TrueHD Audio Dropout on High Bitrate (50mps+) MKV's

goat999

36 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Also, I mentioned this in another thread where they were having issues with TrueHD.  There was a commit change by Exoplayer in Sep for dropouts

Properly account for the number of samples in every TrueHD audio fram…
…e when bitstreaming

Resolves an issue with A/V sync and possible audio skipping when
bitstreaming TrueHD

Properly account for the number of samples in every TrueHD audio fram… · Nevcairiel/LAVFilters@d5088c6 · GitHub

I would think this is very likely the solution.  I still don't think direct file access will have any effect on this issue.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Once the OP gets Direct File working I guess we'll find out.  👍

My money is on this fixing the issue as THD is not an issue on lower bandwidth media.

FrostByte

Here's a pic of my smb settings on my NAS.  The Shield now uses smb3 as of a few updates ago.

Also, as mentioned before make sure your server name shows up as all caps and that you're using all caps on the Shield.  For some reason it wasn't working for people that were using lower case letters.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4c7f4fdc6ba5b641a80a6e59d989c4a7.jpg

• Like 1

X-plore plays mkv's but wont play .mp4

VLC plays them fine.

smb set up correctly

going to try a different approach and set-up Emby on a Win 10 laptop tomorrow and see if I have the same problem.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, goat999 said:

X-plore plays mkv's but wont play .mp4

VLC plays them fine.

smb set up correctly

going to try a different approach and set-up Emby on a Win 10 laptop tomorrow and see if I have the same problem.

ok - so the shield > nas mounting all looks good - so the question is why is emby not picking up the same mount points ?

Can you post a screen grab of your library settings - specifically the Optional path ?

Setting up on Windows is a good to check this actually fixes the issue BUT it may cloud the issue if it's cpu/throughput related - ie it may work ok using http using the laptop.. 

i've set up emby b4 on laptop and same truehd audio drop out issue, but I havent tried direct file access so I'll give it a go.

One thing that is starting to nag me though  is that the  Shield is running a BETA OS which could possibly be the problem. Everything else works fine so I think not but I guess its worth mentioning.

FrostByte

Maybe @ebr can update the Exoplayer with that TrueHD patch for beta testing just in case that helps.

Also, have you tried sideloading the standard Android app to see if that does the same?

rbjtech

I've just watched Mission Impossible I followed by Mission Impossible II back to back - full 4K DV Remux (60Mbit+/sec) with TrueHD via emby on the Shield Pro (File Mode) - Zero issues with TrueHD .. so while the patch may fix 'something', the current Exo works perfectly fine for me - and there is nothing particularly special with my setup. 

You need to get File Mode working ! 🤪

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

its the beta Shield experience thats the issue.  Only reason I installed the f**king thing was to see if it cured the drop out issue.

I have a Shield 2015 and its fine with direct file access.  Network shows the correct folder size where as on the 2019 its always 0b.

Before trying the 2015 I factory reset the 2019.  X-plore now displays an error message No Activity found to handle Intent {act=android.settings.MANAGE_APP_ALL_FILES_ACCESS_PERMISSION dat=package:com.lonelycatgames.Xplore}

Xplore has file access so not sure why i am getting this but may shed light onto why the 2019 cannot see the shares correctly.  Shares arent showing in Xplore either where as before the reset they did.

rbjtech

oh wow ok - a bit of a mess.

So I guess the question is on the Shield 2015 where direct file access is working - do you get any TrueHD issues in Emby if setup to use Direct File ?

Tested the 2015 with direct file access and still getting the drop outs.  It maybe marginally better but still makes for an unwatchable experience.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, goat999 said:

Tested the 2015 with direct file access and still getting the drop outs.  It maybe marginally better but still makes for an unwatchable experience.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, goat999 said:

Cr*p - that's disappointing.

Is this over wired or wireless Ethernet ?

If wireless, do you have the ability to test via wired ?

rbjtech

:( then I'm outa ideas with your setup I'm afraid.

Maybe I'm lucky, as I have zero issues with TrueHD even on 100Mbit+ 4K Remux's - but the big difference is I have no need to use (e)ARC - the Shield is plugged directly into my Denon AVR.

Edited by rbjtech

Deathsquirrel
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

:( then I'm outa ideas with your setup I'm afraid.

Maybe I'm lucky, as I have zero issues with TrueHD even on 100Mbit+ 4K Remux's - but the big difference is I have no need to use (e)ARC - the Shield is plugged directly into my Denon AVR.

Likewise no issues but also have this setup.  Is anyone having this issue that runs their shield audio to their receiver first?

FrostByte

Yes, my Shield is also plugged directly into my soundbar and file access is working great also.  Maybe routing through the TV first is causing an issue with the dropped audio

5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Yes, my Shield is also plugged directly into my soundbar and file access is working great also.  Maybe routing through the TV first is causing an issue with the dropped audio

But using kodi the audio is fine so I can't see how it can be the TV.

CBers
8 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Likewise no issues but also have this setup.  Is anyone having this issue that runs their shield audio to their receiver first?

8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

My Shield is plugged into my Soundbar and then to the TV.

No issues at all playing anything via HTTP.

I have to use HTTP as the FILE method is very inconsistent for me, always has been.

rbjtech
8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Would "Jumbo Frame" be a factor as mentioned in other topic?

I haven't read the topic, but I highly doubt this - Jumbo Frames relates to the TCP packet size and unless both client and server are using them (and the switch can handle them), then it's just going to result in packet fragmentation.  For this type of data transfer, there is zero need to use it - we are transferring @ max 100Mbit/sec at the end of the day - so any 1gig connection using standard MTU should easily handle it without the need to make it more efficient.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, CBers said:

My Shield is plugged into my Soundbar and then to the TV.

No issues at all playing anything via HTTP.

I have to use HTTP as the FILE method is very inconsistent for me, always has been.

Does his include the TrueHD Audio Codec's @CBers - this will need to all be via eARC - ARC does not have the bandwidth.

What brand of soundbar/tv is it ?

CBers
13 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Does his include the TrueHD Audio Codec's @CBers - this will need to all be via eARC - ARC does not have the bandwidth.

What brand of soundbar/tv is it ?

ARC is not involved, as the Shield is connected directly to the LG SJ9 soundbar and then from that to the TV, so only the video is passed to the TV.

• Like 1

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, CBers said:

ARC is not involved, as the Shield is connected directly to the LG SJ9 soundbar and then from that to the TV, so only the video is passed to the TV.

Ah ha - so the LG has two (or more) HDMI inputs - so this is the major difference as you say, as ARC is not needed.

Personally for the cost of the Sonos Arc, I would have expected it to have more than one HDMI port !

CBers
25 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Personally for the cost of the Sonos Arc, I would have expected it to have more than one HDMI port !

That's Sonos all over for you 🙄

I've been a long time Sonos user and beta tester (Play1, Play5, PlayBar, Beam), but they've always had limitations, especially when it comes to DTS playback !!

It's only the new ARC that has Atmos support.

26 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah ha - so the LG has two (or more) HDMI inputs - so this is the major difference as you say, as ARC is not needed.

Yes, 2.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
35 minutes ago, CBers said:

I've been a long time Sonos user and beta tester (Play1, Play5, PlayBar, Beam), but they've always had limitations, especially when it comes to DTS playback !!

Ah yes, forgot all about the lack of any form of DTS support - crazy.