Transcode to AV1

MagicDoubleM

MagicDoubleM

I just want to bring up attention to AV1 as additional target codec for transcoding and comverting video. It's supposed to further reduce bitrates, which can be great in situations with limited bandwidth.

Hardware players start to have support, with the Max version of Amazon's 4k FireTV sticks being a very popular and cheap option.

Hardware Encoding is coming for sure too.

So if/when HEVC gets added for transcoding, AV1 should be kept in mind too.

And for conversations, things might actually be already there, since ffmpeg does have a encoder integrated.

• Like 1

MagicDoubleM

I thought so too, but depending on settings it's already an interesting alternative to x265 software encoding.

Here is a quick find, which is a bit older, but things usually don't get worse in that regard:

https://medium.com/@ewoutterhoeven/av1-is-ready-for-prime-time-svt-av1-beats-x265-and-libvpx-in-quality-bitrate-and-speed-31c1960703db

I hope the next generation of GPUs will get an hw-encoder (and be available in numbers for retail prices 😂).

clarkss12

Mecool is already including the AV1 hardware support into their Android boxes, and it works very well when testing that video codec using YouTube.

So, far I have not **seen** any native media that is encoded in that AV1 video codec.  Where would you find that codec other than YouTube test videos?

• Like 1

MagicDoubleM

I remember Netflix also was very interested, but don't know how far they are with that.

But commercial adoption isn't really a thing yet, even though it would be interesting for everyone who is doing some kind of VOD. I bet you can find a few encodes on "shady" sources, there's always someone there trying these things. 😅

Privately and for use with emby in particular, things are becoming interesting. To a) allow better quality for clients with slow connections (i don't care about cpu, as long as the girl on a trip gets more pixels) and b) to reencode archives to reduce storage needs.

SikSlayer

Both the current Gen AMD and Nvidia cards support AV1 decoding.

YouTube supports AV1.

My LG CX OLED from last year, whose successor is gonna get replaced in mere months, also supports it. 

Better to start working on it now, rather than just pushing it away for later with excuses.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, SikSlayer said:

Both the current Gen AMD and Nvidia cards support AV1 decoding.

YouTube supports AV1.

My LG CX OLED from last year, whose successor is gonna get replaced in mere months, also supports it. 

Better to start working on it now, rather than just pushing it away for later with excuses.

As does Intel 11th and 12th Gen - Quick Sync supports AV1 Decode.

But for transcoding - you need AV1 Encode - and I'm not aware of any hardware currently supporting this ... so it will be some time yet before this is well supported. 

19 hours ago, rbjtech said:

But for transcoding - you need AV1 Encode - and I'm not aware of any hardware currently supporting this

Correct.

SikSlayer
On 11/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, rbjtech said:

As does Intel 11th and 12th Gen - Quick Sync supports AV1 Decode.

But for transcoding - you need AV1 Encode - and I'm not aware of any hardware currently supporting this ... so it will be some time yet before this is well supported. 

Who asked for hardware encode? It was only stated it will come in the future. There's still software encoding, and hardware decoding is here now. Why wait? This is a feature that can save on bandwidth.

As I said, it's better to start working on this stuff now, than scrambling to do it when the competition suddenly comes up with it.

SikSlayer
On 11/4/2021 at 12:31 PM, MagicDoubleM said:

I remember Netflix also was very interested, but don't know how far they are with that.

But commercial adoption isn't really a thing yet, even though it would be interesting for everyone who is doing some kind of VOD. I bet you can find a few encodes on "shady" sources, there's always someone there trying these things. 😅

Privately and for use with emby in particular, things are becoming interesting. To a) allow better quality for clients with slow connections (i don't care about cpu, as long as the girl on a trip gets more pixels) and b) to reencode archives to reduce storage needs.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/22775150/netflix-av1-codec-tv-streaming-ps4-pro

I see the cycle repeats. First it was H.264, and then HEVC. And now I'm seeing the same thing with AV1. We still don't even have a HEVC HW transcoding as an option. Folks were asking for YEARS about HEVC, and now the replacement codec is here, fully open source, getting support, and all I'm seeing is the same excuses... AGAIN.

MagicDoubleM
On 11/11/2021 at 4:06 PM, SikSlayer said:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/22775150/netflix-av1-codec-tv-streaming-ps4-pro

I see the cycle repeats. First it was H.264, and then HEVC. And now I'm seeing the same thing with AV1. We still don't even have a HEVC HW transcoding as an option. Folks were asking for YEARS about HEVC, and now the replacement codec is here, fully open source, getting support, and all I'm seeing is the same excuses... AGAIN.

I wouldn't be so negative. The "excuses" were valid for a long time. For example hardware transcoding to hevc via Nvidia GPUs wasn't that feature rich until lately it became more interesting with support for b-frames. It just wouldn't have made a massive difference before, but it would have needed some greater work than just switching some parameters in the ffmpeg-call.

10bit/HDR-encoding also wasn't on the radar until, well, the rise of HDR content.

It's similar with AV1, for practical use it's too early right now, but keeping an eye on it makes sense, especially when HEVC gets implemented, since that makes a lot of sense now.

Edited by MagicDoubleM