link and we have had this question come up multiple times.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, ebr said:

But it isn't necessarily obvious that that's what it takes to remove the link and we have had this question come up multiple times.

Absolutely not obvious!

• Like 1

More theoretical/implementation question.

Say a user has a successful emby connection login and sees and the server that connects OK.

Question - how does the emby connect know an external IP address in case if accessed outside of local network?

@Luke

Thx

If you're asking how does it know the server address, it is the remote address displayed on your emby server dashboard.

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you're asking how does it know the server address, it is the remote address displayed on your emby server dashboard.

I know that.

I wonder, when I am outside of my home network setting up a new emby client on a TV, how does "emby.media" know it?

Sounds you are saying that  "emby.media"  knows it from my In-Home (LAN) access: IP_XXX and Remote (WAN) access: IP_YYY

correct?

21 minutes ago, chudak said:

I know that.

I wonder, when I am outside of my home network setting up a new emby client on a TV, how does "emby.media" know it?

Sounds you are saying that  "emby.media"  knows it from my In-Home (LAN) access: IP_XXX and Remote (WAN) access: IP_YYY

correct?

It knows the two addresses, and the client tries them both to see which one works.