Need help with an audiobook metadata plugin I am building

azoth
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I have built a plugin that is able to grab audiobook metadata from Audible using their kind of unpublished API... At some point when I iron out the matching logic, I'm hoping to publish the plugin here if not in the official plugin repo.

Everything is working pretty well, but I would like to add the ability to automatically create collections based on the series information that comes back from Audible. I can't seem to find any documentation on how to create a collection. I tried just adding a LinkedItemInfo in the collections array when I return the MusicAlbum, but that doesn't work (I am assuming this is because the collection doesn't exist yet). I mean I could make a callout to the right endpoint but that doesn't feel like the best way to do it. Can anyone provide an example or maybe the interfaces I would need to implement to get that working? I'm thinking that it would have to be a PostScanTask since adding the LinkedItemInfo doesn't work, but if there's a way to do it when I grab that information from Audible in the AlbumMetadataProvider that would be awesome!

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, azoth said:

from Audible using their kind of unpublished API

Unless you have permission from Audible to use their data, I'm afraid we cannot publish that plug-in.

That makes sense, eventually my plan is to source the data from an open service I am building, but this is a QOL stop gap for my own sanity using Emby as my audiobook streamer. Any ideas for the auto collections?

Your metadata provider can populate the Collections property similar to what MovieDb does, or exactly like what it does rather.

The user will still have to enable it in library options for the core server to utilize it.

Ok good to know it's possible. Is there a way to look at how the MovieDb does it? I don't think the Emby source code on GitHub is very relevant anymore, but I could be wrong. Thanks for your help!

It's really just a matter of filling out the Collections list in the same way you'd do for Genres, Studios, etc.

Hmm... The only difference appears to be that Collections and ImportedCollections are arrays of LinkedItemInfo vs Genres, Studios and the like being just arrays of strings. The problem I'm seeing is that:

Collections = [new LinkedItemInfo
{
	Name = "<seriesTitle>"
}]

Just does not work. Is there something else that needs to happen? Also you said that the end user will need to configure the library, but I'm not seeing any option for collections on the Audiobook library type.

• Solution

The metadata provider class also has to implement IHasMetadataFeatures in order for the option to show up in library options.

• 1 year later...
mickle026
1 hour ago, jprobins007 said:

Is this plugin available somewhere?

I dont know if this particular plugin was finished

However I did attempt a plugin for audiobooks here, the problem being audiobooks are a hack of music internally in emby.  Also there is no real metadata sites for them, just have to scrape websites which is not officially allowed with emby.  Im not sure if my plugin still works but ti costs nothing to try it.

17 minutes ago, mickle026 said:

I dont know if this particular plugin was finished

However I did attempt a plugin for audiobooks here, the problem being audiobooks are a hack of music internally in emby.  Also there is no real metadata sites for them, just have to scrape websites which is not officially allowed with emby.  Im not sure if my plugin still works but ti costs nothing to try it.

It may have started as a clone of music but it has grown into it's own thing.

mickle026
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

It may have started as a clone of music but it has grown into it's own thing.

Has the crossover of items not being updated issue been fixed then as described here ? - here certain things were not populated in the metadata editor, but were added and displayed in client displays.  SO I think they were added correctly but the metadata editor not displaying all the data correctly? - if it is fixed I might revisit this plugin ....

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 6:23 PM, mickle026 said:

Has the crossover of items not being updated issue been fixed then as described here ? - here certain things were not populated in the metadata editor, but were added and displayed in client displays.  SO I think they were added correctly but the metadata editor not displaying all the data correctly? - if it is fixed I might revisit this plugin ....

We can add more info for editing in the metadata editor. Thanks.