Media files "in the cloud"

cgrey000

cgrey000

Hi,

Using a service like Bitcasa, google drive, etc... I'd love to have a way to play back media files I have stored in the cloud on the client of my choosing (Web, Android, XBMBC3) WITHOUT the need for them to go "through" my MB server.

I already sort of do this (store some media on Bitcasa), but it's the "going through the MB server" that I'm try to manage. I thought "path substitution" for Windows might work but it doesn't seem to do what I thought it would in this specific case.

The way it seems today, if I play back media stored in the cloud I am "downloading" it in real time to the server, then playing it from the server to the client - two active network connections at the server, one in from the cloud and one out to the client.

What I'd really like is for the server to somehow tell the client that the file isn't local, and where it is, and have the client play it directly from the cloud location. This would be especially useful if I am not at home where my server is. The client shoud still connect to the server remotely to browse the library, but when I choose to play a cloud-based file, have it play directly from where the file lives (and not have to go "through" my house to get to me).

Any thoughts on this becoming part of MB, or is it already possible with path substitution (for windows, anyway) and I'm just doing something wrong?

Edit: As I think more about this, I realize transcoding would be an issue in this scenario. For my purposes, I'd be fine with this "feature" only working in "direct play" mode - with the media failing to play if the client doesn't support the format. It could/should be up to me to ensure any media I want to be able to play from the cloud is "supported" by my client(s) for direct play.

Edited by cgrey000