Scrambled/corrupted picture with some channels and recordings.

e-charge

Like I said in the PM:

For three of your log files
=> Emby is trying to do tone-mapping in software, for which the device is simply not capable. Maybe it works with hw acceleration.

For the other three
=> Here we are trying to stream-copy MPEG2Video and deliver via HLS. This does not always work.
 we need to make sure to transcode in that case 

Regarding the latter, I'd like to ask for a little patience as this needs to be addressed in the client app, and it might take a while to get another version out.

Thanks,
sw

• 4 weeks later...

Can I bump this up as well please?

Haven't used Emby for a couple of months - fired it up this evening and several of my files are displaying this problem on the FireTV stick. Playback fine on iphone or Windows.

Can provide logs if needed.

This was working on these files/ channels before so could it be caused by a recent change made in the server software? I notice that 4.6.6 and 4.6.7 were released in quick succession around the end of November. It's quite possible that I haven't used it since the previous release until today.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes- checked a live TV channel yesterday and the corruption/ green stripes are still there. 
I was able to run a conversion on one of the live tv recordings which exhibited the problem and the resultant file was fine- don’t know if that information helps. If you need logs or other info, let me know. 

• 3 weeks later...
brainfryd

Hi All

Just thought I would add to this as we're having the same image tearing issue mostly when trying to playback 4K content on the FireTV stick. I know its not related to TV playback., but it seem to more about transcoding anyway.  I have tried using playback correction, but it doesn't resolve the issue. 

We have fixed the resolution in the FireTV settings to 1080p and disabled HDR as the TV is an older Panasonic unit that doesn't support it.

I've attached my server logs and the ffmpeg logs for last couple of attempts. If there's anything I need to provide, please let me know

For reference I also have a FireTV 4K and an LG TV running with no playback issues. 

ffmpeg-transcode-6d9d6555-c4ad-4ab9-bdc3-19a0efb8e652_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-308ae540-a145-4468-b3c4-8950accc89b2_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a2204c66-2db7-43d0-8aa9-1c6c7f15db8f_1.txt

17 hours ago, brainfryd said:

Hi All

Just thought I would add to this as we're having the same image tearing issue mostly when trying to playback 4K content on the FireTV stick. I know its not related to TV playback., but it seem to more about transcoding anyway.  I have tried using playback correction, but it doesn't resolve the issue. 

We have fixed the resolution in the FireTV settings to 1080p and disabled HDR as the TV is an older Panasonic unit that doesn't support it.

I've attached my server logs and the ffmpeg logs for last couple of attempts. If there's anything I need to provide, please let me know

For reference I also have a FireTV 4K and an LG TV running with no playback issues. 

ffmpeg-transcode-6d9d6555-c4ad-4ab9-bdc3-19a0efb8e652_1.txt 51.72 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-308ae540-a145-4468-b3c4-8950accc89b2_1.txt 88.21 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 2.1 MB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-a2204c66-2db7-43d0-8aa9-1c6c7f15db8f_1.txt 594.43 kB · 0 downloads

HI, since you're running the beta server, can you please update to the latest and then re-evaluate? Thanks.

brainfryd

Hi All, 

I have updated my server version 4.7.0.28 and re-tried playback, but no change, still have the jagged lines and colour issues.
Updated logs attached with debugging enabled, in case you need them

brainfryd

ffmpeg-transcode-15aac63c-faae-4270-a11f-fc9ddfed210a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e1a805b7-bf77-425c-bec1-2ea3a2d7ed37_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-49d77456-91ea-44b1-95e1-7ad0e4623010_1.txt embyserver.txt

7 hours ago, brainfryd said:

Hi All, 

I have updated my server version 4.7.0.28 and re-tried playback, but no change, still have the jagged lines and color issues.
Updated logs attached with debugging enabled, in case you need them

brainfryd

ffmpeg-transcode-15aac63c-faae-4270-a11f-fc9ddfed210a_1.txt 137.61 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-e1a805b7-bf77-425c-bec1-2ea3a2d7ed37_1.txt 136.84 kB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-49d77456-91ea-44b1-95e1-7ad0e4623010_1.txt 60.95 kB · 0 downloads embyserver.txt 2.35MB · 0 downloads

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

brainfryd

Hi Luke

Sorry to take a while to respond... Just checking, this is the same as the app, I run on my android phone right ? as I used Apps2Fire to install this app from my phone to the FireTV

Results from this, were basically - no playback, just a spinning wheel (left it for 10 minutes to be sure).

If I exited out of the app and return back to FireTV home,  the audio would immediately start running in the background, but no way of switching to a stream. 

I'm assuming this client should have no ffmpeg logs, I have attached the server log with debug (I've only included the bits that relate to the IP of the device) 

embyserver (1).txt

On 3/3/2022 at 6:46 AM, brainfryd said:

Hi Luke

Sorry to take a while to respond... Just checking, this is the same as the app, I run on my android phone right ? as I used Apps2Fire to install this app from my phone to the FireTV

Results from this, were basically - no playback, just a spinning wheel (left it for 10 minutes to be sure).

If I exited out of the app and return back to FireTV home,  the audio would immediately start running in the background, but no way of switching to a stream. 

I'm assuming this client should have no ffmpeg logs, I have attached the server log with debug (I've only included the bits that relate to the IP of the device) 

embyserver (1).txt 401.31 kB · 0 downloads

What version did you try? Can you provide a copy of the recording for testing? Thanks.

brainfryd

Hi

The version I sideloaded was Emby for Android 3.2.35, is this the version you were expecting ?

I have attached some sample files. I hope its enough, but for reference, the same behaviour happens on any 4K content I have on my server

Oh and FWIW, I've updated the server version to latest 4.7.0.29

Brett 

1883 - S01E01 - Test1.mkv The Book of Boba Fett - S01E01 - Chapter 1 - Stranger in a Strange Land - Test.mkv

Edited by brainfryd
updated

See:

I'm going to put out a beta of the app that constrains the height to exactly 1080 and see if that corrects it.

PrendaBrittanix

Just wanted to add that this issue is also experienced on FireTV Cube and Firestick 4K. I have some old DVD Rips i did 10 or 11 years ago that are 720x576 with a 1024x576 PAR. They have played fine over the years on WMC, Emby, XBMC-Kodi, right until now on Emby. The affected files playback ok, but those green diagonal lines make the content unwatchable. The same media is working fine through web browser or through Emby app on Windows/Android Phone. They work fine on Kodi, VLC etc... just Emby app on FireTV they have an issue with playback.

I've included the details for one of the affected files from MediaInfo, in case it helps shine the light on anything.

image.png.ac6a538183597248759f6bebc7ba8f25.png

brainfryd

@ebr - see comment below -  new app version has solved the problem for me on my Fire TV stick.

Edited by brainfryd
updated device info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
crusher11

That's not a particularly helpful response, seeing as this is already a known issue.

I saw the other thread where there was something about changing the scaling width? I tested a PAL DVD, so I'm not sure how that affects things because I don't know whether it scales as part of the transcode in that case (as the TV and Fire stick are obviously both already capable of handling the source resolution).

1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

That's not a particularly helpful response, seeing as this is already a known issue.

Hi.  The known issue was solved.  Therefore, you must have some other combination of things happening or another outlier case of the issue so we will need specific details to find that.

You just saying "its happening again" does not help us find the issue.

Thanks.