Remote fire sticks will not connect to my server

bandit8623

bandit8623

Hello,

I have my ssl server up and running and all my users can connect remotely via android and ios apps and browsers,  but they cannot connect with the fire tv app.   says error connecting to server. have verified port as well.   also even using the connect account will fail on the fire sticks.  latest app in the fire stick store as of yesterday.

anything i can do?

rbjtech

If you can connect ok via Android and ios - then there must be something up with the FireTV sticks for some reason (they run their own flavour of Android - so if you are using the one from the FireTV 'store' then you should be good, but if you are sideloading, ensure you use the 'a' version (Amazon).

I suggest you go to the 'Manage Applications' in the FireTV, clear the cache and any data, then remove the App.  Restart the FireTV using the restart option - then reinstall - taking care to use the correct https:\\yourserver-fqdn (follow the example given) and the correct TLS (SSL) Port.

bandit8623
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

If you can connect ok via Android and ios - then there must be something up with the FireTV sticks for some reason (they run their own flavour of Android - so if you are using the one from the FireTV 'store' then you should be good, but if you are sideloading, ensure you use the 'a' version (Amazon).

I suggest you go to the 'Manage Applications' in the FireTV, clear the cache and any data, then remove the App.  Restart the FireTV using the restart option - then reinstall - taking care to use the correct https:\\yourserver-fqdn (follow the example given) and the correct TLS (SSL) Port.

thx for the response.

my sisters fire stick 4k doesnt work installed fresh never used.   my friends fire stick 4k installed yesterday doesnt connect.  my own firestick 4 using hotspot will not connect either and i have reinstalled.  i just dont know what else to try.  

-edit all using the emby from store

-jake

Edited by bandit8623

pwhodges

Is there any reason to think that the Firestick 4K has an outdated root certificate?  Mine works just fine with my LetsEncrypt cert.

Paul

bandit8623
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is your SSL Cert from Letsencrypt?

no-ip and its up to date.  just tested my cert on 3 sites all green.

cert.png.66483bb65b2c5768a6f0d7fed342c559.png

all the other apps connect just fine remotely

Edited by bandit8623

bandit8623
10 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Is there any reason to think that the Firestick 4K has an outdated root certificate?  Mine works just fine with my LetsEncrypt cert.

Paul

on 3 different devices in 3 diff homes? how would i check that?

rbjtech
32 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

thx for the response.

my sisters fire stick 4k doesnt work installed fresh never used.   my friends fire stick 4k installed yesterday doesnt connect.  my own firestick 4 using hotspot will not connect either and i have reinstalled.  i just dont know what else to try.  

-edit all using the emby from store

-jake

I know it sounds silly, but do you have your 'backslashes' around the correct way - as shown in the example on the FireTV ?

ie https:\\yourdomain.ddns.net or https://yourdomain.ddns.net - I can't remember which one the FireTV uses - but copy the example.

bandit8623
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I know it sounds silly, but do you have your 'backslashes' around the correct way - as shown in the example on the FireTV ?

ie https:\\yourdomain.ddns.net or https://yourdomain.ddns.net - I can't remember which one the FireTV uses - but copy the example.

been using https://yourdomain.ddns.net 

ill try the other.... but web and other apps use the forward slashes

-edit -tried the other way says cant connect

Edited by bandit8623

rbjtech

ping me your fqdn via pm - (I don't need a login or anything) and I'll see if I can connect via my fireTv stick .. this seems very odd !

• Like 1

bandit8623
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

ping me your fqdn via pm - (I don't need a login or anything) and I'll see if I can connect via my fireTv stick .. this seems very odd !

sent you a message

• Thanks 1

pwhodges
51 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

on 3 different devices in 3 diff homes? how would i check that?

That question was for @ebr, as I suspect he was trying to leverage a problem that has been identified in some LG televisions.

Paul

• Like 1

bandit8623
37 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

That question was for @ebr, as I suspect he was trying to leverage a problem that has been identified in some LG televisions.

Paul

that makes more sense!. 

i having weird issues with outsiders even pinging me.  but im still confused as to why the fire stick is my only trouble device in 3 different homes.  no other devices right this second have a problem connecting.

rbjtech

This is a very odd one - I'll look at it tomorrow as it's late in the UK, but the remote server is defo listening and is replying via any VPN connection I use, but is getting no response (time out) from my own public ISP IP.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

no-ip and its up to date.  just tested my cert on 3 sites all green.

cert.png.66483bb65b2c5768a6f0d7fed342c559.png

all the other apps connect just fine remotely

Did you "click here" to get uncached results?

bandit8623
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

The sideload app works. I do get a notification to accept the ssl cert though. Connected right up after this screen.  

35.thumb.png.e0ad27ec64693707f9e7b001ae9b4d0e.png

here is my phone when looking at the cert from my cellular data./

Screenshot_20211025-192006_Chrome.thumb.png.26af76306c07a05304424ed201eb6dbc.png

Edited by bandit8623

Yes the confirmation is normal. If the device doesn't trust the certificate on it's own, then we're required by the app store to force you to approve it rather than just blindly accepting it.

bandit8623
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes the confirmation is normal. If the device doesn't trust the certificate on it's own, then we're required by the app store to force you to approve it rather than just blindly accepting it.

any idea why for me and others trying to connect to my server remotely wont get the confirmation popup on the normal firestick app?  i cant expect them to sideload the app its going to be too difficult.  

Edited by bandit8623

3 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

any idea why for me and others trying to connect to my server remotely wont get the confirmation popup on the normal firestick app?  i cant expect them to sideload the app its going to be too difficult.  

We haven't added that ability yet to that app, so until that happens your ssl certificate has to be something the device trusts.