Apple announcement

mangis

Cheesegeezer

Should I be worried as an apple user to see  dev's making fun of ios  ;)

For the most part a normal apple user will be fine with their closed system.

Thats to say and these are a few of my gripes with their business model...

enabling bluetooth only actually allows you to connect to a hands free set, no file transfer.

The only way to add files is thru a laptop/mac either via usb or wifi thru itunes.

No usb ports to increase available storage

media formats are very strict on codecs and containers allowed forcing you to buy apps to play other containers

No direct downloading to your device, again you need apps that do this but have to connect to pc to retrieve them.

Safari!!! Nuff said. I use chrome.

If you only own a phone and your missus or friends are on another device then you're not really locked in, but start adding ipads into the mix, or a mac and you soon feel like you are stuck with apple and very quickly.

Just my tuppence

It definitely has its plus and minuses. I also prefer chrome. Also agree about the ecosystem but they sucked me in years ago for phones and ipads now im in it and everything else feels foreign. I actually just had a conversation with a friend who works in IT and he just cant leave either.

However I was more so referring to mb3 on apple devices though :)

Doesnt seem alot of devs here use apple products. While darwin is working on ios it probably wouldnt hurt if he had devs using apple products that could lend a hand or troubleshoot. Us mere mortal users can only complain and ask where our features are. 

I guess this also means no mb3 app for my new Iwatch (j/K).

Edited by Ghostm

Cheesegeezer

It definitely has its plus and minuses. I also prefer chrome. Also agree about the ecosystem but they sucked me in years ago for phones and ipads now im in it and everything else feels foreign. I actually just had a conversation with a friend who works in IT and he just cant leave either.

However I was more so referring to mb3 on apple devices though :)

Doesnt seem alot of devs here use apple products. While darwin is working on ios it probably wouldnt hurt if he had devs using apple products that could lend a hand or troubleshoot. Us mere mortal users can only complain and ask where our features are. 

I guess this also means no mb3 app for my new Iwatch (j/K).

Well I help out Darwin with Testing as does sfnetwork and a couple of others.  I wouldn't be worried for lack of devs using apple products, it's a personal preference for them.  Also the price of an Apple product is at least 50% more expensive, so more bang for buck with other devices, which is very offputting to buy an apple product.  

The one thing I refuse to buy is a Mac or Mac Book, underpowered and overpriced.

We are stuck with apple to in our house, but the UI and Navigation is more fluid and instant than other devices i've used and that is a big plus for them.  One of my good friends switched from a Galaxy 4 to a 5c and she loves the iphone. 

The one thing I refuse to buy is a Mac or Mac Book, underpowered and overpriced.

And for us devs, that is the real rub.  It is impossible to develop for the Apple platform without a Mac.  

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

And for us devs, that is the real rub.  It is impossible to develop for the Apple platform without a Mac.  

Yup using VM Workstation or something similar. ;)

Deathsquirrel

I can't quite figure out what the point to the watch is.  It can't replace the way we use our smartphones.  The screen is too small for that.  The phone can replace the watch but not the other way around and I HAVE to carry the phone.  Work insists.

It's a very pretty solution in search of a problem though, I'll grant it that.  Only product like that that I've seen that I don't find unattractive.

Not figuring out the point to the watch isn't apple-specific. the whole industry will have to answer that question. as it stands now, the apple watch is leaps and bounds ahead of the others. unfortunately for apple though, it's not going to take the other players years to catch up like with the original iphone. by gen 2 i'm sure it will be a level playing field. but still, job well done on their part for the initial offering.

fantaxp7

I think this article is kinda interesting comparing specs of the new iPhone 6+ to others http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-plus-specs-versus-samsung-galaxy-note-4-lg-g3/

I think a lot of people will be swayed by the numbers, more is better type thing, but quality matters and of course battery life...who the hell needs that many pixels in a phone? Also 4k recording....battery life will be like 4 minutes.

I would assume the 6+ will be the best option out of those three listed for more practical reasons instead of more "more" reasons.

Beardyname

I think this article is kinda interesting comparing specs of the new iPhone 6+ to others http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-plus-specs-versus-samsung-galaxy-note-4-lg-g3/

I think a lot of people will be swayed by the numbers, more is better type thing, but quality matters and of course battery life...who the hell needs that many pixels in a phone? Also 4k recording....battery life will be like 4 minutes.

I would assume the 6+ will be the best option out of those three listed for more practical reasons instead of more "more" reasons.

excuse me? "practical" reasons? We are talking about phones in the "high-end" Nothing about them are more or less practical than a phone half that price :P

• Like 1