Fanart not loading on Android TV app ( version 2 onwards)

dowex15721
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

dowex15721

I started experiencing this issue when the android tv app was updated to version 2 and above. I am running the emby server on a raspberry pi 4 , 4 gm , debian buster. With a rclone mount from google drive as a source for content. All metadata images are in the media folder itself.

When i connect to the server using the emby android TV app, the fanart images dont load . The same images work fine if i switch to an older version of the android tv app say 1.8.10 or something. The same images work fine on Kodi also . Can anyone guide me as to how I go about debugging this?

GrimReaper

It might (or might not) be the same issue as here:

If you're not already, try beta .50, as .49 did increase image loading timeout, might help:

Anyway, @rodainas might have a suggestion or two, seeing using rclone. 

dowex15721

The issue I have is exactly the same as the one described in the given thread. However,  I did install the 2.0.50 beta and im having the same issues :(

rodainas
47 minutes ago, dowex15721 said:

The issue I have is exactly the same as the one described in the given thread. However,  I did install the 2.0.50 beta and im having the same issues :(

What’s your rclone mount command?

Also on that thread it was suggested to uninstall a bunch of unused plugins.

dowex15721
43 minutes ago, rodainas said:

What’s your rclone mount command?

Also on that thread it was suggested to uninstall a bunch of unused plugins.

Here's my mount command

rclone mount gdrive:/ /home/<user>/gdrive --config=/home/<user>/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode writes --dir-cache-time 72h --drive-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off 

And here is the list of my plug-ins.  I additionally only installed trakt and subtitle plug-ins. I can live without the subtitle plug-ins but trakt is essential

Blu-ray folder support

Cinema intros

Dlna, dvd folder support

Fanart.tv, moviedb, music rain, nfo Metadata, omdb,  opensubtitles, podnapisi, port mapper, studio images, subdb, audiodb, tvdb, trakt, webhooks

rodainas
2 minutes ago, dowex15721 said:

Here's my mount command

rclone mount gdrive:/ /home/<user>/gdrive --config=/home/<user>/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode writes --dir-cache-time 72h --drive-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off 

And here is the list of my plug-ins.  I additionally only installed trakt and subtitle plug-ins. I can live without the subtitle plug-ins but trakt is essential

Blu-ray folder support

Cinema intros

Dlna, dvd folder support

Fanart.tv, moviedb, music rain, nfo Metadata, omdb,  opensubtitles, podnapisi, port mapper, studio images, subdb, audiodb, tvdb, trakt, webhooks

This are my flags

rclone mount --allow-other --fast-list --  --timeout 1h --transfers=16 --checkers=8 --tpslimit 10 --max-read-ahead=256M --poll-interval=1m --dir-cache-time 1000h --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-cache-max-age 1h --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 2048M  --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --buffer-size 64M

Try uninstalling everything except trakt and your subtitle plugin, I kept trakt and subtitles plugins too.

After the image loading fix I haven’t restarted the server, who knows maybe with a restart it comes back, am not really sure because of the inconsistent nature of the symptoms is hard to reach a conclusion, some time ago it fixed randomly and couple of weeks it started appeared again until the timeout beta update fix.

dowex15721

I tried uninstalling a few add ons but no good. The thing is, the issue only happens on Android Tv... The android phone app works just fine.

Another weird thing is fanart does load for like 10% of the movies/shows.

rodainas
17 minutes ago, dowex15721 said:

I tried uninstalling a few add ons but no good. The thing is, the issue only happens on Android Tv... The android phone app works just fine.

Yep that was exactly my issue on those threads.

23 hours ago, dowex15721 said:

Did you try the beta of the app?

Okay, I see now that you did.  That doesn't surprise me as I didn't expect the beta to impact the backdrop loading - which means @rodainas experience is coincidental.

dowex15721
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Did you try the beta of the app?

Okay, I see now that you did.  That doesn't surprise me as I didn't expect the beta to impact the backdrop loading - which means @rodainas experience is coincidental.

So i made another discovery... If the media is on a local storage (usb hdd connected to the pi),  all images load perfectly, 100% of the time. The issue pops up only when accessing files on gdrive.

Still I don't think it's a gdrive or rclone issue,  because the images load on

1. Older android tv app versions

2. Latest android phone versions

3. Latest Web app of the server

Edit

So I definitely think its an issue related to loading of the fanart on the latest android tv apps from a cloud source as it takes a little more time compared to local storage

Edited by dowex15721

12 minutes ago, dowex15721 said:

The issue pops up only when accessing files on gdrive.

Okay, that makes sense.  It is just taking a lot longer to get to those images.

dowex15721
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, that makes sense.  It is just taking a lot longer to get to those images.

What is the way forward then?

Just now, dowex15721 said:

What is the way forward then?

I'll continue to try and find a workaround.  Right now, increasing the timeout on the backdrops has a very bad side-effect that I'm not willing to live with so I have to see if there is any other way.

• Thanks 1

dowex15721

Does emby have a bug system where this could be tracked? Or does this not qualify as a bug?

I'm sorry if this not the right place to ask

5 hours ago, dowex15721 said:

Does emby have a bug system where this could be tracked? Or does this not qualify as a bug?

I'm sorry if this not the right place to ask

Hi.  We track this internally.  We are looking into acceptable work-arounds.

rodainas
36 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please try this with the latest beta of the app?

Interesting, this one is working for me.

Apart from fanart other problem was with the old versions, when going to details screen for a movie/show the fist time the poster and clearlogo didnt load, so I had to enter a second time to details screen to at least force load those 2 with the absent fanart.

This version appears to finally fix the delayed image problem with cloud libraries mounted through rclone.

Thanks for all the effort and interest on fixing this, this is one of the reasons I support emby and this type of things are what marks the difference with the competition.

Edited by rodainas
edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Interesting, this one is working for me

Excellent.  Thanks for reporting back.

dowex15721
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please try this with the latest beta of the app?

Works like a charm :) . It takes a couple of seconds extra for some shows,  but loads 100% of the time. I'm very happy,  kudos to the emby team.

• Thanks 1