Emby not Visible to Roku Players

eewiz

I have a Hisense Roku TV , a Roku 1 stand alone player and copy of VLC media player on a windows box.

I installed Emby into a Truenas jail.

The 8069 web interface works fine.

Neither of the Roku players nor the VLC player saw an Emby DLNA server.

From everything I read it appeared to be a Truenas firewall issue not letting DLNA in.

I did this in a console for the jail.

sysrc pf_enable="NO"
sysrc pflog_enable="NO"
sysrc firewall_enable="NO"
sysre ipfilter_enable="NO"

I also did this in the main console for Truenas.

sysrc pf_enable="NO"
sysrc pflog_enable="NO"
sysrc firewall_enable="NO"
sysre ipfilter_enable="NO"

Then I rebooted the Truenas.

I had no idea what firewall was in my way so I just turned them all off.

I think that's all of them.

Now both Roku's show TWO Emby's.

The Hisense Roku TV shows one Emby with no logo and one with the normal green Emby logo.

The Emby without the logo works. The emby with the logo just spins forever when selected.

But, the Roku 1 on another TV shows both emby's with no logo and both just spin forever when selected.

Now while checking the Roku1 to write this post correctly I find that both Embys have now disappeared.

The Hisense TV has not changed, still two Embys, the non-logo one works and the logo one spins forever.

After turning off the firewalls, Emby now shows up in the VLC player.

There is only one instance of Emby and it works as expected.

Please can someone help to get Emby hosted on Truenas to work with my two Roku players.

Is it something else with the Truenas jail?

Is it something in Emby?

My Roku players have been playing DLNA from a Serviio server hosted on a windows box without a hitch for years now.

Does anyone know why Emby DLNA on Truenas works so poorly.

Does Emby DLNA work this poorly if hosted on Linux or Windows?

Thank You

Hi.  I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this issue with more details but just wanted to be sure you knew we have a Roku app (channel in their lingo) which would allow you much better access to your server.

Yes, I'm ready and able to help troubleshoot DLNA connectivity.

I tried Roku's Emby plugin on both my Rokus.

On both, I had to search manually because no server was found. In both cases it worked though.

I have another Emby server running on a Windows machine that will eventually be decommissioned and replaced by Emby on Truenas and this server was discovered by the Roku Emby plugin.

I installed Emby on the Windows machine to experiment with before I made the leap away from Serviio on Windows to Emby on Truenas.

Although, I now realize that I had left it running for the last month.

And, I also realized that it has not appeared DLNA-wise on my Rokus for that whole month.

I know without doubt that I do not have any firewall issues on that Windows box.

Thank You

9 hours ago, eewiz said:

On both, I had to search manually because no server was found. In both cases it worked though.

That probably means that something is blocking UDP on the machine running the server.  The same thing (firewall, AV) may be blocking DLNA.

I suppose I can live with having to use the app you pointed to above.

At this point I can't say much about the nature of firewalls, AV etc... on a Truenas box.

But I can address the functionality of Emby's DLNA on my windows box.

Serviio has run in fine DLNA fashion on this windows box for years.

My Rokus have been viewing from this server without a hitch.

I install Emby on the same box beside Servio and Emby fails to be seen by the Rokus.

It appears to me to be an issue with Emby.

All for now.

An update.

The windows Emby server (4.6.4.0) did not have the Blast Alive checked.

I checked it and set it to 30 seconds.

The windows Emby server then appeared to the Rokus.

The Truenas Emby server (4.7.0.15 beta) has had Blast Alive checked and set to 30 all along.

I looked at Emby's and Serviio's windows firewall records and found nothing definitive.

They both say the same thing, for example; if it's Emby and it's TCP, let it in, because all other discriminating selections are set to allow, any, any, any, etc...

The record for Serviio says the same identical thing except that the set program is now changed to Serviio.

How does the windows firewall know what program a packet is destined for.

The windows firewall would have to search all listening ports to find the port addressed in the incoming packet to see if the listening program of that port has a record in the firewall allowing anything to pass through to it.

I have no idea if the Truenas firewall has anything like a similar feature.

As far as I have gleaned, there are at least 3 possible firewalls in Truenas like, ipfw, iptables, pf and maybe more possibilities.

I've done, sysrc pf_enable="NO", sysrc pflog_enable="NO", sysrc firewall_enable="NO" and sysrc ipfilter_enable="NO" to try to turn them off.

But, I don't know. I have no idea how to tell if any of these firewalls are installed, enabled, disabled, of whatever.

Also, I did all of the above commands in the main Truenas Console as well as the jail's console because I can't find any clear definition of the networking stack in Truenas.

Is the Truenas main firewall in series with a jail's firewall? I don't know.

Does the main interface have a firewall? Does a jail have a firewall? If so, what firewall?

So, if Emby's DLNA failure on Truenas is due to a firewall issue, I would have no idea how to troubleshoot that without step by step instructions.

I'm sorry, I can't be of more help.

There just appears to be nowhere to find answers.

Thank You

Yes, Emby server's DLNA feature works on my windows box as long as I have "Blast Alive" checked.

But, my windows box is due to be replaced by the truenas box so, I will have to depend on the Emby Roku channel plugin to view from the truenas server.

If y'all do set up a VM and figure out how to make your truenas plugin work or create by-hand installation instructions, please let us poor windows users know how to do it.

Thank You