TrueHD Audio Dropout on High Bitrate (50mps+) MKV's

goat999

rbjtech
21 minutes ago, goat999 said:

DTS 5.1 support is coming to Sonos Arc/Beam 2 etc.  No 7.1 but at least hey are moving in the right direction.

lol - a 30 year old codec - no support for DTS-HD.  Way to go Sonos .. 😂

At least DTS-HD includes a DTS 'Core' - so you will get 5.1 DTS even from a DTS-HD Only Track (or should do).

The problem with having a Sonos Arc is you have to have a TV that supports DTS passthrough which means all LG OLEDs are out.

I went with a Sony HT-A9 instead, also had a look at Sennheiser's Ambeo but my room isn't really good for it and I rather have 4 physical speakers than a single soundbar - although it is said to be the best out there.

Edited by neik
Added missing word for context
  • Agree 1

Ok so ignoring the Arc and all its downsides I assume we have come to brick wall with regards to my drop out issue?

To summarise 

Audio stutter when playing high bit rate files with TRUEHD when using Emby.

No audio stutter with Kodi but Kodi does not do Dolby Vision as well as Emby.  Non DV files also stutter when using Emby.

Direct file access seems to help marginally but not enough.  I would love to get DFA  working on my 2019 Shield but there is an issue with Direct file access and the BETA OS I am running.

Tempted to buy an HDFury Arcana and bypass TV completely for the sound but this is more money and more cables which I dont want.

Also its nice to to run the TV through the Arc as the speakers are shit.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, goat999 said:

Ok so ignoring the Arc and all its downsides I assume we have come to brick wall with regards to my drop out issue?

To summarise 

Audio stutter when playing high bit rate files with TRUEHD when using Emby.

No audio stutter with Kodi but Kodi does not do Dolby Vision as well as Emby.  Non DV files also stutter when using Emby.

Direct file access seems to help marginally but not enough.  I would love to get DFA  working on my 2019 Shield but there is an issue with Direct file access and the BETA OS I am running.

Tempted to buy an HDFury Arcana and bypass TV completely for the sound but this is more money and more cables which I dont want.

Also its nice to to run the TV through the Arc as the speakers are shit.

Is there any reason you need the BETA OS on the 2019 Shield ?

15 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Is there any reason you need the BETA OS on the 2019 Shield ?

Sorry I thought I replied to this last night.

No reason for the BETA OS, other than I installed it 3 weeks or so ago in the hope it might sort the issue out I have.  It seems to work ok apart from not showing network shares properly.

I have thought about flashing the unit back to a stock OS but as I had the issue with stock I cant see its worth the hassle.

Ok, so do we all admit defeat? 🙂

I feel I'm beaten.  Now tempted to get an HDFury Arcana and bypass tv to see if that's the issue but there is no truehd dropout with Kodi.

rbjtech

HDFury mention the Sonos Arc a lot in their literature - but I can't help feeling that £175 for what amounts to an HDMI switcher seems a lot of money.

1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

as much as I'd love a proper amp and speaker set-up I just cant be doing with speaker positioning, pulling carpet up to put speaker cable down etc.

The Arc for all its faults does sounds great with One SL rears, good enough for me anyway 🙂 and the set-up is minimalist, I like minimal, less stuff for my 5 year old girls to wreck 🙂

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel
On 11/19/2021 at 11:17 AM, FrostByte said:

I'll admit you should buy a new soundbar with HDMI input :)

Or, better yet, avoid soundbars if the space allows.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:44 PM, ebr said:

I would think this is very likely the solution.  I still don't think direct file access will have any effect on this issue.

@ebr - ref here was a commit change by Exoplayer in Sep for dropouts

How do we go about testing this?

FrostByte

I think ebr took another look at that Exoplayer TrueHD dropout bug and the patch was made to lav filters

However, Luke did mention updating Exoplayer in both Android apps so hopefully in the beta

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

However, Luke did mention updating Exoplayer in both Android apps so hopefully in the beta

fingers crossed 🙂  

Given up now tbh

6 hours ago, goat999 said:

ref here was a commit change by Exoplayer in Sep for dropouts

Hi.  The only commit I saw referenced was to LAVFilters which has nothing to do with Exoplayer.

• Like 1

So I haven't found the solution I wanted but have found an alternative/workaround.

Basically until now I had to choose between Emby with Dolby Vision and TrueHD dropout or Kodi with no Dolby Vison and TrueHD that works.

I've found a Kodi install (Kodi19DV-Final-libbluray-aarch64.apk) that plays high bitrate .MKV's in Dolby Vision with TrueHD perfectly.

Will install Embycon sometime in the next few days.

Still begs the question why Emby as the player doesn't work with my set-up.

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, goat999 said:

So I haven't found the solution I wanted but have found an alternative/workaround.

Basically until now I had to choose between Emby with Dolby Vision and TrueHD dropout or Kodi with no Dolby Vison and TrueHD that works.

I've found a Kodi install (Kodi19DV-Final-libbluray-aarch64.apk) that plays high bitrate .MKV's in Dolby Vision with TrueHD perfectly.

Will install Embycon sometime in the next few days.

Still begs the question why Emby as the player doesn't work with my set-up.

Did you ever try VLC? 

How about VLC as an external player to Emby ATV?  If VLC works as an external player to ATV that might point to Exoplayer being a problem

I've tried VLC as a standalone player and yes TrueHD is fine but no Dolby Vision.  Never tried to use its as an external player with Emby, though I guess the results will be exactly the same as using VLC as a standalone.

• Like 1

FrostByte
Just now, goat999 said:

I've tried VLC as a standalone player and yes TrueHD is fine but no Dolby Vision.  Never tried to use its as an external player with Emby, though I guess the results will be exactly the same as using VLC as a standalone.

You're probably right if it didn't trigger DV stand alone

Another option is the standard Emby Theater app for Android, but that is having a problem with DV itself

FrostByte

Let me rephrase that.  The standard Emby Android app is having issues playing HDR10 from a DV movie on a non DV TV.  It may work for you

7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Let me rephrase that.  The standard Emby Android app is having issues playing HDR10 from a DV movie on a non DV TV.  It may work for you

No good, same issue but was worth a try!

• Sad 1