Remote fire sticks will not connect to my server

bandit8623

bandit8623
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

We haven't added that ability yet to that app, so until that happens your ssl certificate has to be something the device trusts.

so is there away around besides turning off https or having them sideload?

bandit8623
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Using another certificate.

Hopefully a bulletin gets put up that you can't use no-ip a for ssl..  I wouldn't have gone through this all to find this out after the fact...

bandit8623
On 10/25/2021 at 9:24 PM, Luke said:

We haven't added that ability yet to that app, so until that happens your ssl certificate has to be something the device trusts.

can i ask if this is in the works? 

thanks

5 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

can i ask if this is in the works? 

It is in our plans but, ultimately, a trusted certificate is the best solution.  There are couple of topics out here recently on how to update the certificate on the server.

bandit8623
5 hours ago, ebr said:

It is in our plans but, ultimately, a trusted certificate is the best solution.  There are couple of topics out here recently on how to update the certificate on the server.

My cert is trusted.. just apparently not by Amazon...  All other devices don't get the popup saying to trust.  They just work. So it seems to be an Amazon problem

Edited by bandit8623

pwhodges

It's not the certificate itself, it's a matter of the root certificate in the client that is used to verify it.  If that root certificate is out of date, then there will be a failure.  Specific devices may have out-of-date roots while others are OK - a recent thread discussed LetsEncrypt certs failing on some LG televisions for the same reason. 

Paul

bandit8623
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

It's not the certificate itself, it's a matter of the root certificate in the client that is used to verify it.  If that root certificate is out of date, then there will be a failure.  Specific devices may have out-of-date roots while others are OK - a recent thread discussed LetsEncrypt certs failing on some LG televisions for the same reason. 

Paul

Thx Paul.  

bandit8623

well sideloaded the latest app on my firestick today and the keyboard will not pop up to enter any info.   rebooted reinstalled...  nothing.  was over at a family members house today and tried their firestick and no keyboard when using the sideloaded app...

the sideloaded app last week worked,  so something is up with an update?

rbjtech

Hi - So I had another go at connecting - and it is 100% a Trust issue with that cert.

I used the Amazon Silk browser on my FireTV to connect and I get the Cert Authority Not Trusted message - If I confirm it, then I can connect - you'll see the attempts in your log. 

So in summary for FireTV usage, you can either 1) change your TLS/Cert provider 2) Possibly use Amazon Silk (not a good user experience!) or 3) Wait for Emby to add the option in the FireTV App to accept the unsupported cert.

I'd suggest going with #1 - as having a Trust issue on your cert may lead to all sort of other issues in time. 

FYI - Amazon has no issues with Let's Encrypt as a CA on a Gen 2 FireTV.

bandit8623
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Hi - So I had another go at connecting - and it is 100% a Trust issue with that cert.

I used the Amazon Silk browser on my FireTV to connect and I get the Cert Authority Not Trusted message - If I confirm it, then I can connect - you'll see the attempts in your log. 

So in summary for FireTV usage, you can either 1) change your TLS/Cert provider 2) Possibly use Amazon Silk (not a good user experience!) or 3) Wait for Emby to add the option in the FireTV App to accept the unsupported cert.

I'd suggest going with #1 - as having a Trust issue on your cert may lead to all sort of other issues in time. 

FYI - Amazon has no issues with Let's Encrypt as a CA on a Gen 2 FireTV.

option 1 isnt a good option as ive already set it up and its working on everything but fire sticks.  second there is no way to know if other certs could have a problem down the road...  

really sad that the fire tv app just doesnt have the option to accept a cert... 

i appreciate the help..  just seems silly to be limited to letsencrypt

Edited by bandit8623

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

i appreciate the help..  just seems silly to be limited to letsencrypt

No I was just saying that letsencrypt is fine as they had a large change earlier last month that took out a few devices, but FireTV was not one of them - I've not heard of any FireTV cert issues, except yours unfortunately .. :(

Edited by rbjtech

37 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

option 1 isnt a good option as ive already set it up and its working on everything but fire sticks

I disagree in that correcting the certificate is definitely the best option going forward as there is no telling what other issues may crop up in the future from this. 

We will eventually get the ability to accept untrusted certs in the app but getting a proper trusted cert is still the best thing to do to avoid possible future issues.

• Agree 1

bandit8623
33 minutes ago, ebr said:

I disagree in that correcting the certificate is definitely the best option going forward as there is no telling what other issues may crop up in the future from this. 

We will eventually get the ability to accept untrusted certs in the app but getting a proper trusted cert is still the best thing to do to avoid possible future issues.

but its not my certs problem is the fire sticks.  no other devices give any warning about a bad cert (chrome,  firefox, opera, ).  how is it no-ips fault if amazon doesnt trust it?

Edited by bandit8623

36 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

but its not my certs problem is the fire sticks.  no other devices give any warning about a bad cert (chrome,  firefox, opera, ).  how is it no-ips fault if amazon doesnt trust it?

It's not about whose fault it is. On amazon devices, we have to play by amazon's rules, and they can choose the certificates they want to trust as they please.

bandit8623
29 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's not about whose fault it is. On amazon devices, we have to play by amazon's rules, and they can choose the certificates they want to trust as they please.

Right.. and so shouldn't it be a priority to update the app to let us allow the cert?

Fixed everyone's issues across the board

Edited by bandit8623

1 hour ago, bandit8623 said:

but its not my certs problem is the fire sticks

Not exactly as an intermediate of your certificate is expired.  Correcting that will correct the problem on the Fire and any other device that also would not trust that expired cert.

For now, you can use the standard Android app to get around this if desired.

bandit8623
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

Not exactly as an intermediate of your certificate is expired.  Correcting that will correct the problem on the Fire and any other device that also would not trust that expired cert.

For now, you can use the standard Android app to get around this if desired.

i cant as the keyboard wont pop up on the apk as of 3 days ago.  i havent heard back if its fixed

2 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

i cant as the keyboard wont pop up on the apk as of 3 days ago.  i havent heard back if its fixed

I've updated the build on our website to resolve this. Thanks.

siu99ss2

Hi, I am having similar issues as OP. 

I have a No-IP SSL cert as it was simply easier to setup than other options as I also have their Ddns service. Plus my knowledge of computers and networking is very limited so a single provider seemed the best choice.

I only realised why my FTV stick wasn’t connecting because of this thread - thanks OP for highlighting this issue  

I understand that it’s not the fault of Emby or the team but is there a list of SSL providers available which are recommended with Emby apps on devices like FireTV, AppleTV, Roku, etc?

Or will a fix be available soon?

Many thanks

20 minutes ago, siu99ss2 said:

Hi, I am having similar issues as OP. 

I have a No-IP SSL cert as it was simply easier to setup than other options as I also have their Ddns service. Plus my knowledge of computers and networking is very limited so a single provider seemed the best choice.

I only realised why my FTV stick wasn’t connecting because of this thread - thanks OP for highlighting this issue  

I understand that it’s not the fault of Emby or the team but is there a list of SSL providers available which are recommended with Emby apps on devices like FireTV, AppleTV, Roku, etc?

Or will a fix be available soon?

Many thanks

In this app there is the possibility to add a user override to force the device to accept it. On other platforms such as Roku this isn't' possible, so you'll want to look into what Roku accepts. Please note that for android, if you need immediate resolution you can sideload our standard android app on the same device: 

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

siu99ss2

Thanks Luke.

I've just tested my No-IP certificate (TrustCor) on the current Amazon FireTV Cube (2nd Gen) and it connects to my server without any issues, so this is not a problem for me anymore.

I think the AFTV Cube has Android v9 which must include the necessary signing certs.

bandit8623
9 hours ago, siu99ss2 said:

Thanks Luke.

I've just tested my No-IP certificate (TrustCor) on the current Amazon FireTV Cube (2nd Gen) and it connects to my server without any issues, so this is not a problem for me anymore.

I think the AFTV Cube has Android v9 which must include the necessary signing certs.

I did put in a ticket with no-ip last week maybe it actually went somewhere?  I'll do some more testing this weekend when I get time on my fire stick 4k

Edited by bandit8623
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

I did put in a ticket with no-ip last week maybe it actually went somewhere?  I'll do some more testing this weekend when I get time on my fire stick 4k

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.